When the hurly burly's done, When the battle's lost and won. - ICM 1/72 Polikarpov U-2/Po-2VS

AliGauld

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks for the info.

I'll need to go and search the book out.

Cheers,

Alistair

I should remark in addition, that it's a comic, not to cause any disappointments when you expect a serious piece of literature, not really Shakespeare that is...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I should remark in addition, that it's a comic, not to cause any disappointments when you expect a serious piece of literature, not really Shakespeare that is...

It's OK I knew from the authors name it would be a comic.

Just picked up a digital copy of the full series.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Some primer has been flung about.

vOQIzru.jpg

qza6nnf.jpg

WJW5hAJ.jpg

Followed by Colourcoats AMT-7

nZDynud.jpg

5mll8FP.jpg

6uEICxN.jpg

A quick question for anyone who can tell me. On the Starboard wing root there is a clear part to go in. Should this be clear or painted.

I've searched the net and can't find any pictures that are sufficiently clear to see properly.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Lovely work!

On 12/09/2021 at 13:55, Chief Cohiba said:

I might get one for mine

That decal sheet is amazing. With the range of stars and fonts you could use it for lots of other soviet types. I don't want to run the temptation of building another 79 Po-2s though...

55 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Should this be clear or painted.

The thingey on the starboard side between the venturi and the elevator crank is a simple bombsight. So given that you need to see your target, I left the rectangle on the wing root open so they could see through it, and painted the edges brown to show the wood structure. My 2p worth, based on uninformed logic rather than fact.

Lots of WWI aircraft had an uncovered inboard bay for the same thing. I'm still annoyed I missed that on a DH9 I built around ten years ago!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely work!

That decal sheet is amazing. With the range of stars and fonts you could use it for lots of other soviet types. I don't want to run the temptation of building another 79 Po-2s though...

The thingey on the starboard side between the venturi and the elevator crank is a simple bombsight. So given that you need to see your target, I left the rectangle on the wing root open so they could see through it, and painted the edges brown to show the wood structure. My 2p worth, based on uninformed logic rather than fact.

Lots of WWI aircraft had an uncovered inboard bay for the same thing. I'm still annoyed I missed that on a DH9 I built around ten years ago!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

From the photos of your build I thought you had done that.

I figured it was something to do with the bombs but to have it clarified is great.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's a shame Alistair,  although I am sure it will all work out well. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm not used to such close up work with the airbrush. Just needs practice. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm certain it'll be spot-on second time round! Looking forward to seeing the results :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Oh I'll get there it might take a few attempts until I learn the tricks to get it done.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I think you really should have put some pictures up just to prove to us mortals that you can very occasionally produce a less than perfect finish. Just as encouragement, you know. I’m sure the next try will more than come up to your high standards. 

Craig. 

I'm sorry Craig but the pictures were not suitable for a family friendly forum.

I'll get it eventually.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a wee while for any updates on this.

The first attempt at freehand camo was a complete disaster. I'd used MRP for the AMT-1 and didn't like the look as I thought it was too dark.

Second attempt was with Vallejo Model Air AMT-1 but it was, in my opinion, far too light and for some reason the ColourCoats AMT-4 or AMT-12 refused to lie down over the Vallejo as it was fish-eyeing.

And finally we arrive at attempt three and back with the MRP but layered a bit more this time with 5 or 6 light coats and it looks a bit better.

ColourCoats AMT-4 has also been applied, so, just awaiting a remask and AMT-12 applied.

0YwA6wb.jpg

0yEKXLY.jpg

je5g9FY.jpg

tlWdfM7.jpg

J1acvYg.jpg

IJ2935C.jpg

Some of the strutty bits got some AMT-4 as well.

q0vDXpJ.jpg

qkvBhUv.jpg

gfTEMqk.jpg

Apologies for the lack of progress but work and stuff got in the way.

I'll get the AMT-12 on tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Very nice.  I have built this kit and enjoyed it immensely.  i see you are of the same mind!

Thanks very much.

Enjoying may be a relative term at the moment but if the AMT-12 goes OK then I'll start. :yahoo:

It is a rather lovely wee kit though. All the issues are entirely self inflicted. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some camouflage colours going on , soon be doin that rigging!!!

Great work 

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

I'm desperately trying not to fixate on that at the moment. 😉

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Colours are looking good now. I had a similar paint problems with my build - couldn't get on with the mig colours. Looking forward to yours getting finished.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

It's getting there but I will admit the paint issues have knocked my enthusiasm a tad.

Cheers,

Alistair

A bit of ColourCoats AMT-12 has ben applied.

hYasc9d.jpg

P2uDKW2.jpg

ZTsdJoL.jpg

There are some touch-ups required but I think that'll do for me.

It'll probably look a bit better once the strutty bits and the decals are on and it's not so stark.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Some struttery bits were stuck on this morning.

Firstly the cabane struts using an idea that I unashamedly pinched from AdrianMF.

h3B0nld.jpg

Then I lined up the main wing struts with the top wing but forgot to photo that bit.

Once everything was dry I got some decals on board.

HuvqFse.jpg

kbLo5Kk.jpg

The final decal that should go under the cockpit opening curled up and welded itself together on contact with the water and try as I might I couldn't get it to unravel.

So, this is going to have to go on the back burner until I can source a replacement.

Probably means I'll need to get a second kit as there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket set available.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8