Greetings from California

Groove Toad

I've been lurking for a couple of years. I like to read the kit reviews here. 

I've been getting back into the hobby. My problem is that I'm a bit ADD - "Hey look, a squirrel." I'm a history teacher in California. One of my favorite aspects of the hobby is the research. That's another thing that slows me down. Need less to say, I've been building, off and on, since 1982. Over those years I've heard people predicting the demise of plastic modelling for decades. As far as detailing, I would say we are in the heyday of model building. I remember spending hours fabricating cockpit details for the latest 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J.

I have several areas of interest - WWII ETO (especially Spitfires, Mustangs, and FW190D-9s), USN/USMC Vietnam Era Phantom IIs, and USN/USMC modern era Tomcats, and Super Bugs.

I've got several irons in the fire. It's getting off my bottom, and building one. I have the new Meng F/A-18F. It arrived last week. I can't say anything about the fit, but it looks like a good kit. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, drdjp11 said:

Welcome :)

I found Britmodeller from the kit reviews linked from Scalemates (another fantastic resource).  

Scalemates is very useful.

The thing I miss most about the hobby is local hobby shops. We had a great shop in San Bernardino, back in the 1980s. It was called Harper's Hobbies. When I bought my first airbrush, the store owner, King Kerry, took two hours to teach me how to use it, and take care of it. I still use those tricks to this day. On any given Friday, a good sized group of modelers would gather, and talk about building, painting, etc. Norton Air Force Base was still around in those days. The C-141 crew members would bring in the latest kits from Japan.

• Like 3

@Groove ToadI can say much more that hasn't been said already. Happy your not an English teacher because my writing skills have some to be desired. Anyway a big Welcome to Britmodeller from the high plains of eastern New Mexico.

I also spend hours researching a given project. Been involved in most of the plastic model realm. Aircraft in 1/48th scale in prime but have done other scales and have plans for dioramas in 1/48th scale with all the aircraft I've been certified to load bombs on in my USAF career. With the exception of the B-52D. It'll be in 1/72nd scale.

So welcome and am looking forward to your work.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Welcome aboard. Have a good look at the different forums before you decide to post any questions. And whatever you do, don't start a thread off with the words "I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but......" because it upsets @Julien :giggle:

John.

• Haha 1

Greetings from off to your northeast and welcome to the forum.

Don't get me started on the research bit or I'll be off on some tangent, looking on-line or going through my reference books.

Chris

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Welcome aboard. Have a good look at the different forums before you decide to post any questions. And whatever you do, don't start a thread off with the words "I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but......" because it upsets @Julien :giggle:

John.

I'm an old hand at using forums. Also, don't ask for medical advice. I was a moderator on a guitar forum. Guitar players are crazier than modellers. 🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Groove Toad said:

Guitar players are crazier than modellers. 🤪

Not possible. Unless they have 500 old guitars they never play. 'And this is my '70 Stratocaster that I'll get around to restringing someday...'.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Welcome to the site!

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Not possible. Unless they have 500 old guitars they never play. 'And this is my '70 Stratocaster that I'll get around to restringing someday...'.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Welcome to the site!

Or, "What's the best gauge strings for playing {fill in the blank}?"

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, Groove Toad said:

Over those years I've heard people predicting the demise of plastic modelling for decades. As far as detailing, I would say we are in the heyday of model building.

This is a great observation 😂 we're almost spoilt these days.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here 👍

• Like 1