HMS Sheffield C42 cruiser - 1:350 kits or detailed plans?

bootneck

White Ensign once produced a resin kit of this wartime cruiser to 1:350 scale but it has been out of production for a very long time, has anyone else produced a kit of this ship in anything larger than 1:700 scale?  If not, does anyone know of a plans supplier of this ship?  I believe Jecobin has retired and closed down.

Mike

Hi David,

I've just checked Iron Shipwrights and they are also out of production, with no backorder allocated to it.  The price is over $200, plus international shipping from the U.S. and taxes etc., that's a price I cannot afford.   If anyone knows of any detailed plans available then I would appreciate hearing about them.  I don't mind having a go at scratchbuilding a model of the ship, then get the p.e. for it as you mention.

cheers,
Mike

11 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Some time ago andrewa scratched a, Sheffield and Jamaica  in 1/350.  Perhaps you could email him for ideas.

Hi Tom,

Andrew's Sheffield was a White Ensign resin kit and not a scratchbuild.

10 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Had you considered using a card model such as the 1/200th Polish Modelik one which can be obtained via GPM?

Hello Francis,

yes, it looks as if that might be the only way to progress with my quest to build a model of the Sheffield.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Gidday Mike, I'm afraid I can't help you as yet although I'd like to be able to. I wish to do a conversion of an Airfix Belfast in 1/600 into HMS Sheffield one day and am on the lookout for plans of the ship too. At the smaller size I probably wouldn't need them as detailed as you but If I find something I'll let you know. Sorry I can't be of any more help just now. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Mike,

I see that the WAK website offers several useful pix of the Modelik Sheffield which will give a better feel for what you would be getting  They handled an order for me last year very well but I don't know how they would work out for overall costs now, post Brexit implementation.

https://www.wak.pl/hms-sheffield-p-2259.html

Francis

Hi Francis,

I sourced a 1:400 scale copy here in the UK and bought it and should arrive soon.  Thanks for the link, those images will be very useful indeed and at least I now know how the model 'should' look like when finished! :frantic:

cheers

Mike

Further thought is possibly this book if Birmingham is not too different from Sheffield:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruiser-Birmingham-Detailed-Original-Builders/dp/1526724979/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3K5790JMKJDOY&dchild=1&keywords=hms+birmingham&qid=1631702226&sprefix=hms+bi%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-14

I also see that the equivalent book that covers most RN WW2 types/classes has several drawings of Manchester but the text on some of the drawings is not fully legible- I can send a scan to give an idea.

• Thanks 1

Hello Francis,

Both Birmingham and Sheffield were Southampton class 1st group vessels; therefore, the hull will be the same as will most of the upperworks.  I think the only superstructure difference is the Bridge deck.   Both ships had different light armaments, or the same but in different locations etc.  Sheffield was also the first to get British radar, with the type  79Y in 1938.  Obviously, as the war progressed and technology advanced,  all ships underwent changes, upgrades or repairs to their original fits.

Thanks for the link and I have ordered the book.  Any additional information and/or images would be appreciated, thank you.

cheers,
Mike

Gidday, there is a slight difference between Birmingham and Sheffield - the bow. Sheffield had the knuckle as did nearly all RN WW2 cruisers but Birmingham was unique of that vintage cruiser in that it didn't, instead having a flared bow like a destroyer instead. That shouldn't affect deck plans though. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for that update,  I hadn't seen anything in my copy of "Cruisers of World War Two [M.J. Whitley] referring to that.  It shouldn't be a problem adding the knuckles.

cheers,
Mike

On 12/09/2021 at 07:13, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Mike, I'm afraid I can't help you as yet although I'd like to be able to. I wish to do a conversion of an Airfix Belfast in 1/600 into HMS Sheffield one day and am on the lookout for plans of the ship too. At the smaller size I probably wouldn't need them as detailed as you but If I find something I'll let you know. Sorry I can't be of any more help just now. Regards, Jeff.

There was an article in the Airfix magazine that covered just such a conversion I can't off the top of my head remember which edition though.

February 1977

Thought I'd posted the information earlier so checked & found this !

Edited by Circloy
Details already in older thread