Black RAF Squadron codes for Northrop N3-BP

Richard Tucker

Hi all,

I'm building a Northrop N3-PB for the Ragnar GB and the MPM kit comes with dull red squadron code decals. @Vingtor has helped with some colour shots of the aircraft in question. Does anyone know where I can get black RAF decals with this shape lettering please?

GS-G_3_viaEinarWilfredThorsen_fb.jpg

The decals supplied are too red for both marking options :(

y4mylY_0QjFG6QJR7zxFZhy8O4LEfIYR3IjYG_uL

I have replacement roundels and fin flashes but I don't have the letters.

Thanks

Richard

Hello

I have the Special Hobby kit of the N-3PB SH72250 and the decals are in black or red for GS*B and just black for GS*F. Sorry I keep the black codes 😉

Anyway the letters seem to be like the US letters with 45° angles, so try to find some black US letters.

Patrick

• Like 1

Some really good replies to my plea for help! My difficult was that I was searching for "RAF" codes which these aren't!

I don't have the ability to print decals and don't know anyone who does.

I've ordered some decals from Fantasy Print Shop. They aren't 100% correct but are 95% correct (G and S are slightly different). They look like I can modify them to match.

Thank you for the answers.

US-45-Degree-ID-Letters-24-72-scale-FP83

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotthldr said:

How about applying the kit supplied decals, mask them off, then spray Black. They’re all straight lines so masking will be a simple task.

Another good suggestion. I had considered painting the decals but didn't fancy my skills at doing the masking / painting well enough as I worry about the masking tape pulling off the decal next door. I'm such a chicken and so I have bought a nice new set of them.

16 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

Nope! I don't know anyone in real life that builds models other than my son and I. 

That's the same as my brother and myself, and he and I live too far away to really help each other with stuff. Not that you asked, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone, in modelling alone!

14 hours ago, Jeff G said:

I'd let you know you're not alone, in modelling alone!

As a kid, I was the same too. It is only recently that, thanks to the Internet, I've found I can get help, advice and guidance with modelling from others.

I provide this help to my son as I see him every other weekend but this means he wants to borrow masking tape, super glue, clearfix, glue, different shades of paint, primer for what ever he's building and then I have to do without for a couple of weeks until he's finished :) Which reminds me, I really must get the RLM2 back off him.....

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:08 AM, scotthldr said:

How about applying the kit supplied decals, mask them off, then spray Black.

You could paint the area covered by the codes black; apply the red kit codes, then paint the upper camouflage colors; when you peel the red kit decals off, you will have black codes left! (Just need to carefully trim the carrier film from around the kit decal codes, but I have some very small surgical scissors and scalpels that make the task pretty easy.) Another possibility is scoring an outline around each existing red code on the decal sheet, but don't go through the backing paper; paint the red codes black, and when they are removed from the backing paper, you should have black codes. Just a thought.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

I don’t know how much carrier film is covering the individual letters on that sheet, but if the corners that need to be squared off have enough film, you can mask and paint them before application while still on the backing paper. Low tack tape such as Tamiya would work. I’ve done this several times to fill in color. Of course once the decal is applied to the model it is more fragile and masking entails a much higher degree of risk.