What the devil is this?

Bullbasket

Two nights ago, around 9pm, I was pulling the curtains closed, when I saw a light shining at me from out on the road, about 40 metres away. I went out and had a look and saw this.

99df3f28-5f15-4641-b9ac-8d91e45e2afc.JPG

6b51167f-e1be-4a1f-bcdd-036172e1623a.JPG

I thought that it had fallen from a passing car and just left it there. Next morning, I looked and I could still see it shining, so I went out and picked it up. It has remained shining ever since. But I have no idea what it is, or where it's getting it's power from. There's no battery or solar power, as even when it's been in complete darkness, it remains shining. It's about one inch long and appears to be made from a kind of opaque plastic. It looks as though it has a switch on one end, but it's not, as it's solid and there are no moving parts to it.

Anyone got any (sensible) ideas as to what it is?

John.

I dunno about you guys, but I think I can see a stack of those tiny penny-style batteries inside the casing. AG13s or something like that.  If it's battery powered, it's probably from a toy, helmet light or something like that, and maybe the outer housing has been shattered and distributed by passing vehicles, just leaving that little nub from the centre either by luck or ruggedness.

I'm not saying it's Aliens, but it's not aliens :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, it looks like an LED with a couple of hearing aid batteries stacked just under the bulb and epoxied into some kind of casing.

Is the casing 3d printed or can you see casting marks?

Try waving a magnet near it, there may be a magnetic reed switch.

Without a switch it should have a fairly short life span.

Part of a toy or some kind of costume lighting?

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I dunno about you guys, but I think I can see a stack of those tiny penny-style batteries inside the casing.

You could be right Mike, but how long would the batteries last if they remained turned on for the best part of 48 hours.

2 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Is the casing 3d printed or can you see casting marks?

No, there are no markings whatsoever. It does appear to be slightly damaged at one end, so it has probably been run over by a vehicle.

John.

It is a SSUMPD Mk II. This stands for Spouse Surveillance Unnecessary Model Purchase Device. Their use is banned by Britmodeller but they still appear now and again. Don't cut it open, it will self destruct taking your latest five purchases with it.

• Haha 19

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

You could be right Mike, but how long would the batteries last if they remained turned on for the best part of 48 hours.

Couple of days if it's a new-style LED and those are good quality batteries.  Those things are seriously efficient, and I'm glad they are. :)

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Couple of days if it's a new-style LED and those are good quality batteries.  Those things are seriously efficient, and I'm glad they are. :)

If it's still shining tomorrow then I'm going to get worried that it is some alien device........or something that the authorities are not letting on about:hmmm:

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I don't want to go that far yet, as I'm curious to see how long that it remains shining.

You could be in for a suprise,when i was a kid i swiped one of those metal flashing lights they use for roadworks and kept it in my bedroom,two years before it stopped...

• Haha 6

Vey interesting: the new ones are (according to differing reports) solar powered/good for 10 days.  The latter appears most unlikely because no one in going to close motorways every 10 days to change the studs.  However the solar powered ones appear to be twinned, and recessed into the road rather than raised.  This allow them to be seen from further away, it seems.  It seems unlikely that your device, with visible standard batteries and fully sealed, would fit this description.  No idea just what it is: the fully sealed and permanently-on light appears a major contradiction in sensible design.  Perhaps there is something in the suggestion of a magnetic switch?

21 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Maybe it contains a small miniature nuclear reactor, have you tested it against a Geiger Counter John ? 

No, cos everytime that I go near it, I start glowing a funny green colour......or is that because of a dodgy curry last night?

• Haha 7

No, it's out on the veranda. But if it is ET and it comes looking for it in the night, it'd better be quiet. It's bad enough with the local farm hands and their Peugeot's with blown exhausts.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2021 at 20:04, Nocoolname said:

why are your roads made of carpet?

French village roads are routinely made of carpet, you know. It cuts down road noise, but doesn't last very long, so they often need to replace it all with one of these, left over from 1944:

482px-AVRE-Bobbin.jpg

Edited by Ade H
smaller pic
  • Haha 4