'Codger' R I P

silver911

This news has upset me more than I expected, like most of us I didn't know Codger personally but I always looked forward to seeing his comments and encouragement to others on the forum. Like @Toftdale I was thrilled when he commented on one of my builds.

Farewell Chas, we'll miss your wit, enthusiasm and undoubted skill.

Dave

• Like 4

How sad . I've only asked him a couple of things in the past ( via pm ) he was quick to answer ,very helpful , interesting . I'll never be in the market for a Pocher but enjoyed his RR build and the conversations he an Matt Black ( remember him ? Gulf colours Jag man from Ipswich ) used to have  . Really has taken the wind out of me this morning . Concolences to people on here that actually knew him and were friends . Please pass on my condolences to his family too ,thanks . Sad

RIP Codger 

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

I'd just like to add condolences to all the others - a measure of the respect we had all seemed to have for him. I hope his real world family and friends can grasp just how much this community valued and will miss his contribution. 

For me, I always strove to be more Codger, without ever coming close to his elegant neatness. He provided masterclasses in things I had never even imagined were a thing - sorting out the doors on his Rolls springs to mind but there were so many. As @Coors54 said, if he commented on my posts it was like recognition by a King. Even criticism was somehow Ok, delivered in a positive well-meaning style.

He made quite an impression for someone I didn't know.

To his family and friends please accept my deepest regrets, my thoughts for what they are worth are with you.

Nick

• Like 6

I learned about Codger's demise a few days ago, and was saddened to hear about it from Ron.  I always got a good vibe from Chas, and as others have already said more eruditely, he was one of the hobby's good guys.  I used to drop in occasionally to his thread for a catch-up, and was glad to hear that it's going to be continued in his absence.  I hope they have the internet where he's gone so he can keep abreast of progress :)

RIP Chas :(

• Like 11

Very sad news indeed. I understod Codger was fighting a bit of health issues, but not like this. I came to know him through this forum as a very nice gentleman and a very skilled modeller, and not least someone who would always speak if he a good tip to give to improve something in a build. Always in positive spirit. He will be missed around here.

R.I.P Chas, and good motoring where you are now.

• Like 2

@NickD, I like that - "try to be a bit more Codger", I reckon we could all use that as a mantra to go through life with not just in our modelling.

Another would be to "try and be a bit more Ron" when building and painting F1 models.....

Heart warming to see that the man had such an effect on so many people.

Dave

• Like 7

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. My most heartfelt condolences to his family. Chas was a wonderful person. Though I am new to this forum, he welcomed me with open arms, and both helped and inspired me in many ways. I will miss him.

God bless and keep you, Chas.

• Like 3

I can only repeat what has already been said. 

I only ever encountered him through this august site, but he always struck me as the consummate modeller and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot. I've been fighting with a Pocher Alfa for some years now, and his builds gave me the inspiration to persevere. He will be greatly missed, and my sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

• Like 2

Very sad to hear of this news, I enjoyed following his Rolls thread on here, such fantastic talented guy I will greatly miss on here. Rest in peace, codger

• Like 2

This is really sad news. My condolences to his loved ones.

Personally I will miss him very much as he always had good advice and was very supportive to all of us.

He stimulated me many times to continu the build of the Alfa and it is a pity that he hasn’t seen it finished.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

• Like 4

Sad news indeed, and a loss to this community and the world in general. I'll miss his "well done, now go build something in 1/8 scale", always accompanied by the guy with the whip :whip:

My condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 4

Chas was a tremendous builder and teacher. His rolls thread was epic not only in the end result but also in the journey. He was quick to chime in on other threads with words of encouragement and helpful suggestions. His emoji/gif was excellent too. 

We will all miss you my friend. My heart goes out to your family. 

• Like 5

Only yet I started visiting britmodeller again. For many personal reasons I couldn't do that for several months. I wondered why I wouldn't read any posts by Mr. C and was mildly alarmed. Then by chance I fell over a comment on Rons thread and was really concerned. I headed over to the Sedanca sticky thread only to find my way here...

This is really sad news to me. I was looking forward to getting back into my conversations with Chas. I don't think there are many gentlemen like him around these days. Always willing to help, always friendly, no matter what happened. I know Mr. C had many interests besides modelling and was always eager to share his passion and experiences. He would take the time to explain in detail again and again if only you asked - until you fully understood his point. His patience in this regard was as endless as his patience when chasing his vision. Even his wording was always elaborate.

We all have lost a great mentor and a very supportive member of this community. The biggest ambassador of large scale car modelling one can imagine. Even more like a preacher at times - you car modellers know, what I mean.

I know I will miss his guidance and the countless references he always had on hand.

Thank you, Mr. C, Codger, Chas... Rest in peace my friend.

Jan

@silver911 thank you for posting these bad news and making sure this thread would be found. Very thoughtful. I have no contact with codgers family, so I would never have known what happened if you had not informed us.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I know I will miss his guidance and the countless references he always had on hand.

Thank you, Mr. C, Codger, Chas... Rest in peace my friend

I only quoted the end but  your whole comment is very well said . 

• Like 2

I come back to the forum after a couple of weeks, and see this ...

I'm truly devastated by this terrible news.

Chas and I stayed in touch through emails, I was wondering why he hadn't replied to my last mail.

You will be deeply missed Mr. C, may your next place be filled with gorgeous Pocher classics.

Farewell my friend, thank you for the honor of being your friend.

Pascal

• Like 2

Been away from BritModeller for many months and just came back to read this awful news.  Always thought of Codger to be from the "head table" at BM and a master of the craft.   

He only chipped in a few times to comment on my own perverse style of scratch building but even though it was a criticism he was always kind and was usually correct.   I was more 

flattered than put off that someone of his obvious calibre took the time to look and comment on my efforts.  A great loss to this forum.

Frank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, albergman said:

Been away from BritModeller for many months and just came back to read this awful news

Same here, I'm afraid.

Such sad news, indeed. He was a gentleman and a scholar, whose passion for modelling was evident in all his musings and comments. I will miss him. 

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP Chas. 

Harvey.

• Like 1