'Codger' R I P

silver911

It is with deep sadness and a heavy heart that I write this, to inform the members of the passing of a dear friend and valued member of the forum.

Late in the evening of the 6th of September 2021, following a long battle with illness, Codger (Chas) passed away peacefully.

For me personally, this is a huge loss. Not only as a friend but, as someone who was always supportive to me in times of stress and indecision.

He was the epitome of a gentleman, and the consummate diplomat, who's passion for modelling was evident in his work, as well as in his support for the work of others.

We were in daily contact until he became too ill to do so. He had intended to make an announcement for himself to the forum, which sadly he never got to do.

Below are the words he sent me, expressing his love for the hobby and forum, which say it far better than I ever could.....

In the last few weeks, I have learned that I am being reassigned by the Gods of Model Building to build models in the next dimension. I write to thank each one of you who have found merit in anything I wrote or showed here and all your kindness throughout. Your friendships and glorious technical work have been my 'fuel'.

There are many to thank but especially Admins Greg B and Mike for all help and the privilege of my own pinned thread of beloved Pochers and my only achievement, Rolls Sedanca.

I am attempting to provide the conclusion of dear friend David Cox's 540 masterpiece. To that end I obtained his permission and the help of dear friend Ron Clark - much more than a friend. He has agreed to receive from Cox rest of build as Dave completes. And continue to update the thread.

There are literally no words for my gratitude and enjoyment received from you all.

I wish you all HEALTH and peaceful lives. And may the next thing you produce with your own hands give supreme satisfaction.

Respect to all Codger.

Rest in Peace my friend and brother x

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Sad 49

So sad at Codger’s passing. His posts were always informative, encouraging and entertaining, especially to those of us who indulge in the black art of “Pochers”. A true master of his craft.

RIP Chas.

Chris

• Like 2

Very sad news indeed and a huge loss to the forum. A very talented modeller indeed but for me I really enjoyed the way he encouraged everyone to push their own limits and improve their skills 

RIP Chas 

Andy J 

• Like 2

Good morning to all, gentlemen 

reading this post, tears drop on my cheeks and have no more voice.

Codger were my godfather on this forum.

when I was posting my WIP Pocher Bugatti on an American one, he encouraged me to move on Britmodeller and “stung “ me regularly to give my best.

I sincerely regret not to have finished this model, as he wished, before he passed away.

I’ve, me too, lost a friend and a great mentor.

Things will not be anymore as they were, now.

Respect Chas…

• Like 5

Sad news indeed.  Codger's posts were always entertaining and informative, a real treat to read.  His contributions will be missed.

RIP Chas/Codger, my your journey through the afterlife be accompanied by the sound of side-oiler 427 Fords and kits that provide all the satisfaction with rather fewer of the more frustrating aspects of Pocher classics.

• Like 4

Although I have enjoyed reading every comment that has come my way since joining this forum,  there was something special about the time you received a notification to say that Codger had commented to your post, only happened to me twice, but these were the ones that made me feel I'd finally made it.

I'm sure Ron having great friends like yourself gave him great comfort,  I only hope he understood the great reverence he was held in. 

RIP Codger

Andy

• Like 7

I did not personally know Chas the Codger, but I was an admirer of his work. Our modeling community is greatly diminished by his passing. My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and followers.

• Like 3

I am sorry to hear of Codger's passing, and my condolences and best wishes are extended to his family and friends.  I find his pinned Rolls-Royce blog to be informative and helpful, and moreover, inspirational and aspirational, allowing us see what can be achieved in the hobby.  I appreciate him taking the time to translate process and technique in a way that is immensely useful - from afar, it certainly appears that he more than enjoyed the hobby, and dedicated time to learn, do, and share, all of which is appreciated by many model builders, including me.  

RIP Codger.

Nick 

• Like 4

As others have said, truly terrible news. While I know Codger had dropped hints that he wasn't in the best of health, I didn't expect the end to come so soon. I can only hope he's enjoying life in a new place where Pocher have brought out a scale even larger than 1/8.

While others knew him much better, it is something he wrote in the OP of this thread which sums him up most for me:

11 hours ago, silver911 said:

... and the privilege of my own pinned thread of beloved Pochers and my only achievement, Rolls Sedanca.

I don't mean that Codger achieved nothing other than his Sedanca, it's the self-effacing nature of this statement which sums him up. Always played down his considerable skills, and I still wonder if he realised that his main achievement on this site wasn't the beautiful model, but the encouragement and enthusiasm he communicated and transferred to us mere mortals here. And I get the distinct impression that that is something which translated into the real world too and he achieved much more than he let on.

RIP, and I hope his family are aware of how much his influence spread around the world.

• Like 8