PLAN 1/700 Type 055 Destroyer "NanChang"

Hi mates!

This is my latest work finished last weekend, the PLAN 1/700 Type 055 Destroyer "NanChang".

The kit was a present from Flyhawk boss, when we visited them in the end of this May, so I would like to build it out to show my appreciation.

The type 055 destroyer is one of the biggest, and so called most capable destroyers in the world.

The full displacement is around 12,000 ton which is even bigger than most WW2 heavy cruisers.

So no wonder why US side categorize it as "cruiser".

01.jpg
02.jpg

This is the third ship named as "NanChang" which is the city PLA started their initial revolution.

The hull number 101 was used by PLA very first destroyer "AnShan" which is actually a second hand Soviet navy WW2 destroyer.

So you can see the high expectation to this ship from the combination of "NanChang" and "101".

03.jpg

04.jpg

I started the kit on 11th July and finished on 5th September, less than 2 month all in.

Kit: Sphyrna Models HTP7001

Accessories:

Some of the metal parts from Sphyrna Models HTP7001S Delux ver.

Shipyard J7015 super detail set

Steel Shield 3D print parts

Orange Hobby 3D print H/PJ-11 1130 CIWS

Hunter pre-cut masking tape

Northstar 3D print salor figures

Dodo Models 3D print Z-20 helicopter

I chose the state during sea trials, and some life rafts were added to the deck.
As a new ship, the equipment of "NanChang" is still being upgraded, such as the photos taken by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force this year.
Some new antennas and radars have been added to the second deck, so you only need to conduct research and production at a certain point in time.

05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

As a large ship designed for stealth effect, its details are bound to be simple and monotonous.

How to highlight its texture and heaviness under the premise of ensuring the neatness is a major problem in this coloring and obsolescence.
After regular stain washing and repeated adjustments of the filter several times, I finally got a relatively satisfactory result.
09.jpg
10.jpg

Edited by haneto
Update photos
  • Like 10

Although the overall design is quite simple, actually there are lots of small details and add-on.

It cost me much more time than expected, but simply not so visible after installing, which is indeed quite annoying...

Now move to details.

The lifebuoy is colored with fluorescent paint, just for fun.

11.jpg

The 130mm main gun is fixed with 2mm magnets as usual and can rotate smoothly.
12.jpg

It is also common practice for bridge window glass to use transparent plastic sheet to make the glass window effect.
13.jpg

The VLS is sprayed according to the actual photo.
Add the life raft during sea trials, increase the details and highlights
14.jpg

Some life rafts for sea trials are also added to the middle of the hull.
15.jpg

The weapon deck is colored according to the actual object, the non-slip layer is dark gray, and the heat-resistant layer is lighter medium gray.
16.jpg
17.jpg

Helicopter deck is painted by masking tape according to actual photos.
Windshield and windows of Z-20 is painted by chrome silver with clear blue coated, to replicate the transparency effect.
18.jpg
19.jpg

Edited by haneto
Update new pics
  • Like 9

Some more overall shots.

20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg

One of the fun in 1/700 scale is you can easily compare the size of any ship with another.

So this is the comparison between 40,000 ton class and 10,000 ton class.

23.jpg

And comparison between RN type 22 firgate.
24.jpg

Comparison between modern destroyer and WW2 destroyer.
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg

Edited by haneto
Update new pics
  • Like 8

The actual size of the model, compared with my hand.

28.jpg

36.jpg
37.jpg

Please let me know if you are interested to see WIP pictures(I selected around 100 photos!).

Thanks for watching and have a nice day.

Edited by haneto
Update new pics
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, haneto said:

The type 055 destroyer is one of the biggest, and so called most capable destroyers in the world.

The full displacement is around 12,000 ton which is even bigger than most WW2 heavy cruisers.

So no wonder why US side categorize it as "cruiser".

Gidday Haneto, I think the definitions of cruiser and destroyer have become a little blurred in modern ships such as this. It was interesting comparing this model to that of the IJN Yukikaze, herself a large destroyer in her day.

This looks a rather powerful warship, and as usual you've done an excellent model of her. Regards, Jeff.

11 hours ago, haneto said:

Please let me know if you are interested to see WIP pictures(I selected 80 photos!).

That is very impressive for 1/700! I've got this ship in 1/350 and eagerly awaiting an opportunity to get stuck into it.

The detail of your work makes it seem like 1/350! What caught my attention most was the Z-20 detail and the fact that you've got the torpedo hatches etched out on the hull at that scale.

Please do share your WIP as I will be using that when I start building mine.

12 hours ago, haneto said:

no wonder why US side categorize it as "cruiser".

It's not just displacement that determines a vessel designation. A NATO cruiser defintion differs from a destroyer in that is can also accommodate command staff. So there's a functional aspect in addition to size.

The more recent PLAN ship designs have quite some aesthetic appeal. The Renhai class cruiser may look a bit bare, but to me it looks like they've taken a bit of inspiration from the Singaporean Formidable class frigate regarding stealth features. Definitely a ship that means business!

• 1 month later...