23 Squadron FGR2 **Finished**

FortyEighter

On 9/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, FortyEighter said:

Well it looks like we don't have a tail sitter:

20210916_153507

and there are still radome, seats, splitter plates, canopy to attach to the front - but just to be absolutely certain I've added some lead shot to the radome before fitting it.

I did look back through my two previous Phantom build threads but I'd made no mention in either of them as to whether or not any weight had been added.

Built MANY Hasegawa F-4s & NEVER needed nose weight!!

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

As the change of title says; this aircraft is now XV406 "A" which served with 23 Squadron from January 1978 until about 1983:

20211030_160438

The serial numbers have been made by cutting XV4 and 06 from different decals - with a bit more cutting I should be able to get the "406" for the top of the fin too.

Given the size of the underwing serial numbers, applying them in two parts certainly made it easier to get them to conform where the inboard pylons fit:

The kit decals have a somewhat matt carrier film, hopefully they will look OK with a coat of gloss over them but I'll check a couple of the spare ones on the sheet beforehand.

Those decals look really great, like painted on and carrier film-less. Whats your secret?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Those decals look really great, like painted on and carrier film-less. Whats your secret?

Hi Paul

Firstly there is almost no excess carrier film on those decals (Xtradecal) but they did take at least two applications of Microsol to get them to really settle into any panel lines.  Strangely the underwing serials seemed to be much thinner than the squadron flash etc BUT they were off a different sheet.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I decided to go with Xtradecal stencils rather than the kit ones, so the top side is now finished .......

20211106_141409

..... and lurking in the background is XV466 "E", a Falkland Islands 23 Sqn bird (not part of this GB as it had already been painted).

• Like 6

• FortyEighter changed the title to 23 Squadron FGR2 **Finished**