MiG-15bis on a wintry Soviet airfield

Hi all,

This one was a long time in the finishing, but I got there in the end! In 2018 I had the idea to pair the Eduard Mig_15bis with the Zil-157 fuel tanker/bowser from Omega. Some of the diorama inspiration came from the tanker box art (Link here). Since that time, other projects and two house moves bumped this build down the priority list. I picked up a very small bit of shaped MDF from Telford one year with this project in mind (the edges took a lot of sanding/varnish to make them smooth).

The Eduard MiG-15bis kit was a straightforward build with nice details (including colour PE for the cockpit). The 'oversprayed' Korean war markings did not come out well, so I added them back in by hand in oils, which looked OK. The only aftermarket was the Eduard Brassin resin wheels. I opened up an engine access panel on the side of the aircraft and added some very basic internal detail. The tanker kit had nice details but poor fit, especially around the clear parts which took some coaxing to sit right. I posed the aircraft and tanker on printed hexagonal airfield texture from Scale Model Scenery. I bought some (expensive) scenic snow kit from Deluxe, mainly to support my local hobby shop, but the product was disappointing and the snowflakes would only suit 1/35 or larger scales. I ended up adding some good old baking powder to the base which looked better as wind-blown fine snow. I added PE ladders, maintenance gantry, chocks and intake and engine covers from Eduard Res-IM. I made a 'tarp' from foil, tissue and PVA, and added one mechanic figure with spanner in hand fiddling with the open access panel, and another figure climbing the fuel bowser. The figures were 'Frankenfigures' cobbled together from Preiser and Revell U-boat sets, and a fair bit of 'green stuff'! Additional PE tools and tool box came from Brengun. Hope you like the pics.

20210906_223227

20210906_223209

20210906_223142

20210906_223125

• Like 41

16 minutes ago, Josip said:

If you can and still have the will to do so, please make a bigger surface for both models. Let them breathe. As a diorama this just isn't it. At least for my eyes. Way too crowded. 

Fair enough...I decided from the outset it would be a small model (I am limited on display space)!

I love this vignette!

To me I don't need a big display or have everything "fit" inside the boundaries of the base

You have expertly conveyed the feeling of the scene and the cold and the snow and you really get the sense of that

The "frankenfigures" looks like they are toiling about their tasks and I think this is an absolute cracker!

If I ever do something like this I'll use the tip on the baking powder for sure :)

Cheers

Nut

• Thanks 1