Soviet Post-War Spitfire Mk.IX 1/48 ICM

Hi All!

My friend made a gift for me.

Spitfire Mk. IX    ICM 1/48 of the very first casts. But without decals

I decided to create a  soviet post-war Spitfire

Native Russian decals nearby

United Kingdom delivered to the USSR in 1944-45 about 1300 Spitfires- 9 (and 16)  These aircraft were highly rated by the Russians, but were used minimally during the war

These aircraft were apparently kept in case of a new war, at least until the Korean War and the MiG-15.  I think so

I chose a typical post-war Ла-11 and Як-9 paint job, completely gray I have no confirmation of such coloring. This is my guess. I think this is quite probable.  In 1948-1950

We have little information about the post-war slave in the USSR of captured and Lend-Lease aircraft. Usually information is limited to individual photos

I only added bumps from the wheels on the top of the wing

Paint GUNZE

Enjoy watching!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38

20 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice model. I didn't realize the Russians received Spitfires.

Thanks!

MкV  fought on the fronts since 1943, Mk IX  more in the air defense of Moscow, Leningrad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I chose a typical post-war Ла-11 and Як-9 paint job, completely gray I have no confirmation of such coloring. This is my guess. I think this is quite probable.  In 1948-1950

We have little information about the post-war slave in the USSR of captured and Lend-Lease aircraft. Usually information is limited to individual photos

50483390351_054f0e34cb_o.pngSpit vert no2_zps8sciyndv by losethekibble, on Flickr

is the only post war VVS Spitfire photo I have seen,  looks to be green over light blue, but could be dark grey uppers. 

Seems that just after the war most planes got repainted,  maybe to keep ground crew busy, or for victory parades.    But who know what else happened.....until more photos leak out, if they even exist! 

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I only added bumps from the wheels on the top of the wing

these are a post war British modification.  

30 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I didn't realize the Russians received Spitfires.

about 1,500!

mostly MkIX's, used by air defence units, PVO,  in 1945,  27 out of 81 PVO units were equipped with Spitfire's,  sadly photos are very very scarce.  The one above is the only one I know of showing a full repaint. 

The best overview on the subject is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lend-Lease-Soviet-Aviation-Second-World/dp/1911512269

51qPyr-Vz7L._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

the profiles are poor,  but the rest is very informative. 

@Dmitry neat model, :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

50483390351_054f0e34cb_o.pngSpit vert no2_zps8sciyndv by losethekibble, on Flickr

is the only post war VVS Spitfire photo I have seen,  looks to be green over light blue, but could be dark grey uppers. 

Seems that just after the war most planes got repainted,  maybe to keep ground crew busy, or for victory parades.    But who know what else happened.....until more photos leak out, if they even exist! 

these are a post war British modification.  

about 1,500!

mostly MkIX's, used by air defence units, PVO,  in 1945,  27 out of 81 PVO units were equipped with Spitfire's,  sadly photos are very very scarce.  The one above is the only one I know of showing a full repaint. 

The best overview on the subject is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lend-Lease-Soviet-Aviation-Second-World/dp/1911512269

51qPyr-Vz7L._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

the profiles are poor,  but the rest is very informative. 

@Dmitry neat model, :goodjob:

Thank You Friend

Imported aircraft at parades in the USSR were never shown. Spitfires were out of sight after the war. Some of them may have been repainted, others may have remained in British colors.  Some solid secrets. Here's an example   TASHKENT SUMMER 1951    DOUGLAS BOSTON A-20C(?), Сartographic Novosibirsk Squadron.  But "СССР-Ф24Х", such a number, it seems, was not there according to the documents. And the planes were A-20G.....Сolor is not clear...    Green? Russian 4БО? The photo is genuine. My grandfather is here (left)

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

DOUGLAS BOSTON A-20C(?)

Great photo Dmitry!  ! I can't see a turret, so an A-20C is possible, though the VSS was the main user of the A-20, using all the variants?  I have seen B, C, G and J in photos. 

@Sydhuey maybe able to add more. 

The book I link above does mention the still widespread use of Lend Lease aircraft in the 1950's,  including how the P-39 and P-63 became important trainers for jet pilots because of their tricycle under carriage.  Book not to hand,  so can't check what is said about the A-20 post war. 

best wishes

Troy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Dmitry this is a historical and important to all Russian aviation historians. Any idea of the nose configuration--was it modified A-20G for cartographic work?  

I think it is A-20C. Rear turret visible. Glass noss A-20C was just suitable for aerial photography

Although my grandfather spoke about the A-20G.....There were 20 different Bostons in this squad.

Another would be to find the tail number of the USSR - Ф 24Х. Third number unknown

Make sure to make the model

• Like 2

A-20B or C, open gun position , smaller intake of the B/C , G ran a larger intake incorporating a tropical filter going back from front of engine cowl, also G's were only solid nose , Glass nose didn't come in till the J model which had a turret, only real way to distinguish is to have the nose uncovered to see if it is a stepped (B) or slopped (C) nose. 

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

A-20B or C, open gun position , smaller intake of the B/C , G ran a larger intake incorporating a tropical filter going back from front of engine cowl, also G's were only solid nose , Glass nose didn't come in till the J model which had a turret, only real way to distinguish is to have the nose uncovered to see if it is a stepped (B) or slopped (C) nose. 

A lot of unclear 

Serial number unknown.   The number was painted over on the tail

Another riddle: 

Novosibirsk Cartografic Squadron  A-20 Bostons 1946-1952

СССР- Ф-211

СССР- Ф-212

СССР- Ф-220

СССР-Ф-227

СССР-Ф-256

СССР-Ф-289

СССР-Ф-293

СССР-Ф-299

СССР-Ф-300

СССР-Ф-283

СССР-Ф-284

СССР-Ф-341

СССР-Ф-342

СССР-Ф-344

СССР-Ф-225

СССР-Ф-237

СССР-Ф-286

СССР-Ф-330

СССР-Ф-378

СССР-Ф-379

СССР-Ф-380

Where is   CCCР -Ф- 24(X)?  And also A-20 B / C?  Only very brave guys could fly this in 1951. The plane is clearly front-line, it is 10 years old. And there are no spare parts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

This is an amazing model, Dmitry!

I have never seen a Spitfire in this livery.

Red stars on the upper wings, unusual for VVS aircraft, add a touch of color!

Roman, thank you!

Red stars on top of the Lend-Lease planes were typical during the war (Spit, P-39), Americans painted stars  on the wings both the right and left.

After the war (1946), the VVS adopted a top-star design. And full of gray coloring.  "А-36г" gloss blue-gray paint

Dmitry--did your grandfather describe the cartographic missions or locations? Did they travel to the Far East or southern border?  Any border encounters with Americans, Brits or Chinese? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Topic is fascinating. 

Dear Dmitry,

What a lovely build of a subject not known to me before. I have flown over your area many times and have been struck by its beauty and vastness. I have also often wondered how many things are out there to be found in the future. I never before thought that might include a Spitfire! I look forward to seeing your next creation. 
best wishes from The Netherlands!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Dmitry--did your grandfather describe the cartographic missions or locations? Did they travel to the Far East or southern border?  Any border encounters with Americans, Brits or Chinese? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Topic is fascinating. 

I did not specifically study this topic. The range was not that great. They did not fly along the borders  

There were several cartographic aviation units. Each had its own part of the territory of the USSR

A lot of these Bostons crashed. Fate and crew names are not always clear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1