***Finished***USAAF p-47

18 hours ago, phat trev said:

Useful pile of Spitfire parts to start your project good luck with the conversions. There are a few Spitfire XIIs being built on here so it will be good to see them all. 

Not thought of doing a XII that way around

Gondor

18 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Assume the process will be similar as I’m using an AZ ix and Sword XIV

I haven't offered up the AZ IX wing to the Sword XIV fuselage so can't comment.

Edited by Beard
to correct grammar.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, Giorgio N said:

Not sure I got your request right.. do you mean to shorten the cowling?

I'll send you some measurements later today. In the meantime, do you have drawings? If not let me know and I'll send you something 

Missed this post, I’m confused as to where to make the cut

18 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Missed this post, I’m confused as to where to make the cut

Now if I understand right you're cutting a Mk.XIV fuselage to shorten the cowling, am I correct ? My comments will be based on this approach, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll amend accordingly.

The cowling must be removed at the firewall, and this seems to be what you've done. The firewall however is not straight but is stepped where the upper cowling panel meets the end of the cowling itself, with the lower part of the firewall line slightly ahed of the upper part.. or at least, this is what happens with the Mk.V, IX and XII (and other variants...)

On the Mk,XIV, the panel line on a model is in the same position as in the other variants on the lower side, the upper side is angled forward. In doubt, cut straight following the lower firewall line. Then you can make the step by sanding the upper fuselage portion (use any Mk.IX or others to see what I mean).

If you've not cut in the right place, no panic ! If you've cut ahead of the firewall, just remove some plastic until you reach the firewall. If you've cut behind the firewall, then add the missing length with plasticard sheets roughly cut to shape, glued in place as if were bulkheads and then sanded to the correct shape.

According to Ventura's Seafire XV and XVII, that look accurate in this respect, the engine cowling should be 26.9 mm long, with the excess length removed from the side where you cut it from the rest of the fuselage. The XIV cowling is longer because of the presence of the second compressor stage and relative bits, that are all located behind the engine. The distance between spinner plate and exhausts stays the same so no need to touch the front of the cowling.

If my explanation is not clear, I'll send some drawings and I cn post a picture using a Fujimi Spitfire XIV fuselage as basis, with a few lines on top courtesy of a marker

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

Now if I understand right you're cutting a Mk.XIV fuselage to shorten the cowling, am I correct ? My comments will be based on this approach, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll amend accordingly.

The cowling must removed at the firewall, and this seems to be what you've done. The firewall however is not straight but is stepped where the upper cowling panel meets the end of the cowling itself, with the lower part of the firewall line slightly ahed of the upper part.. or at least, this is what happens with the Mk.V, IX and XII (and other variants...)

On the Mk,XIV, the panel line on a model is in the same position as in the other variants on the lower side, the upper side is angled forward. In doubt, cut straight following the lower firewall line. Then you can make the step by sanding the upper fuselage portion (use any Mk.IX or others to see what I mean).

If you've not cut in the right place, no panic ! If you've cut ahead of the firewall, just remove some plastic until you reach the firewall. If you've cut behind the firewall, then add the missing length with plasticard sheets roughly cut to shape, glued in place as if were bulkheads and then sanded to the correct shape.

According to Ventura's Seafire XV and XVII, that look accurate in this respect, the engine cowling should be 26.9 mm long, with the excess length removed from the side where you cut it from the rest of the fuselage. The XIV cowling is longer because of the presence of the second compressor stage and relative bits, that are all located behind the engine. The distance between spinner plate and exhausts stays the same so no need to touch the front of the cowling.

If my explanation is not clear, I'll send some drawings and I cn post a picture using a Fujimi Spitfire XIV fuselage as basis, with a few lines on top courtesy of a marker

I think that's clear 

1. As I've done cut the firewall though lost the upper section so card and filler will sort that out. 

2. Then shorten the cowling at the fuselage side, in the picture the right hand blue section. 

• 1 month later...

Lost interest in this, maybe one day Ill come back to the XII, and the XI won't happen now as I've now don't have a D wing going spare.  Thinking of doing a USAAF trio like the revell 8th air force legends set, of a p-47, p-51 and b-17 on one airfix multi stand.......got a p-51 in the stash and got myself a 47 today, which I will be doing first., always wanted the set and kicking myself I didn't buy the one in my local years ago as I was terriefied of the NMF b-17, one on ebay now but at 60 quid just too pricy as I would be getting aftermarket decals for the fortress, having done a canberra in nmf recently still terrified of doing such a large aircraft as such.....anyway high bidder on the regular revell b-17G boxing though if im outbid I'm not unhabby as actually leaning towards getting the F instead as I've done the airfix before which this will replace. 

s-l500.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Didn’t get to start it today as I had to get some of my diecast boxes out to put some bits in various ones, which is not an easy task given the layout of our loft and it was really warm so in the end all I’ve done is part convert a couple of p-51s from fixed gear down to gear up config.  And paint the white stripes that the maker missed on Detroit miss , also won that b-17 so it will be a revell G9-A1-E956-D-110-B-46-EE-AE6-B-2-C5-C301-

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Mustangs done, bit crude and one day Ill do them better and made a start on the P-47 and the b-17's on route.  First p-47 I think I've got the right combo of interior and inner cowling colours, in this case Dark Dull Green and Aluminium, always done them both in either Interior Green or Zinc Chromate. Also lost a few hours as I could only find one of my spare nose checks for a couple of 363rd FG mustangs, went through my entrire decal options, had my desk and bed out (sometimes use it to go through decals) only to find after I'd given up the spare actually was in the orginal plile of mustang ones after alll...and I proably not gong to go with a 363rd one anyway *rolls eyes* 

36104433-E35-F-48-AD-B345-DACFEB39-C438.3-AA1332-D-C87-B-4-A45-80-F4-C81-ABF154-905-E27-B5-C8-C9-44-BC-982-B-1-F13-C4953

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

A gear door that didn’t play ball, a shopping trip that went wrong then the awful news breaking just after I got home limited progress, finally got the underside done, now just to touch up  the top reattach the gun barrels that have escape and paint them all and it will be decal ready. 50-F601-CA-0-F18-43-DF-A6-E1-AA226354-E9

• Like 1

Picked this up today so it won’t be the airfix mustang in the stash I will build for this, though won’t be starting it soon as the silver I had hoped to use proved inadequate on another built so the adequate will have to wait till my next paint top up which could be a while as I’m well stocked. Decided on the scheme will be Petie 2nd.  Also the b-17 arrived the on the sad day again will be a while before I  start it , got a load of Gb entries to finish E2475172-E895-4073-B1-D7-C9-F8-F1-A97-EB

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slight delay as didn’t quite have the stripes positioned right so couldn’t use the bottom decals and had to manually paint them all, also realised once the matt varnish was on the olive drab was a better match for my b-17 repair so repainted and varnished that. Finally both are now done D9733-F02-E0-E0-4-CAC-9-EEC-E2-BFD79-F2-

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***Finished***USAAF p-47