1/72 Aircraft canopies

BillF67

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have real problems painting 1/72 canopy frames. Way back when I was a lad (60’s) I’m pretty sure that some kits came with the frame and the “glass” as separate items. The clear element was suitably indented to almost snap into place under the frame. Paint frame, insert transparency and job done.

Is this something that could be achieved with 3D printing and could I bribe anyone to do it if it is possible? I for one would happily cough up given how much it would improve the look of my completed models. As it is, I dread canopies🥺 despite having tried all the tips and tricks - I just can’t seem to do them.

Thanks for reading.

Bill

That was great, Edge. Checked out the site and there’s  a photo etch for a Mk1 Hurricane canopy - and the packaging provides the transparency.  Just what I wanted.

Very many thanks

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillF67 said:

Is this something that could be achieved with 3D printing

Short answer: no.  Not for the home user or to the quality you're looking for, and not without a CAD model to print.

Long answer yes, but with a bunch of caveats.  (specific professional machines/materials, you'd be better off printing a vac-form buck, the frames would be thick and clunky, you'd be farther ahead just paying someone to mask and paint your frames for you, etc. etc.)

Thanks, ICMF. I sort of thought that would be the case or the market would be awash with them. On the bright side, as long as I stick to Hurricanes (see above) I’m cushty!

• 8 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, BillF67 said:

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have real problems painting 1/72 canopy frames. Way back when I was a lad (60’s) I’m pretty sure that some kits came with the frame and the “glass” as separate items. The clear element was suitably indented to almost snap into place under the frame. Paint frame, insert transparency and job done.

Is this something that could be achieved with 3D printing and could I bribe anyone to do it if it is possible? I for one would happily cough up given how much it would improve the look of my completed models. As it is, I dread canopies🥺 despite having tried all the tips and tricks - I just can’t seem to do them.

Thanks for reading.

Bill

I had the same problem - the solution: "painted decals" paint transparent decal foil and cut thin strips. Apply this with the help of "Future".

• Thanks 1