Heller 1/48 Mirage IVP +++Finished+++

Bjorn

I had (and still have) other plans for this GB. But when I heard of the forthcoming release of the 1/48 Modelsvit Mirage IV, i realised that if i don't build this one now, I will probably never do it:

51432528503_111087d6f3_c.jpg

So let's get started! 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 9

WOW. :analintruder:

I really like this. I got the same kit, and most of your AM stuff as well in my stash. 

Are you going for a nuclear bomber or recon bird with your build?

As for my self I've been pondering to do mine as an Israeli secret  and very classified nuclear bomber. :wicked:

/Bosse :popcorn::beer: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

Are you going for a nuclear bomber or recon bird with your build?

Yes, it is an amazing aircraft! :D I will build the P version, but have not decided yet if I will include the missile or not.

• Like 1

I started with the worst part: Re-scribing all panel lines. Millions of small hatches and circles... But now it is done! 

51434802272_455c912ab3_c.jpg

Next step was far more enjoyable: Painting the Neomega cockpit. It is not of Aires quality, a bit crude, but it will do - the cockpit openings are pretty small. I added instrument panel decals from my spares box.

51436528370_b69b25c02e_c.jpg

51436528410_6b08858247_c.jpg

51434819607_6978dc469e_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 8

Very nice!

I read about the Modelsvit release on my vacation.... Great news  but I have exactly the same thoughts.... let's see if I also venture into this field... scribing though....  :puke:... never done as of yet....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too have this kit and some aftermarket for it and also feel prompted by the prospect of Modelsvit kit.

One thing I was looking into was colours for painting. It seems that French air force colours are notoriously difficult to get matches for. I tend to use either Gunze or Hataka paints and so far the best advice appears to be to use the same green and grey as on the RAF wraparound scheme and tweak according to references. Have you decided what paint you're going to use?

On 23/09/2021 at 12:01, Filler said:

I tend to use either Gunze or Hataka paints and so far the best advice appears to be to use the same green and grey as on the RAF wraparound scheme and tweak according to references. Have you decided what paint you're going to use?

Yes, I am going for the RAF colours, but from Mr Paint. The problem is that they do not have the new ones, only the WWII versions. So I have to do some mixing, I think.

Next update, I have been building a little since my last post. I decided to use the cover plate for the bomb recession, since this is the P version and I think none (of few) of them flew without it. Not my best decision, it seemed easier than it turned out to be. Lots of sanding and filler was necessary.

51526999296_058d776eb0_c.jpg

Fit is far from perfect, but on the other hand, there are not so many parts. So assembling the main parts went rather quick:

51527709399_6fd31b2383_c.jpg 

The air intakes were a challenge, they were sanded almost as much as it was possible. But the worst part was the tail:

51526186562_584aab0f44_c.jpg

After several sessions of sanding, puttying, re-scribing the re-scribed panel lines and all this on repeat, I was satisfied with the result. Although this picture looks almost the same as the one above. But be sure, there are hours of work between them! 

51527232468_bf15ab01fe_c.jpg

The refueling probe boom was replaced to one by Master. I also added some details on the nose.

51527914340_7aa82f7e62_c.jpg

The kit wheel wells are completely empty. Which is a pity, since the original ones is not, far from! Anyone who have lifted the bonnet on an old Citroën DS know the feeling. So I added more details, a free interpretation that is based on the real thing. The main wheel wells also got some details, but not as much.

51527232423_4af83af625_c.jpg

And here we are now. Time for primer. And some more sanding, I guess...

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 8

Thanks! :) After a layer of Tamiya primer, to my own surprise (and happiness), I discovered that the work on the surface was almost done. I had expected to discover several areas where more sanding and filler was necessary, but no. Just a little additional work on the air intakes remained. (I still wonder how this was possible. Must be some kind of magic...) So this one will enter the paintbox much sooner than I expected. 

51537920058_796b1855a6_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Painting time! First pre-shading, both for effect, and to practice my airbrushing skills.

51575721696_644358600c_c.jpg

Next step was the camouflage. I used Mr Paint and decided to go for the British Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green. Maybe not perfect, but close enough for me.

51576644385_e7911f2a1e_c.jpg

• Like 8

I have a bad habit doing too much research during the build than before I start. So after painting, I discovered the small probes/lights (or whatever it is) on the wingtips. They are not present ont the IVA, and Heller seems to not have bothered adding them on the P boxing. So I had to scratch-build them after painting:

51606020581_a86747d2fc_c.jpg

The Model Art decals was one of those nightmares. Thin decals that did not stick if you leave them in water for more than five seconds! But after all, still better than those in the box. The worst part was the roundels. The white part was a little yellowish and some of the colour did not leave the sheet, making them look spotted. I tried to find new french roundels in my decal spares box, and even in kits in my stash, but could not find any in the right size and/or without yellow outline.

But just before I gave up, I suddenly found an old 1/72 Hasegawa F-104 Starfighter sheet with Italian roundels, also with a separate decal for the centre spot. And to my amazement, these were not almost, but just perfect! I cannot recall having that much luck looking for decals in my spares box ever!!!

51605112002_23cd17e86c_c.jpg

So after much struggle, here is the result:

51606598009_267c833029_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

Slowly getting there... After wash and some further weathering:

51630820138_8b8f63c970_c.jpg

A close-up:

51629779782_6fc1c2e7ca_c.jpg

These Mirages seems to have been rather well-maintained. However, I found pictures of pretty well-weathered tanks. At least something for us who like weathering... :) I used hairspray and Gunze colours on this one. Luckily, Gunze Dark Sea Grey was almost identical to Mr Paint DSG (they look much more the same than on these pictures).

51630597276_8acb35b91a_c.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks! :) Finish is just around the corner now! I added some details to the landing gears:

51638053684_10b854879c_c.jpg

The Neomega seats were not easy to paint. Full of details (good!) bit hard to see what is what before painting (bad...). However, I am pretty satisfied with the result. Handles are still missing, I know I will break them immediately if i add them before final assembly...

51637408186_aa8a6ed3aa_c.jpg

• Like 6