Mr. Color red brown

opus999

Does anybody know if Mr. Color's red brown (131) is close to the Tamiya red brown? If not is there a recommendation for a Mr. color or MRP color that's close to it?  As you might imagine color swatches found on the internet range from chocolate brown to a purple-y brown and I don't want to buy paint I'm not going to use if I can help it.

If you are still looking, the Mr Color red-brown and propeller colors are quite similar, as is Tamiya’s XF-90 red-brown(2), Tamiya XF-9 hull red is a little more red. They are all more brown than red as my old eyes look at them. I can paint samples of each and post a comparison photo if you are still interested.

8 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

If you are still looking, the Mr Color red-brown and propeller colors are quite similar, as is Tamiya’s XF-90 red-brown(2), Tamiya XF-9 hull red is a little more red. They are all more brown than red as my old eyes look at them. I can paint samples of each and post a comparison photo if you are still interested.

I have the propeller color and it seems quite brown to me with only a hint of red.  If it's not too much trouble to paint samples, I'd like to see them. :) 

I’ve painted Tamiya XF-9 (Hull Red) and XF-90 (Red Brown 2) as well as Mr Color 131 (propeller color). XF-9 and C131 are very similar, XF-90 looks to be a slight bit less red and more brown but still very close. I still have Mr Color 41 (Red Brown) to do but it is also very close to the others. They are all dark.

Are you searching for a darker or lighter shade of red-brown, closer to WWII roundel red? MRP has a couple of reds in their RAF range and also a maroon-ish red-brown as an Italian camouflage color.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:22 PM, Chuck1945 said:

I’ve painted Tamiya XF-9 (Hull Red) and XF-90 (Red Brown 2) as well as Mr Color 131 (propeller color). XF-9 and C131 are very similar, XF-90 looks to be a slight bit less red and more brown but still very close. I still have Mr Color 41 (Red Brown) to do but it is also very close to the others. They are all dark.

Are you searching for a darker or lighter shade of red-brown, closer to WWII roundel red? MRP has a couple of reds in their RAF range and also a maroon-ish red-brown as an Italian camouflage color.

I'm planning to do the aircraft seen here: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2012/08/alexei-kryukovs-hasegawa-148-85th.html.  When I click on the pictures for a close up the red-brown has a definite red tint to it. At least to my eyes.  In part 2 of the article (http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2012/08/aleksei-kryukovs-hasegawa-148-85th.html), he says "brown blotches were mixed from Tamiya acrylics XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan, 64 Red Brown, and 68 NATO Brown". I suppose I could try mixing my own, but he doesn't give a recipe, and really it looks like the old Testor's "Rust" color (and mine dried up a couple years ago).  

As I mentioned in the PM, I have Tamiya XF-90 red brown2, I don’t have XF-62. On line it (62) appears more red than 90. I dilly-dallied yesterday and didn’t get a good picture with natural light so will try again this morning and email the results

12 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

As I mentioned in the PM, I have Tamiya XF-90 red brown2, I don’t have XF-62. On line it (62) appears more red than 90. I dilly-dallied yesterday and didn’t get a good picture with natural light so will try again this morning and email the results

Hey, thanks for the picture!