Protecting Neutrality GB

2996 Victor

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this has been done before but is there any mileage in a GB devoted to neutral nations? For instance, Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, United States pre-Dec 7th 1941.

Without thinking outside my own preferred box, which is World War 2 aviation, I'm thinking in terms of aircraft of nations such as those mentioned tasked with defending their own airspace against incursions no matter whose, but this would equally apply to territorial waters and presumably land forces.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Cheers,

Mark

27 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:Is Finland between March 1940 and June 1941 eligible too, in that case count me in as #2 please. V-P

Hi V-P,

interesting question: as far as I understand it, Finland was a neutral country between 1935 and 1939 up until the Soviet invasion and the Winter War. However, as the Interim Peace period progressed there was active pursuance of military assistance from foreign powers, leading ultimately to the arrival of German troops in the build-up to Operation Barbarossa.

I'd say that only the Winter War period is eligible, up to the signing of the Moscow Peace Treaty on 12th March 1940.

Would you still like me to put you down at #2?

Cheers,

Mark

32 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Well I have several kits in the stash that I intend to do in Irish Aer Corp colours ( as I am in fact Irish) a Gladiator, a DH9 and a Lysander at a minimum. So count me in.

All great subjects, @Marklo, I've got plans for IAC Gladiator and Hurricane as well.

Cheers,

Mark

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a need to build an interned P-51 in Swiss colors but Im sure there are other options ?

Hi Dennis,

Sounds like a good option! There were others interned in Sweden - not quite as colourful as Swiss markings, though!

Shall I count you in?

Cheers,

Mark

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dennis,

Sounds like a good option! There were others interned in Sweden - not quite as colourful as Swiss markings, though!

Shall I count you in?

Cheers,

Mark

Yes … was just thinking was Turkey Neutral ? If so a Spitfire might be a possibility ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes … was just thinking was Turkey Neutral ? If so a Spitfire might be a possibility ? 

Hi Dennis,

Consider it done! If you're thinking WW2, Turkey was indeed neutral, and over a period of time received 280 Spitfires,so yes.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You could always do a 109

0f1ba5f9-4229-4298-b26c-83b7930b4d30.jpe

The Irish Aer Corp flew quite a range of aircraft mostly British including Soitfires and Hurricanes.

Yes a later model might be in the works ? Ive done a 109D in Swiss markings. 

41 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dennis,

Consider it done! If you're thinking WW2, Turkey was indeed neutral, and over a period of time received 280 Spitfires,so yes.

Cheers,

Mark

That also gives me possibilities, Ive seen on B&W photo that is quite interesting. A supposed Mk.V but has the Mk.VIII/IX Broad chord rudder, and a four blade prop. Supposedly it is also in Desert colors but with patches of Dk.Green added. So might make for quite an interesting build if accurate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Interesting subject

Please add me in for this

Various choices; Eire, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden. Switzerland and others have all got subjects I'd like to build

Welcome along! Lots of great subjects, as you say :)

Cheers,

Mark

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That also gives me possibilities, Ive seen on B&W photo that is quite interesting. A supposed Mk.V but has the Mk.VIII/IX Broad chord rudder, and a four blade prop. Supposedly it is also in Desert colors but with patches of Dk.Green added. So might make for quite an interesting build if accurate. 

Hi Dennis,

there's a thread here that may give a clue, which hints that the high altitude Mk.Vs modified by 103MU may have been converted to PRU use and later found their way to Turkey. It doesn't really reach any conclusions but may be interesting. Those aircraft were fitted with 4-blade airscrews.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

I’m not a nautical modeller but on seeing the title of this proposed GB my mind went straight to some recalled snippets that might be suitable. Didn’t Royal Navy ships and those of other nations (French maybe?) engage in neutrality patrols to prevent arms running during the Spanish Civil War. 

And I just found this article

https://heritagemachines.com/shipping/the-royal-navy-and-the-spanish-civil-war/

I think that some destroyers had special markings painted on them to identify whose they were and the tasks engaged in. 

Might encourage some shipmate modellers on here to participate?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I’m not a nautical modeller but on seeing the title of this proposed GB my mind went straight to some recalled snippets that might be suitable. Didn’t Royal Navy ships and those of other nations (French maybe?) engage in neutrality patrols to prevent arms running during the Spanish Civil War. 

And I just found this article

https://heritagemachines.com/shipping/the-royal-navy-and-the-spanish-civil-war/

I think that some destroyers had special markings painted on them to identify whose they were and the tasks engaged in. 

Might encourage some shipmate modellers on here to participate?

Hi John,

many thanks for the link, I've just read it and it's enormously interesting - I had no idea of the Royal Navy's involvement in the Neutrality Patrol. I think it would be fair to say that naval vessels involved in this way are definitely eligible.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Would you still like me to put you down at #2?

Cheers,

Mark

That'll be slot #5 five now, but please add me to the list. Most likely with something that got interned in Sweden in 1944. V-P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vppelt68 said:

That'll be slot #5 five now, but please add me to the list. Most likely with something that got interned in Sweden in 1944. V-P

Consider it done! Glad to have you along :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Couple of potential ones

Easy

Airfix prewar Douglas TBD Devastator 

Difficult 

Contrail prewar Douglas 0-35 / B7

Either way I'm going to need more yellow paint !

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat!

Welcome along :) either of those sound good to me, although I had to Google the O-35/B7 :)

I had the Airfix Devastator as a youngster, quite fancy doing another one!

Cheers,

Mark

11 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Add me to the list please. 
I have Stranksy’s 1/48 Bücker Bü-181 Bestmann with Swiss markings in the stash. Need an excuse to build it.

jb

Welcome aboard, jb: that sounds like a very interesting subject! I'm hoping we can get this into the Bunfight as there are a lot of great options, and I think Swiss markings might be a popular choice, too!

Cheers,

Mark

23 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Sure. I recently built float planes used for meutrality patrols during the Great War, I’m sure I find some more.

Excellent! Did you post any photos of you WW1 float planes?

Cheers,

Mark