VAT & ordering from Poland

sinnerboy

Hi all, can I pick your brains re VAT please.

Now that GB has left the EEC I presume that if goods are ordered from within the EE, Poland in this case, that we are now liable to pay VAT & of course the dreaded Parcelforce handling charge, is this correct?

As I understand it VAT is not liable for goods under £135 unless a gift, so if I were to order 1 of the to be produced to order Silver Wings kits (£95 + P&P ) then no VAT would be payable, but if I were to order 3 or 4 then it will be.

Can any one confirm this?

If it is the case I wonder if Simon will take a request for 4 kits & accept payment and send seperatly.

TIA

Rick

No that's not correct.

Under £135 VAT is due and is charged along with the delivery firm charge - or it can be paid by a registered retailer (including eBay orders) avoiding delivery firm fees.

Over £135, VAT and duty are chargeable so it has to go to a customs warehouse.

• Thanks 1

It depends on whether the seller levies VAT at their end and charges you for it (and marks the package as such); whether the seller doesn't levy VAT (and marks the package as such so that you have to pay it when the package arrives) or; whether the seller does neither of those things and makes no declaration (or a spurious declaration).

There is no consistency on how traders are operating so it's very much caveat emptor where purchasing from outside the UK is concerned.

• Thanks 1

Most registered traders will definitely advertise as such - many smaller ones are not as it requires a lot of paperwork and special coding on the website to charge the extra fees.

Officially packages under £135 were not supposed to arrive into the UK without prepaid VAT but fortunately that seems to be being ignored at present - however some retailers are not selling to the UK, presumably to avoid risk of packages being rejected and returned.

• Thanks 1

Arma being one. They refuse to send any order below 135 pounds. (Sorry the pound sign is missing from my keyboard. Brexit? )

As @John Tapsell says 'There is no consistency on how traders are operating so it's very much caveat emptor where purchasing from outside the UK is concerned.' 

It works the other way too. Ordering from Britain to the EU is sometimes problematic. Some just refuse. 

It's all a bit tiresome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1