Farman F.190 in C.I.D.N.A. livery, 1932

Mjoo

Farman F.190 was fairly successful interwar utility/transport/passenger aircraft. First flown in 1928, it evolved to several subtypes; altogether 158 were built. Crezan.ne has quite a bit of material of the type. The site has several ”biographies” of individual planes.

I have SBS Model’s ’Air France’ boxing of F.190. It depicts F-AIJZ, which had longish career. Built in 1929, it was finally written off or lost sometime in 1942. First an airliner it flew mail and passengers in central Europe for C.I.D.N.A. airline. Later it was used as a trainer for Air France pilots. I’ll be doing F-AIJZ in orange-and-silver C.I.D.N.A. livery when it was rented by Paris-Soir to cover the 1932 Tour de France.

This could’ve gone to French Fancy GB as well, but I think I will need the extra weeks this GB has before the deadline.

Cheers,

-M

Edited by Mjoo
  • Like 1

Sturdy box. stylish art.

y4mr9bKABogdBYSRwW6KliiVWn4RxA7WHwIp-YYU

Resin parts have taken a bath. I am pretty sure there was painting masks in the box when I opened it. Now they are nowhere to be found 🤔. Carper monster is getting bold and now snatching things from the table, too. Luckily I have Arctic Decals’ Farman paint masks and window frames (not in the picture). Some of the supports are white metal.

y4m2O5zc8xnztwRoSwfwR7s5nAFF_dykJvVP5EGR

Considering the plane has next to none stenciling, the decal sheets are quite large. The letters in registration code are huge.

y4mfkdzS0DjCaFeXaYL5XZjVGWdIz00rOqnEWj4J

I’ve also started cleaning up the major parts to see how the main airframe builds up. It seems to me that this is just as well thought out kit as other SBS Model kits I’ve had. There is work to do separating the pieces from casting blocks and support structures — it is a resin kit afterall — but the manufacturer has done what can be to make things easier. I am turning into a fan of them, I think. Subject matter (the civilian options) are just straight up my alley and so far I have not once been dissappointed with the  quality.

y4mL2qlTE2nrcpfxb9UEJnngMIp1vUBRkq_iscc6

Cheers,

-M

• Like 11

Welcome to the Group Build @Mjoo, with what sounds to be a very attractive choice!

As you may know, Arctic Decals do a set of chrome cabin window frames for this kit.  I'm not sure if they would be relevant to your scheme?

Cheers

@Toryu, unfortunately I’ll be doing it in orange-and-silver C.I.D.N.A. livery. But I find it quite attractive, too.

Box art has it in Air France blue with Vichy stripes. Very attractive, but I don’t think I could pull it off. Besides, I’ve been painting several blue Caudrons lately, so I think I’ll need to do something else this time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2021 at 19:04, Mjoo said:

@Toryu, unfortunately I’ll be doing it in orange-and-silver C.I.D.N.A. livery. But I find it quite attractive, too.

Box art has it in Air France blue with Vichy stripes. Very attractive, but I don’t think I could pull it off. Besides, I’ve been painting several blue Caudrons lately, so I think I’ll need to do something else this time.

Vichy stripes are best done with red decals over a yellow base.

Orange and silver eh, it's going to be a real cracker !

Bon chance mon ami

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Progress has been very slow but finally I have enough to warrant an update: interior is done and fusalage is assembled. I decided to pose the cabin door closed, so very little (if anything at all) will be visible when finished. So I wasn't too fuzzy about the quality of the interior.

Here's what goes on the cockpit. I couldn't find anything on the colors, so I went with the choices I had seen others doing with their Farmans, namely light-to-mid grey. Picked up the details with black and did a black wash on everything. Seatbelts were painted after the photo was taken. IP came out real well. It is three layer thingie, resin backplate, dials printed on acetate and PE relief. The acetate gave the dials a nice glassy finish without any effort from my side. Shame it's going to be completely hidden. 

spacer.png

And here's the whole interior before closing the fuselage.

y4mhYx0_S-qVUxyqDHGHRi2i3DrkLmgd5UoJPnwE

Fuselage after closing up. Wing will form the ceiling for the cabin.

y4m_xJ7Vll_N_or1cY4kJcF1GpELK2kA8dDRJ0l_

And the cabin. Bulkhead are bit off but that's fine. I've only glued them to the floor to give me some room to wiggle later on when the wings are to be attached.

y4mPQ3jAIBQVcJLAFMC5461gruJiE1qxxvGgUH0p

Next step is tidying up the seams. Or I might start working on the engine.

• Like 5

Hi @CliffB, clear bits are ok. Not clear as glass but good. They look awful on the pics, but that’s because of the smoke coloured vinyl painting masks & the clear primer I used to seal the masks against colour bleed. And I did roughen the parts that are going to be painted with fine grit sandpaper, hoping that the paint will hold a bit better. The area just over the wind screen is murky because of that.

I did dip the clear parts on clear acrylic dipping compound. Probably shouldn’t have done that, it didn’t stick that well. I hope it doesn’t turn out be a problem once I peel the masks off at the end of the build.

Cheers,

Mjoo

Edited by Mjoo
Grammar and spelling. As always.
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, this is starting to look like an aeroplane! I didn't realise how much wing Farman has until I had glued it in place. The wing is just huge compared to the rest of the aircraft. And I think that 2/3 of the weight of the model is in the wings.

Putty in the forward seam looks suspicious, but I did check the seams with paint and it all sanded off. Hope there's no nasty suprises once I get to priming...

y4mlj12rCKL6F2pJXzVKanXEakzumnah_JfFBdV9

y4mGEyYIV8ZxIkcVW0RxSV8TzlUPjd3SrZbCTYAJ

The wing is supposed to be at straight angle without any dihedral or anhedral. Looks to me though that it droops a bit. Not much I can do to that so I'll better be happy with it as it is 😉.

y4m0UX6G-4KQAa0NNhL8wgux2KvEEvvwwLQMAxj2

Cheers,

-M

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Mjoo said:

I didn't realise how much wing Farman has until I had glued it in place.

The wing certainly gives the plane a distinctive appearance.  I'm looking forward to seeing some paint on it :popcorn:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mjoo said:

One day to go and there’s been no progress since my last update 🥺. This just won’t make it to the gallery. I do intend to finish this so see you in KUTA.

Best,

- M

That's no problem M. Thanks for taking part and I look forward to seeing more in KUTA :popcorn:

Cheers

• Thanks 1