Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-86, Zvezda 1:144

neilg

This was a kit that I've had for a while, and decided to crack on with it last week.

It's quite a simple kit, but has great detail.

I was in the last stages of the build today - I left the decals drying overnight, and applied a gloss coat this afternoon.

I used my regular gloss coat - Humbrol gloss varnish - applied with a brush, as usual.

When I came back to the model, I found the blue ink on the decals has reacted with the varnish, and it's bled all over the model.

By the time I noticed, the varnish had dried, so now, it's stuck like this.

I've never had this happen before, but I was actually really pleased with this kit, and was looking forward to having it on display.

Needless to say, I'm not going to take any more photos - but I'd be interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else:

IMG_5103

• Like 10
  • Sad 14

No, it has not happened to me.

But I am really sorry. Otherwise it is a great model. Please do not give up, remove decals and paint where necessary and do it again.

I've used Humbrols clear varnish to gloss a model before applying decals, but not over decals. I have to wonder if Humbrol calling it "varnish" is an indication it's not your typical model paint enamel.

• Like 1

Sad to see that,as its actually such a nice build.

Thats also the first time for me to see this.

The older Zvezda releases have not really good quality decals but I never heard of such thing before.

I hope you can sort it out.

I will check my stash and see if there is a replacement decalsheet I can offer you.

I have 3 of those kits and I guess there should be a spare sheet around.I let you know and if interested PM me.

Alex

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I've used Humbrols clear varnish to gloss a model before applying decals, but not over decals. I have to wonder if Humbrol calling it "varnish" is an indication it's not your typical model paint enamel.

I've used Humbrol clear gloss for years as a base for decals, and as a protective coat over the top of them - and I've never had any issues.

Indeed, it's a recommendation on their tutorial (see 2m:35s):

But, I've never used Zvezda decals before - and clearly the ink doesn't like the solvent in this varnish.

It surprised me because I've used third party decals that have been silk-screened and laser-printed, and never had this happen before.

It's just the blue that this has happened to - the red on the flag is fine, and the black nose decal is fine.

Hmm, that's even stranger as that's an acrylic varnish - so it should be even gentler on decals than an enamel or laquer.... Maybe the decals clear film hadn't covered the whole sheet properly?

Real shame about the reaction as otherwise that's a great looking model!

Keith

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hmm, that's even stranger as that's an acrylic varnish

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken but I thought Humbrol paints and clear glosses were all enamels.

4 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken but I thought Humbrol paints and clear glosses were all enamels.

In the Humbrol video, he states: "clear is a very thin acrylic gloss varnish"

I'm sorry to see that this happened to you, the IL-86 looks great otherwise, I was thinking you might be able to salvage it by taking advantage of the situation and heavily weathering it as if it was rusting away somewhere with moss and algae etc the runny colours would work with this I think.

Either way I've not experienced this happening before, I do use an airbrush myself and have used Clear before without anything like this happening, I can only imagine that the early zvezda decals are poor quality and the varnish has melted the ink in them.

Rich

Sorry,it took a while for my reply regarding the replacement decal.Work interfered with my modelling time.. 😉

I have found the decals,one sheet has yellowed but the other one looks good

Interestingly,the sets differ from each other even though the article number is the same.

Here is a picture spacer.png

If you are interested,just PM me and I have them shipped to you.

Alex

Edited by Alex1978

On 12/09/2021 at 17:14, Alex1978 said:

Sorry,it took a while for my reply regarding the replacement decal.Work interfered with my modelling time.. 😉

I have found the decals,one sheet has yellowed but the other one looks good

Interestingly,the sets differ from each other even though the article number is the same.

Here is a picture spacer.png

If you are interested,just PM me and I have them shipped to you.

Alex

That's kind of you, thanks for the offer.

I'm not sure I can save it:

IMG_5166

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That's a shame, but it's a heads up for me as I have one in the stash. I will put a note in the box as a reminder.

My decals had yellowed, so I left them in the window for weeks to de-yellow them - I wonder if that anything to do with it?

10 hours ago, neilg said:

That's kind of you, thanks for the offer.

I'm not sure I can save it:

IMG_5166

Hmmm...maybe if you use a decal solvent to remove the damaged ones. Microscale's stuff works wonders sometimes.The blue one.

If you use a new sharp blade and carefully slightly cut along the damaged decals,so the solvent can get under the decal through the varnish.

If succsessful,use Tamya compounds ("soft" and at the end "finish") to polish out the bleeded color from the decal.

It should remove only that and not the paint,or if,very little.

It sounds like a lot of work but it might save your model ?