Modelsvit 1/48 Mirage IVA/P new tool

Stephen

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

The level of detail Modelsvit is incorporating into their kits is simply amazing, perhaps the best on the planet right now. Just my opinion, but the kits I have are on another level of quality. I think Eduard and Modelsvit are the leaders of the pack right now.

From what I've seen, I'd agree. Maybe ten or more years ago, "short-run" was a term associated with poor fit and few parts. Nowadays the cottage industries have turned it round to such an extent that manufacturers like Modelsvit, Clear Prop! and JETMADS are world leaders. They also have a habit of covering some great subjects.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

From what I've seen, I'd agree. Maybe ten or more years ago, "short-run" was a term associated with poor fit and few parts. Nowadays the cottage industries have turned it round to such an extent that manufacturers like Modelsvit, Clear Prop! and JETMADS are world leaders. They also have a habit of covering some great subjects.

I wish they would cover the Yak-141 Freestyle!  In 1/48th scale of

course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dudikoff said:

TBF, I pulled him into it as I'm also clamoring about Yak-41 in 1/48 whenever I get the chance.

Since Modelsvit does short run kits (so presumably it costs less to tool it) and they're keen on making prototypes, they might be the company to pull it off (except perhaps HB). Plus, Yak-41 would have entered service were it not for the breakup of USSR as it was a much more capable VTOL aircraft than the Yak-38 it would be replacing.

1 hour ago, B.sin said:

WORD!

Since I started this topic I'm going to point out that this was about the forthcoming 1/48 Mirage IVA/P from Modelsvit. If you'd like to to wish for a Yak-141 perhaps you could start another thread please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back to the Mirage:

It operated at times very big jamming pods *CT-51 or -52, not sure now.

Any body knows more about these operations? Maybe over Lybia?

I thank French Jaguars could also use them....

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Back to the Mirage:

It operated at times very big jamming pods *CT-51 or -52, not sure now.

Any body knows more about these operations? Maybe over Lybia?

I thank French Jaguars could also use them....

Over Chad you mean in the 70s? There is some info on its recon missions here:

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/the-development-and-history-of-the-mirage-iva/

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Ps. Meaning no offence whatsoever, I really don't care how seldom it was seen carrying 16 x 450kg whizz bangs!

I didn't know the Mirage IVA carried conventional weapons, so I got an education this morning.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:05 AM, SAT69 said:

This and at least one other source indicates it could carry up to 16 1,000 lb. conventional bombs. http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/mirage4/

This source reads a bit strange to me... not sure though!

A dedicated Mirage IV R ? I assumed all P models could operate the large CT-52 camera pod. 

I assumed that the P was the last operational variant in the strategic recce role being used with large UN markings over Iraq in 2003 to possibly avoid the invasion (France did not take part in it!!) And over Afghanistan as well of course.

In the Nuclear Strike role the P was replaced by the ASMP carrying Mirage 2000N 

47 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

RR Spey engined Mirage IV(K)

Definitely an interesting concept, although a but far fetched... but teaming up with Australia maybe... but wait, there was an Avon powered MIII already.... ;)

Looking forward to your conversion!

Don't forget the Skyraider Model Design 1/48th JATO Rocket pack for Mirage IV

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/jato-rocket-pack-for-mirage-iv-skyraider-model-design-smds48028-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=81471

81471-0.jpg

https://www.avionslegendaires.net/dossier/kesako/jato-rato/

unnamed.jpg

192601-332374586857780-2051813079-o.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

On 10/09/2021 at 06:39, exdraken said:

I assumed that the P was the last operational variant in the strategic recce role being used with large UN markings over Iraq in 2003 to possibly avoid the invasion (France did not the part in it!!)

They were used in 2003 as the Americans were not allowed to use their TR-1s (U-2s) over Iraq at the time. This was a way of getting around this ruling allowing the Americans still to get up to date information.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jabba said:

They were used in 2003 as the Americans were not allowed to use their TR-1s (U-2s) over Iraq at the time. This was a way of getting around this ruling allowing the Americans still to get up to date information.

Yeah, not ery surprisingly the Americans were denied access to Iraqi airspace... after all they openly prepared for an invasion on especially in the aftermath very dubious grounds... (weapons of mass destruction...that could not be found nowhere)

I was quite pleased with this but saw no reference to this on their site, and their site is in such a state they look about ready to foreclose.

Well we are in the domain of the Rumourmonger so fair enough, but if Modelsvit themselves do not even seem aware of what they are planning I'm curious if this is going to happen.

Hoping lots though.

Marc.

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

I was quite pleased with this but saw no reference to this on their site, and their site is in such a state they look about ready to foreclose.

Well we are in the domain of the Rumourmonger so fair enough, but if Modelsvit themselves do not even seem aware of what they are planning I'm curious if this is going to happen.

Hoping lots though.

Marc.

They have announced it on their Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/modelsvit/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarcV said:

Hoping lots though.

Marc.

Sadly they are not alone in leaving OOD webpages and sites up. I've lost count of those I've tried to contact to no avail. At least the frustration is easier to bear in the electronic age.

Perhaps model companies are focusing more on their Facebook pages than they are on their actual web pages? Facebook is where they can get a true feel for what their customers think. And Facebook is where the companies are more accessible. Just a thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Perhaps model companies are focusing more on their Facebook pages than they are on their actual web pages? Facebook is where they can get a true feel for what their customers think. And Facebook is where the companies are more accessible. Just a thought.

And where it is a pre-condition that all data is processed with no real clarity of why they are doing it and why. Mark Zuckerberg scares me. 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Marc.