Voyager 1- 44 Years since launch

Troffa

On the 44th Anniversary of the launch of Voyager 1 from Cape Canaveral, I am dusting off my Hasegawa boxing and thinking about commencing a build of this amazing craft, the most distant human artefact in the universe. Is there anywhere I should be looking for detailed details of the probe, most specifically the configuration of the thermal blankets?  I have looked at the NASA sites and haven't found much in the way of detailed close up shots that represent the as flown configuration. 

Thanks for looking.

Troffa, from a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. 

• Like 6

There used to be a press kit for each major NASA mission: they were called "News References". I took a cursory look on the JPL website but I didn't see one there for Voyager.

I guess it's not surprising as it would date from 1977. The News References - usually 100+ pages - were excellent for detailed descriptions/diagrams of parts, subsystems, etc but in those days they were paper documents, of course.

It might be worth continuing an internet search in case someone went to the trouble to scan one in.

By the way, you may not know, but Eduard produces an etch set (ED48761) for the Hasegawa kit.

HTH

Kevin

p.s. take a look at the Wikipedia page on the Voyager Program: there are lots of references quoted and some may have what you need.

Edited by KevinK
more info
  • Thanks 1

Thank very much for your replies, I will certainly check out those Wikipedia references, and who needs an excuse to to watch "Star Trek-The Motion Picture"? 🙂 Its been several decades since I last saw it, but I seem to recall it being a reasonable first attempt. Not quite as good as Wrath of Khan, and my Wife will enjoy neither, but we all have our "Kobiyashi Maru" 's to face. 🙂 

I have got the eduard etched set, but worry about how I'm supposed to secure and twist the boom. I reckon soldering might be my only hope, Obi Wan. 🙄

In the meantime, I found this excellent documentary on BBC, available for 9  months as of Sept 2021, there is another, longer PBS version available online in the US and at the time of writing there is a version on YouTube. Some great close up shots of the probe during build and test. You will need to register with the BBC and at least appear to be located in the UK, to view.  I have no Idea how one might achieve that set of circumstances. 

The Farthest: Voyagers Interstellar Journey

Live long and Prosper!

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, Whitewolf said:

Star Trek the motion picture has some unique close up views of a mock up near the end as Kirk and co realise that 'Vger' is in fact Voyager.....

I always wondered why, for all its intelligence, 'Vger' had to wait until someone rubbed off the dirt on its nameplate to know it was actually called Voyager. 😄

• Haha 3

• 7 months later...

Just a quick post to say thanks again to all who responded, and to confirm that I have just found a "Voyager 1986 Presskit" published by the NASA Historical Reference Collection on Amazon.  🙂 

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/04/2022 at 16:15, Troffa said:

Just a quick post to say thanks again to all who responded, and to confirm that I have just found a "Voyager 1986 Presskit" published by the NASA Historical Reference Collection on Amazon.  🙂 

Thanks!

I too have the hasegawa kit waiting in the stash.

Any chance you could scan this presskit and send it to me?  Will reimburse expenses.

Ta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 18:20, Troffa said:

I have looked at the NASA sites and haven't found much in the way of detailed close up shots 

Is anyone else enjoying the irony of not being able to get close-up shots of our most distant artefact? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, Tentacles said:

I’ve got the Haynes “manual” for Voyager, I could have a look in there, if you needed anything still?

Thanks ever so much for your kind offer Tentacles, but I have the Voyager manual myself- I think it's the best reference out there!

Live long and prosper! 

• Like 1