Airfix Westland Scout AH1, 'Less than a Tenner GB'...

It's a while since I entered a GB but this one grabbed my attention and with plenty of early Airfix kits in my stash I knew I would have a suitable candidate. Choppers are my preferred taste, being an ex FAA maintainer (grubber).

The Scout did sterling service in the jungles of Borneo, s my build has represented one of those, no particular unit .

The basic kit is poorly detailed and the engine is undersize! So the strengthening strakes on the fuselage/tailboom were removed and replaced with stretched sprue. The cockpit had a added/corrected detail added, as did the main rotor gearbox and rotorhead. The engine is C Scale as is the tailrotor. Decals are from the Xtradecals range.

The base is made from long sosatie sticks glued to a  card base, stained and painted with the H to represent a jungle landing pad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Colin 

• Like 46

That looks great Colin - I’m actually in the process of doing one of these myself (with Air Graphics engine and bulged doors) and will pinch some of your ideas for improvements as well. 

is that some stray masking tape on the port side or has the co-pilot drawn the blinds??!! 😁

Pat

Thanks everyone.

Colin

16 hours ago, Pat C said:

That looks great Colin - I’m actually in the process of doing one of these myself (with Air Graphics engine and bulged doors) and will pinch some of your ideas for improvements as well. 

is that some stray masking tape on the port side or has the co-pilot drawn the blinds??!! 😁

Pat

Hi Pat, thanks, no it's excess cement from gluing the roof glazing!!!

Colin

• Haha 1