Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - +++ FINISHED +++

TonyOD

19 hours ago, Fukuryu said:

Hope you find your sight, but just in case... https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72079

Alas, the sight is nowhere to be found, so a trip to Barlborough is on the cards.

Thanks for this heads up though. Little bits of aftermarket stuff like this amaze me... I mean, how can there be enough of a demand for something like this for it to be the basis of a viable business?! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Alas, the sight is nowhere to be found, so a trip to Barlborough is on the cards.

Thanks for this heads up though. Little bits of aftermarket stuff like this amaze me... I mean, how can there be enough of a demand for something like this for it to be the basis of a viable business?! 

Any time, Tony - I'm working from home most days - just let me know!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

And for just THREE dollars! In fact, the Type 98 gunsight was used in all IJNAF fighters and also dive bombers, so plenty of uses for the Quickboost set. I am quite sure it can be justified to have a couple of this in your stash... I know it is, in my case.

• Like 2

A bit of a “can’t sleep” shift later, she’s starting to look something like. I’m pretty good at justifying my lack of weathering on a given build, on my recent Potez it was a nice clean plane because Charles de Gaulle travelled in it and so it would’ve been kept tidy, on this one it’s a plane whose first and last combat engagement (AFAIK) was the Pearl Harbor attack so it must have been shiny and new, but the truth of it is that I’m rubbish at weathering and avoid it like the plague. I’ve just put a light enamel wash on it (50:50 Humbrol dark brown and dark grey diluted with lighter fluid), the panel lines are so fine that it was hard to make anything stick but the overall effect is quite subtle and probably fairly authentic (the next build I have in mind is an Airfix Bf 110 and the panel lines are like trenches by comparison). Again the nose is just being tried for size, as are the canopies which came up ok bar a tiny bit of interior framing bleed that I may be able to shift. I used a satin rattlecan finish, I gather these planes were quite highly polished but I don’t get along with gloss varnishes, at this scale I think it makes the end result look a bit like a kid’s toy. Anyway, fiddly bits next. Thanks for looking in!

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 13

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 19/10/21 just the fiddly bits to go…
15 hours ago, TonyOD said:

the panel lines are so fine that it was hard to make anything stick but the overall effect is quite subtle

And it works, just enough to add a bit of shadow and add a little depth.  A lot of weathering is now vastly overdone, or done with no reference to reality,  month old BoB planes looking like the have done 6 months in the tropics....  

A subtle panel line wash, and some appropriate stains, (and these did get cleaned off as well)  are all that's really needed,  and I'm with @AdrianMF, the hemp looks really good, from the Aviation of Japan links,  and other reading it look to have caught that subtle olive-grey. 

:goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@TonyOD,

Let's get this part out of the way- your A6M2 looks very nice- the color looks right, and as you said, it was a new airplane that most likely spent the journey to Pearl harbor below decks and was fastidiously  fussed with by the plane handlers and mechanics, so I wouldn't think any of the Zeros were scuffed, soiled, and weathered.

Like you, I hate weathering, almost as much as  using filler, which to  me the least enjoyable part of model building, but the more you study photos and builds, and the more you try,  you will get better and your models  more realistic.  Models that are one solid color, either light or dark, are the hardest to get  panels and control surfaces highlighted realistically.  I have been using a method I learned from one of my modeling mates and observed by some of the heavy  hitters here on BM, and that is using a drafting pencil to accentuate control surfaces and panel lines that are the most prominent. You need to purchase one of the sharpeners made for that type of pencil, as it produces a point sharp enough to be used in even the finest panel lines. If you make a mistake, a little gentle brushing with warm water will take it off. This method also can be used to create panel lines, and in 1/72 scale, is very convincing. The same method can also be used in cockpits, wheel bays, and flap wells along the stiffeners, which creates very realistic  shadows and wear. When you apply the clear topcoat of your choosing, the marks are sealed. You might try this  on some scrap painted kit parts- you will be surprised how easy and effective it is. Just another tool for your toolbox.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the pencil tip @72modeler, I've used standard 2H pencils before with Ok resulTs but I didn't know there was such a thing as a special sharpener! To be honesty I think I've gone as far down the weathering road as I'm going to, partly I suppose because I want to maintain a consistent standard of build through the cabinet 9when I get one) and partly becasue i justy don't have the patience for all that stuff, but the pencil thing could be handy.

Here are the aforementioned fiddly bits, of which there are quite a few. Note if you will the remains of the arrester hook, clumsily snapped in half with the business end MIA... @2996 Victor, I don't suppose...? 🙄

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

The A6M2 is really looking beautiful!  The decals really make the hemp color look terrific!  So, to weigh in with my 2 cents on weathering... I personally like to match the subject to historical photos, which means trying to match the weathering and wear.  Sometimes there's lots, sometimes there's practically none.  I like to think I'm getting better at it -- when I restarted the hobby, some of my weathering was a bit overdone at times, because I think I subconsciously wanted people to make sure I knew the techniques! :D But, OTOH, my Dad is a skilled and brilliant modeler, and all of his are show room floor clean.  That's his thing.  He loves my realistic builds, but on his shelf he likes 'em clean.  So I respect modelers who can do either.

On the pencil topic... I have an "Orenz" 0.2 mm mechanical pencil.  I use it to lightly draw panel lines.  It comes in handy if I fill in or sand away recessed panel lines -- I'm a complete disaster at re-scribing, but I've found if I draw the missing lines on, you really can't tell the difference (well.... maybe you could with some of Airfix's trenches).  On older models with raised panel lines, I just sand all the panel lines off and redraw them at the end.  It really has made me lose my fear of older kits! :) It's a good tool to have in the box.

Can't wait to see how this turns out... its looking brilliant already!

• Like 5

@opus999 my tentative brushes with weathering haven't turned out well, my first serious go was when I did this Spitfire for the Heller Classic GB:

spacer.png

I overcooked it that badly that I ended up stripping it...

spacer.png

...and redoing it as an RAF machine with just a bit of attention to the panel lines. I''m much happier with it now!

spacer.png

• Like 5

Definitely nothing wrong with the finished product!  I really like it.  Plus I like Mk. XVIs.  Weathering definitely takes practice... I have a 1:24 1943 Dodge chassis that has been painted, rusted, oiled, exhausted, dusted and everything else  you can imagine just trying to get the techniques down to where I wouldn't waste a model.  But if its not fun... it's not worth doing. 

Like I said, I love seeing them show-room floor clean and weathered and I love what you did there with the Spitfire. ;)

Plus... the Zeke is beautiful already!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve finally dragged this one across the line (with a little help from @2996 Victor), the delay simply being down to the fact that I was procrastinating putting on those tiiiiiiiny aileron actuators (I had two pairs to go at but inevitably the carpet monster got a pair). I’m fairly happy with the result and enjoyed the build. RFI pics when I get chance. Cheers.

spacer.png

• Like 11

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - +++ FINISHED +++

PS - even if you've never shown an interest in Group Builds in your modelling life, would you mind having a look at this and throwing a vote at In The Wrong Hands, I would be very grateful, ta!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...