Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - +++ FINISHED +++

TonyOD

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

+++

It's been fairly easy to establish that the OOB scheme I plan to build took part in the Pearl Harbor attack, indeed it met its end there, which I understand would have made it a Mitsubishi-manufactured machine, which helps me a bit.

+++

The fine ballance of doing some research and getting useable results in the middle and doing next to no research (being helpless victim to profiles and/or instructions) or doing excessive research (and SHOUTING ALL OVER THE INTERNET) at the extremes.

Edited by Jochen Barett
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, TonyOD said:

It's been fairly easy to establish that the OOB scheme I plan to build took part in the Pearl Harbor attack, indeed it met its end there, which I understand would have made it a Mitsubishi-manufactured machine, which helps me a bit.

Indeed it does, Tony - it confirms it as a Mitsu-built airframe, which tells you which bits of the airframe should finished in which paint. You then only (!) have to decide which colours you're going to use :D 

Incidentally, have you seen @Will Vale's build here? Also, and I'm afraid I can't find the thread, but someone here on BM used Tamiya TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan, which is a rattle can and sprays on beautifully evenly. It looked excellent with its black cowling and Hinomarus, so I tried it on my Tamiya Zero as an undercoat: to be honest it looks pretty convincing, although it should perhaps be a bit greener to be closer to actual colour (whatever that is ;)). Here's a smartphone snapshot of my stalled build:

http://IMG-20210917-103451845.jpg

It looks a bit darker against the green cutting mat than it is in reality. It might be worth considering?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Not a huge amount to report in the way of progress, I've only been finding time to do bits here, bits there. I've made a start on the interior and done the wheel wells in Hu168 Hemp in advance of a bit of enamel wash (if it'll do for Millman, it'll do for me), also masked and painted the canopies with the same using Eduard masks. The kit offers "open" and "closed" options, I figured if I'm going to make a go of the office I shouldn't hide it away, i plan to use the "closed" transparency as a mask when it comes to painting.

The aotake on the inside of the fuselage could apparently be anywhere between sort of metallic blue and sort of metallic green, with all shades of sort of metallic turquoise in between, as it'll be pretty much invisible on the end result I've just mixed silver acrylic with a little bit of Mig Ammo turquoise that I bought for the interior of a MiG-21 and never used.

spacer.png

On 9/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Incidentally, have you seen @Will Vale's build here?

I have now... blimey, that bar has been set high!

• Like 5

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 25/9/21 bits 'n' pieces

The main cockpit assembly is done and it’s… adequate. Not in the same league (barely in the same sport) as @Will Vale’s! I had two goes at the main i/p but couldn’t get anywhere near his level of finesse. Anyways, the decals for the dials and seatbelt don’t look bad. There’s still some work to do on the interior sidewalls. I feel the exterior of this build will need a lot less effort than the interior…

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 30/9/21 another day at the office
8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

The main cockpit assembly is done and it’s… adequate. Not in the same league (barely in the same sport) as @Will Vale’s! I had two goes at the main i/p but couldn’t get anywhere near his level of finesse. Anyways, the decals for the dials and seatbelt don’t look bad. There’s still some work to do on the interior sidewalls. I feel the exterior of this build will need a lot less effort than the interior…

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd say that's splendid work, Tony, the cockpit is excellent! You should be well pleased with it.

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

We have something resembling an aeroplane. I forgot to take pics of the interior side walls before closing it up. The fit is exquisite, just the barest smear of PPP here and there. I’ve already painted and washed the wheel wells, not sure why as they’re the same colour as the wings. Force of habit I guess! I’ll now have to mask them for painting the wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 4/10/21 closed up, wings on

Coming together nicely Tony B)  

I'm not sure if it would bother you, or even if it should :D but I believe that the coaming above the instrument panel onto which the gunsight mounts should be the same blue-black as the cowling and the rear decking - to reduce reflection on the windscreen, I imagine.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I believe that the coaming above the instrument panel onto which the gunsight mounts should be the same blue-black as the cowling and the rear decking - to reduce reflection on the windscreen, I imagine.

Thanks, that would make perfect sense. My bluey-black has just the very slightest hint of blue, it's roughly 4:1 black/dark blue. I'm going to have mix a little bit more up anyway as it occurred to me that the back of the prop blades as well as the landing gear legs were probably painted the same shade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks, that would make perfect sense. My bluey-black has just the very slightest hint of blue, it's roughly 4:1 black/dark blue. I'm going to have mix a little bit more up anyway as it occurred to me that the back of the prop blades as well as the landing gear legs were probably painted the same shade.

Not exactly. Gloss black for the undercarriage and matt black or dark brown for the back of the propeller.

Edited by Fukuryu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fukuryu said:

Not exactly. Gloss black for the undercarriage and mart black or dark brown for the back of

the propeller.

Interesting, thank you. Wondering about the prop colour. The instructions say black for the back of the props, but then the instructions also say aotake for the wheel wells, which for a Mitsubishi-built Pearl Harbor plane would be the same colour as the underwings (as enny fule no.) 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

Not much happening on the modelling front now as I've been away doing DofE stuff, managed to get some primer on though and it's looking OK. As mentioned previously I've used the "closed" canopy as a cockpit mask.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 12/10/21 prime time

Got a couple of coats of Hu168 "Hemp" on and hwoever it accurate it may or may not be it's rather an attractive colour. It's just trying the nose on for size at the moment.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 13/10/21 it's beige!
14 hours ago, opus999 said:

And your cockpit looks fantastic

Kind of you to say! To be honest this is one of those kits that's difficult to do badly... I remember doing a Fujimi Phantom years ago that was the same, you'd have to work pretty hard to mess it up. It's a lovely kit. (I thought the seatbelt decal might look a bit naff but actually it came up pretty well!)

• Like 3

Got the decals on. They’re nice, although nudging those walkway lines into position was infernally fiddly. I like the blue stripes.

Rather weirdly, the box art scheme can’t be done with the kit decals. I read somewhere that it was one of Mr Tamiya’s favourite paintings, and what Mr Tamiya wants, Mr Tamiya gets.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - 17/10/21 meatballs!

Oh, I like that! The insignia and markings look terrific against the hemp color.  I have to agree with you that those blue stripes are nice (which is why I chose the Ki-100 scheme that I did on my current build).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1