VF-84 Phantom build

Covjets13

Hi all, here’s a short update…the trials and tribulations…or nightmare of Hobby Decal rub-down transfers. They just didn’t want to go down, and if you rubbed too hard I went through the paint 🤯🤯🤯 Anyway here are some photos…

D4phMnb.jpg

NQWok2D.jpg

W6saE4b.jpg

Next step, all the panel numbers….

Thanks for stopping by, Cheers Si 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

Hobby Decal rub-down transfers

Interesting to see these.

Many (many!) years ago Letraset did rub down decals, and I thought that they were pretty good but suffered the same glitches as you are finding, needing very careful application, especially with larger ones.

Irrespective, they look excellent in the photos you've posted and your model looks awesome!

Morning all, hope this small update finds you all well. Sorry that I’ve not been on for a while, but work has been hectic, and still suffering post covid I’ve really not felt up to modelling. Anyway, enough of the excuses🤫… here goes.

kfYiWLu.jpg
Upper tips all finished and panel washed. I did redo the top “combs” so it would sit right on the wing.

bRDoE92.jpg
the underside.

s8TZrw8.jpg
playing with photo-etch, not my favourite medium to be honest.

csGghtK.jpg
and painted Mr Surfacer 1500.

rnZuXjU.jpg
Seat completed, looking back should have twisted the yellow and black tighter…I’ve left it as I think I’ll cause more damage redoing them, and I’m running out of time for the group build…it will be finished.

ZgM69dO.jpg
fin on, note the straightened paper clips to support the wing tips…hope my measurements are correct🤯

oL4Whmb.jpg

close up of the cockpit, the windscreen is place on for the pic…just couldn’t resist. Note the paint damage around the rub-down transfers, I’ll sort that when I put the centre glazing on, and I’ll resort to a conventional decals. 

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers Si 

• Like 10

So here’s a little update…

qpJFZiw.jpg
I’m just sorting the issues with the damaged rub-down transfers. The IFR probe door in place to use a decal (yay) for the warning triangle.

svIkkVM.jpg
Top down view showing the cockpit off.

Zy0ZMxh.jpg
Showing the continued weathering using pastels and oils.

qBxQQGM.jpg
Weathering on the underside. Not sure if I should go further…photos of the underside of late cruise Navy Tooms are quite scarce, strangely.

zVebcUJ.jpg

Undercarriage on, we’re starting to get towards the end of this adventure.

hOq4PlG.jpg
On her wheels, could resist fitting the inner pylons😉

fVrIXQM.jpg
Outer wings installed, an to my relief it all lined up perfectly 

6o84UaL.jpg

And the paper clip support can’t even be seen, result👍. I did plan it that way, honest. 

beAwyoS.jpg
Really happy so far. Do think I need to tidy my work area tho, it’s minging. 

Thanks for stopping by, and all your encouragement.

Cheers Si 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, here we are with a little update. With so much work and still struggling with tiredness I’ve been doing little bits, and I thought I’d do a mass upload sorry.

uwLTLiH.jpg

oZlMcfM.jpg

yhjR3iN.jpg
Close look at the undercarriage, need some more work on the tyres, which I’ll do at the end.

tNyLxRc.jpg
In flight refuelling probe installed

jjUkYLC.jpg

RAT and doors installed.

4ro9dbD.jpg

Centre tank and the pylons installed 

qWcEt7b.jpg
Crew access installed, seats and the intake blanks

Here are a couple of views

6s0JuAK.jpg

qVIUOgX.jpg
Top down view, happy with the look, to get a well used late cruise look, just the nail biting bit…

zSHkvdv.jpgThe freehand airbrush work to simulate the protection spray used on the carrier. The only issue is what colour, so after lots of internet trawling, I went with this look.

qPRlfi7.jpg
I also installed the RBF flags, which are clearly attached in my research on this cruise in the Med. 

I did the doors for the fuel and electric…

i1rPK35.jpg

Fuel…

1dj7VIw.jpg
Electric..

DKixUpc.jpgHappy with that 👍

So with the end in sight, time for the base and the figure, which I need to decide on.

Untill next time, thanks for stopping by, and all your kind words and encouragement.

Cheers Si 

• Like 9