VF-84 Phantom build

Covjets13

Hi all,

I wanted to start with an apology, having planned to start the build after our holiday which coincided with this group build, my plans unfortunately changed to contracting this awful Covid virus. So I actually started a couple of days early. However the after effects have hit me quite hard, but I am blessed to not be suffering like others on here. I have to thank ModellingMinion for his support, encouragement and friendship that has kept me going.

So, I have done quite a lot to this point, and plan was to build a little, photo what I’ve done (didn’t have the time to always do progression shots, as the exhaustion and ability to concentrate was limited, so I focused on the modelling bit)

So enough whinging….

Here is bits I hope to turn into a fair representation of my fave jet😉

4N28HU7.jpg

and some of my dog-eared references

lsUEHwR.jpg

Thanks all,

Si 

• Like 9

So here are some updates, to bring me slowly up today…

I decided to build in components to keep my limited focus, and stop the many silly mistakes, so I started with the tail

RKkjfd2.jpg

then I used my HobbyDecal rub-down decal sheet…. I thought it’d be easy….no not at all. I’m not sure if it’s because of the age of the transfers or my inability to gauge the correct pressure (which incidentally varied from sheet and colour) but this is it finally applied, with a matt coat.

oDjs9eV.jpg

Next I played with the pylons, tanks and undercarriage. I did use lead wire for the brake lines (sorry didn’t photo that progress)

Vn3JIOI.jpg

Don’t think you’ll see this, perhaps time to rethink how much to add🤯

b8ngNxs.jpg

Some more work in progress shots… tanks…

ico2fjX.jpg

Pylons…

5aAOhI7.jpg

Finished waiting for the stencils…

NUa2VtM.jpg

and applied…

vnu4c5a.jpg

again…a nightmare to apply, but I’m committed now. Also not sure of what configuration to put her in as photos of VF-84 J’s are hard to find, so any help would be welcome.

thanks guys

Si 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I think the imperfections in the decal enhance the realism. You are weathering everything else, so why not the paintwork?

The u/c etc looks fab

I’ll be post shading, oils and pastels to bring it all together…hopefully 

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, here are some more updates…

4TMJt9J.jpg
This is the front of the Black Box cockpit, it is lovely, I would have loved to have tried some of the 3D printed consoles, but they are not yet available…next time😉

U7p3RdT.jpg
and installed into the fuselage…most of the BDR panels have been removed…

nYOXv5D.jpg
so while is was attacking the fuz, I cut open the rat and started scratch building🤯

I then turned my attention to the undersize J79 burner cans…so I bought the Aires option, but it’s the same size, so I purchased the Reskit option. To my horror they were for the Revell kit, but they fit perfectly…Phew. 
X8ND1AH.jpg
however, the afterburner igniters weren’t in with the resin, so not sure what to do🤔🤔🤔

43Br8ZZ.jpg

that’s it for now, thanks for stopping buy, till next time

Si

• Like 6

On 05/09/2021 at 11:08, Covjets13 said:

Also not sure of what configuration to put her in as photos of VF-84 J’s are hard to find, so any help would be welcome.

The lack of photos for VF-84 F-4J Phantoms is because they did not operate them for long, The heavier J model landing on the smaller aircraft carriers off the coast of Vietnam had to land with a smaller fuel load to keep within the weight limits.  If there was a problem landing there was a risk of losing the aircraft so the Squadron reverted to the N model.  Nice work on your Tamiya kit.

• Like 1

Hi guys, firstly, thank you for your kind words, it’s very motivating when your juggling a tiring job and dealing with the after effects of this bloody Covid. I have to apologise, as the sequence is all over the place, with no real logic, but I’ve been doing each little bit within my attention span…so here goes.

qnG3eq0.jpg

Detailing the RAT, and addressing the poor fitting panel which covers the AirForce air to air panel. I used sone very thin plastic sheet and then sanded it flush.

xHb8jhJ.jpg
and the centre tank

WKZzax4.jpg
and the effect when it’s in place.

spJgveu.jpg
some extras in the nose gear bay.

Fuu6usG.jpg

and the A/C intakes about to be shortened.

85o1s2h.jpg

time to move the outer pylons, before I put the wings on.

viWa9z3.jpg
wings on, as well as some filler primer and re-riveting done👍
D028tTN.jpg
And

EGIIOYL.jpg

Red paint applied… then realised the air brake wells are white 🤯🤯🤯

WFtsV4W.jpg
and removed….shhhh, no one will notice🤫

7lpY2Vm.jpg
some 0.9mm washers glued to high temp areas, I hate superglue, it’s definitely a “dark side” product🤯

9LWF7Dq.jpg
I cut open the central fuelling and ground power access panels, and used very small magnets so I could attach the hoses and cables

78cLvpZ.jpg
fuel hose, using the magnets, plastic tube, and a leather shoe lace

2C4qEZu.jpg
and them in place…happy with that👍

Thanks so much for stopping by,

cheers Si 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Evening got some time in the man-cave today, and had a little fun with the airbrush.

I started with some more MrSurfacer 1500 grey, then 

A3HQW6D.jpg

then went berserk doing the panelines.

XEoc5GK.jpg

Then some mottling 

Ut4wIvz.jpg

with a selection of colours.

RGw4Mc6.jpg
underside.

AOSnMh1.jpg

Then painted white.

4rRAy59.jpg

then masked and painted grey….

And yes, I have just bought an Arfix Vulcan😉 as well as the Tamiya B, after seeing all the amazing builds, you just can’t have enough Phantoms.

Thanks for stopping by

Cheers Si

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, thank you so much for all your kind words and encouragement, it is very appreciated.

Here are a series of pics on the rear end, I know there are some superglue marks around some of the rivets…sadly my concentration levels aren’t quite back to where they used to be…but it is what it is👍

n2uKPF8.jpg

zEydiQe.jpg

JLWkdGF.jpg

63V9cQX.jpg

WIGP4rc.jpg

j2ZAEqH.jpg

u9XNzJp.jpg

dVYrnJM.jpg

That’s enough for one evening, I’ll blend this all with Tamiya transparent paints heavily thinned to bring it all together.

Thanks for stopping by

Cheers Si 

• Like 12