Last Storm over Finland - VL Myrsky II

reini

20210904_171056.jpg

Finland had some aircraft manufacturing during and after WW2. Myrsky was probably not the best of them, it was a product of war built out of necessity with very limited resources. As a plane, it was good to fly. But the compromises done in the materials and construction of the plane meant that it would not simply last very long and was prone to accidents. Name 'Myrsky' means Storm.

20210904_171157.jpg

I still need to source suitable decals for this kit. I want to build MY-28 after the war, which is not part of either of these decals.

20210904_171235.jpg

20210904_171249.jpg

Short run kit but doesn't look too bad.

20210904_171301.jpg

One mistake the kit has though is that the control surfaces were actually plywood and not fabric as represented on the kit.

20210904_171343.jpg

Some resin parts came with the kit.

7547y45yh5e.jpg

Like I mentioned above, Myrsky had a troublesome life. Good portion of the construction was wood/plywood and it was discovered that it would simply not hold together very well in the harsh and wet finnish climate. Materials started to bend and come loose, causing flutters which led to unrecoverable spins or planes simply coming apart mid-air. This was the final of such accidents, 9.5.1947 plane flown by capt. K.Ikonen in Nakkila, near Pori during a training flight. At 1500m, something came loose from the plane and the eye witnesses said that the plane came down almost vertically onto a field. The plane had simply vanished into the soft and muddy ground, only some small debris left behind. And despite best efforts to dig up the plane and pilot, it was unsuccesful due to the soft clay ground constantly filling up what had been dug up. The site was declared as the final resting place of capt. K.Ikonen and what must be the smallest graveyard in Finland  is located in the middle of a field in a small town called Nakkila, 20km south east of Pori.

After this accident, all Myrsky's were grounded and apart from single transfer flight. Myrsky did not fly again,

There is a project going on to build VL Myrsky II for museum. It's been going on for few years, construction is slow as many of the parts have to be made new as so little original parts exists. 

Here is a website of the project:

https://www.vlmyrsky.fi/

• Like 11

Cool-looking aircraft and stuff like this always interest me.. "Minor" nations making their own combat aircraft - and a nice neighbour too!

Played in in War Thunder recently.. And if that is anything correct, it is a bit of a pig but has great armament! ;)

• Haha 1

wow Reini, you do like a bit of a challenge with your builds!

A great subject with a sad ending, glad you're building it, will be a bit of a tribute.

Good luck with this build too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...