Airfix 1/72 FG.1 VX 590 'zapped' as Colonial Navy.

RevDWC

spacer.pngHi all.

I've joined this GB to build the FG.1 from 892 NAS that was zapped while on an exercise with the US Navy in 1978.

I have the Xtradecal XT72268 set, some Eduard canopy masks and cockpit etch set to help (complicate things).

Thanks, Justin.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dansk said:

What does zapped mean?

Think It's when a "rival" squadrons ground crew draw graffiti or other special designs on an aircraft,  for example if they are forced to land on a different carrier than their "home" carrier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

What does zapped mean?

It is the act of marking a rival service / aircraft with their own insignia / sticker / paint job.  Hence the paint job changing aircraft to Colonial Navy was zapping

8 hours ago, Dave_R said:

...and 892 sqn. got revenge.

oqkg8v1o4w121.jpg

I wonder what's painted under the taped on brown paper on the intakes and fuselage. 

Found this on another website. 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1239030/

Apparently the U.S. and Malta were not on the best of terms. The plane was somewhere in Malta when she got zapped or visited shortly after. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Found this on another website. 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1239030/

Apparently the U.S. and Malta were not on the best of terms. The plane was somewhere in Malta when she got zapped or visited shortly after. 

Correct Malta was having problems with the US. Also in that year had to cover the phoenix on the buccaneers tail, in Greece, something to do with symbol of the Greek Junta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Correct Malta was having problems with the US. Also in that year had to cover the phoenix on the buccaneers tail, in Greece, something to do with symbol of the Greek Junta

I do hope those issues were resolved long ago, I hope to visit Malta someday. Would rather the locals are friendly. 

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I do hope those issues were resolved long ago, I hope to visit Malta someday. Would rather the locals are friendly. 

I am sure as a member of Britmoddeler they will be putting out the red carpet to welcome you with open arms.

The Maltese are a incredibly friendly peoples

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2021 at 12:03, Dave_R said:

On 09/11/2021 at 12:03, Dave_R said:

oqkg8v1o4w121.jpg

I wonder what's painted under the taped on brown paper on the intakes and fuselage. 

oqkg8v1o4w121.jpg

Actually it was the other way around Colonial Navy was revenge attack for 892 zapping the Forrestal Phantom 1973. The colonial zap was 1978 during the Ark Royal’s final year, deployment to the US

• Like 1