No. 437 Squadron RCAF Dakota - A continuation of the "Kwitcherbitchin" Story **Final Pics Posted**

mark.au

The last three months have been somewhat of a rollercoaster.  We've become grandparents; endured 11 weeks of hard lockdown; purchased a new home; moved from NSW to ACT while negotiating a kaleidoscope of permits and exemptions to travel lockdown rules; I've chosen this time as a good one to change jobs (and career direction, no less); and now made it through 14 days of hotel quarantine.  Whew!  

I planned to do some modelling in quarantine and accordingly brought a basic assembly tool kit.  I chose two kits to build, a Dragon 1/48 Ta 152H-1 and an Airfix 1/72 Dakota III which will be the subject of this WIP.  As it turned out, I didn't get as much modelling done as I thought and indeed only made some progress on the Ta 152.  Most of its major assemble is complete and I'll complete that later, after the Dakota.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those that followed along with my previous Dakota build to commemorate the "Flying Nightingales" will have read about my intention to build the same airframe's markings once it had been passed on to the RCAF.  To do this, I needed to create and get printed some customer decals and they finally arrived from the US a few weeks ago, albeit to an address I wasn't allowed to go to in locked down Sydney.  However, I persuaded someone to mail them for me and as you can see below, they're now in my possession and look pretty good.

spacer.png

Construction will begin shortly, and while this WIP has potential to be a bit of a repeat of the previous, I will try to bring in a bit more of the history of this airframe to keep it interesting.  *Hint* - there may be one more build in this series!

Cheers;

Mark.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

….and so, it took a little longer to get going than expected, but we’re off.  

In the finest tradition of kitchen bench modelling I finally made a start to the Dakota, taking it as far as I could without being able to paint (the fuselage halves are not glued).  As with the last one, there’s zero work in the cockpit beyond assembly.  It’ll get a covering of interior green and that’s it.  I’ll do a bit more at the rear as this also will have the doors displayed open.

spacer.png

And then, finally, today, I was able to put the modelling cubby together and get some paint splashed about.

spacer.png

It feels good to be back at it. I’ll be able to finish basic assembly in one or two more sessions and then it’ll be on to painting.

Feels good to be back at it.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looking forward to following this one, too!  May I ask who did the custom decals for you?  Please feel free to PM if you don't want it all over the board.

Thanks!  The sheet is my design which had printed by a US company.  Quality was ok, not great.  I’ve since redesigned the sheet with three aircraft instead of two, and had them reprinted by an Aussie company.  I’ll post here when I get them and how they turned out.  Happy to share company names after that.

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent to see you back at the bench Mark, looking forward to the next installment. 

Great start fella and a very tidy work area too.

Thanks Chris, won’t take me long to make a mess, 😊

• Like 5

The custom decals arrived earlier this week and they look terrific.  I’m a bit concerned the diamond markings for the nose are a bit on the large side, but otherwise it all looks spot on size-wise.  

spacer.png

I’m making good progress towards using them too, almost finished with construction.  I was able to do a better job with this one than the last, though having pushed forward with wing assembly prior to joining them to the fuselage there’s a small challenge to overcome to get a clean join.  Details on that later.

I’ll add some details in the next post on the wing join and some of the minor assembly challenges, for now here’s the progress.

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful job!  I see you have the cowlings on and the engines painted separately.  What's your plan for installing the engines in the cowlings?  Can you fit them in through the front lip of the cowling?

Thanks!  The pics are a little out of order, the engines are installed and the cowls glues around them afterwards as per instructions.  In the pic they are already installed and masked with a little piece of packaging foam.

Some build details left out of yesterday’s post;

spacer.png

I blanked off the tail where the cone was left off, just needs a swipe with a sanding stick apparently :).  I drilled out the little vent by the door, and for this one (as opposed the the previous) I also cut out the little window just aft.  Finally, the undercarriage was given the treatment and looks pretty good I think.

I did run into a problem gap at the wing root because I assembled out of sequence.  

spacer.png

I elected to use some stretched sprue and Tamiya Extra Thin cement to fill the gaps as the joint needed some structural integrity.  A simple fix and easily cleaned up tomorrow with a sanding stick.

One of the casualties of our move was “Kwitcherbitchin” - damaged beyond my willingness to repair (at the time of discovery, now I’m second guessing…).  However in the spirit of this build, I.e. the same airframe some months later, I salvaged some parts to use on the new model.  Some continuity of airframe where none was originally planned.  Seems fitting, somehow.

spacer.png

Once I’ve cleaned up the last remaining issues with the sanding stick, I’ll be able to start painting.  

Cheers.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The decals look lovely  and I loke the loading bay weathering and the engines have come out well too.

Looking forward to  the wing assembly going on.

Great job

Chris 

Thanks Chris.  That weathering will mostly be hidden inside the fuselage but creates a good impression when compared to the previous build of the same airframe some months earlier.  

I’m very excited to try the decals!

• Like 1

• mark.au changed the title to No. 437 Squadron RCAF Dakota - A continuation of the "Kwitcherbitchin" Story

That’s a very nice 437 Squadron Dakota @tonyot, “Fort Rea” is a prime reference for how I’m going to finish mine.

Those that know me, know I love painting, so I’m in my happy place now…

spacer.png

spacer.png

The process begins with a rough and ready black pre-shade and then I used a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics to put down the base Neutral Grey. With that done I post-shaded with a lightened shade to introduce some more [still subtle] contrast.  After sealing with a gloss clear, I’ll do some more post-shading and airbrush work, along with some chalk pastels to finish the work-horse weathering state I’m going for (as seen on “Fort Rea”.

Next, though, is the topside base coat and shading which will follow the same basic process as the underside.

Cheers.

• Like 9

And we have stripes.  I like to paint them on the base colour as it helps with depth.  In this case, they are also going to be grubby so off-white is just fine for them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next the real fun begins with a weathered topsides with over-painted D-Day stripes.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, airjiml2 said:

You going to complete the trio (or the quartet) with its civilian scheme (or post war RCAF?)

Jim

I am.  I’ll do the Environment Canada scheme for sure, and maybe the post-war RCAF as well.

• Like 1

I worked quite hard at getting a worn Olive Drab finish without making it a patchwork caricature of one. Starting with a rough pre-shade I applied several light coats of Tamiya Olive Drab to complete the base layer and then added some tonal variation with Khaki Drab and even a little Khaki too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then, I used some Hataka RAF Dark Green to represent where the D-Day stripes were over painted.  

I also took a bit of artistic licence perhaps; FZ692 was originally built for the USAAF and so, in all likelihood was delivered with US markings.  When it was given/sold/transferred to the RAF in February 1944 it may well have still be wearing this US markings, which the Raf would have painted out - using RAF paint.  So, I cut a mask and painted Dark Green on the upper wing (and same process for the underside) where the markings would have may have been.  It's quite subtle but it's there.  If nothing else these markings acknowledge the airframe's heritage, and I like that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lastly, I added a little texture to the overall and called it finished. For now, at least.  I know from experience that the gloss coat/flat coat finishing layers will tone down the texture a little - I'll revisit the final finish in the weathering process later.

This evening I'll apply the clear gloss coat in preparations for the decals - I'l really looking forward to seeing how they look and perform on the model.

Cheers.

• Like 4

...and now with a gloss coat.  A lot of my texturing has disappeared under the gloss but hopefully it will come back, albeit subdued when the fish coats are applied.

spacer.png

I'll get the underside glossed up today, and then on to decals.

• Like 6