Tamiya 1/48 P51B Mustang

Hi Fellow Modelers

Tamiya P51B Mustang, Eduard Cockpit & PMask canopy mask.  This kit and bits were kindly given to me by a friend.  Few personal things going on at the moment this end so modelling keeps me focused,

Unfortunately on this occasion I got a bit engrossed and carried away and didnt take pics from the start of the build.  Having said that though there is not anything really to report thus far, its a Tamiya after all.  

However there is one very minor point with the Eduard set, in that the film sheet is black with clear holes.  When placed over the gauges/instruments PE you can hardly see them. So I would recommend using a thin clear piece of acetate sheet.  You will see what I mean by the pics below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You could barely see these instruments with the Eduard film

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aaaaaagh dreaded exhaust holes to be drilled out (below)

spacer.png

Bit of work to do here with the wash and the belts

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not quite sure at this stage as to what colour to to do, there are so many brilliant schemes out there.  Im leaning though towards a Tuskegee Red Tail. for a number of reasons!!

Hope you like, thanks for looking

Take care & safe

Si

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Just a bit of an update

Just a couple of things before I carry on. I would have liked to have done this kit as a Tuskegee Red Tail, However, the decals seem to a bit few and far between (in general & suppliers who dont have them in stock), unless you get them from the US and then the carriage is more than the item. So Ive decided to do the kit version. (bare metal).  Bare metal is the other thing, did funnily enough a 1/72 mustang as a kid, I seem to remember I think it was Humbrol No.11 silver with a hairy stick, no weathering or anything.  So now armed with Alclad II.  Ive heard great reports of it and I sprayed the Mustang the other day and I totally agree.  It went on really well (see pics below).  Now the metallics, hopefully they will go on just as well? So this will be a proper first bare metal for me.

If you dont get any further posts on this you know why haha

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apologies for the pics, it looks much nicer in the flesh so to speak.

Take care all & safe

Si

• Like 7