RCAF SE5A

Evening. Completed this build  a few days ago and just got round to doing the pics.  Its the ESCI 1/72nd kit ( which came with an Albatross DIII in one box by Italeri. I know its not a brilliant kit but its the only one I have seen in ages. The Revell one from yonks ago is  one I have built a few times and not seen that one around either Roden kits... well they have history don't they by way of being complicated builds if you can get that far.  Anyway the decals used on this are by Leading Edge Models and a fairly recent sheet. I think it was released a few months back. It has options for four SE s 2 silver and two in PC10. One s a 2 seater. I opted for the one you see here.   I used Humbrol Ivory No.41 for the doped linen and Olive drab for the PC.10 as it is fairly close to the many shades of that colour.

QfHm3g.jpg

dtvzrB.jpg

T0gyJ7.jpg

Xwcjap.jpg

Aj6Ypq.jpg

QVWEI3.jpg

PTBChO.jpg

XFSQ4K.jpg

Its not fully rigged as my eyes and shaky left hand were doing overtime in trying to get the work done!

There must be some reason why a civvy reg was worn by some of these but modelling wise it makes an  interesting subject

• Like 15

7 hours ago, noelh said:

My only issue is the Lewis gun on a civvie Se5. 

It is supposed to be still a military plane. I too,think it strange that it wears civilian markings.

• Thanks 1

Lovely little build.

The Canadian Air Force had a long gestation period - it didn't really become a military branch until the mid-1920s so I presume the civilian marking were retained because there wasn't any other option to paint them into or they wanted to retain an appearance of civilian status.

• Like 1

What a lovely model!  It’s great to see an aircraft of this fascinating era modelled.

To make a very long story short, until 1927 in Canada, Air Force aircraft carried G-CY**registrations and civil aircraft G-CA**.

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Carl V said:

What a lovely model!  It’s great to see an aircraft of this fascinating era modelled.

To make a very long story short, until 1927 in Canada, Air Force aircraft carried G-CY**registrations and civil aircraft G-CA**.

Carl

Top reply! AT least I have learnt something and so have others now. Thanks very much for the comments!