F-4E AUP, 338 Mira, Hellenic Air Force

airbus320

10 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Looking sublime.  The decals appear to have gone down pretty well from here, any issues?  I've got Procal decals (and stencils) for the standard 338/339 AUP line jets for a future build.

I was a little worried looking at them on the sheet as they looked rather thick. My worries were unfounded though as they settled down nicely and a bit of decal setting solution drew them into the panel lines. Even where the carrier film folded over the leading edge of the fin they settled down nicely. Highly recommend them! 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m finally back at the bench! The procal stencils arrived only to find out they were way too dark for the AUP. As Dubai is at the end of a long supply chain and the stencils on the real thing are so close in colour to the camo that they are almost invisible I decided to put the most visible ones on and ignore the rest rather than ordering another set of stencils.

The photo below is where she is now, I’ve added a wash and some light dirt using tamiya smoke. That’s all been sealed in with a satin wash, I’ll add some weathering with oils before a final flat coat to seal it all in. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it finished in the next week or so in between studying for my return to the skies! 😎

Chris 

XcNNkD1.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks guys! The oils weathering and watercolour pencil scuff marks are now added and sealed in with the first coat of flat varnish. Tomorrow I will hopefully get the final touch ups complete, stick on a lot of bits and give it all another coat of flat varnish. Should see this one over the finish line in the next couple of days, all being well…

Chris

nPzcHO0.jpg

• Like 12

And she’s done! Had a productive day at the bench, managed to get all the bits on and the final flat coat done. There were a few minor issues towards the end (almost entirely of my own making!) such as snapping off one of the stabilisers (common issue with the Hasegawa kits) but I drilled it out and pinned it back into place. As a final touch the FOD guards were added to the intakes (after losing one down said intake 😆) and the ladder painted and added too. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some decent pictures up in the next few days but here’s a teaser for now!

Chris 

r9o0py1.jpg

• Like 12

As far as I'm concerned, that's the winner! 

I like the contrast between the faded greys and the bright tanks. I'm very impressed with the metalwork, very very. The build is original, complex and very tidy, very very tidy. I'm looking very hard for something to balance my praise with but I can't find anything I don't like. 

I have to give you 10/10. 

Very well done, go to the top of the class!

• 2 weeks later...