F-4E AUP, 338 Mira, Hellenic Air Force

airbus320

Hello everyone,

it’s been a long time since I have participated in a group build but as I was planning to build a Phantom anyway it made sense to join the fun! The Phantom is without a doubt my favourite jet, I used to have quite a few completed models but they were damaged beyond repair while in storage back in the UK. I’ve been slowly rebuilding my collection and I’ve completed the two British ‘tooms shown below:

miSJJU9.jpg
Gtr7tEa.jpg

For this GB I’m planning on building the Hobbytime (Hasegawa) 1/48 F-4E as a Greek AUP Phantom using a mountain of Eduard goodies plus some other parts. This kit contains some PE which I will be chopping up to more closely resemble the AUP Phantom. Some photos of the kit and extras are below (apologies for the sideways photos, I’ll fix that in future updates!):

uct129O.jpg

aBS40tQ.jpg

I’ll be using the Hataka Greek Air Force set as I think the colours looked pretty good on my Kinetic F-5. I love the look of these colours on the Phantom!

bQZCQkk.jpg

So far I’ve primed some of the cockpit parts and I’ll try to get some paint and PE on them tomorrow.

Thanks for looking guys and looking forward to seeing lots of wonderful ‘tooms take shape during this GB! :)

Chris

• Like 15

Ok so I’ve managed to make some headway! In spite of consuming some single malt (I lost my job due to COVID last year and today I had an interview with my old company who indicated I will be getting my job back soon!) I think I did ok… :)

Last night I primed the cockpit parts in MIG black primer. I removed some of the resin detail with the intention of replacing it with PE.

RKWcils.jpg

Today I coated the parts with MIG FS26231 and added the PE parts to more closely resemble the AUP version of the F-4E. Some drybrushing and washes followed along with a coat of flat varnish. I even managed to get the fuselage halves together! Not started on the bang seats yet but they will be a good side project in the future when the main airframe is drying etc.

HdurFak.jpg
snQTsFq.jpg

YKSH8C3.jpg
2M53VYx.jpg
74kSvdg.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

Thanks guys! Should find out in the next few weeks when the start date is. Better get cracking with as many models as possible in advance!

On 9/6/2021 at 11:47 PM, exdraken said:

Nice start, fingers crossed for your job!

Interesting project! Have not heard of this boxing before! How are the kit decals?

The kit is great! Hasegawa plastic with some Eduard PE for the Terminator 2020 updates and an extensive decal sheet for Turkish, Greek and Iranian Phantoms. The decals look really well printed, good colour density etc and a great selection of markings.

So a little more (sober) modelling has gone on since the last update. The fuselage is mostly complete, some seams on the intakes and rear fuselage area need attention then I’ll be adding the shoulder ECM fairings and IFF antennas above the nose. Then it will be onto the wings and the infamous underside join! I’ve had some success improving this on previous Phantoms so hopefully it won’t be traumatic.

Chris

GMMDwtH.jpg
KoTyLbw.jpg

• Like 10

Hey guys, made quite a bit of progress over the last few days. The wings are on as are their slats. I dropped the ailerons which was more of a challenge than I though, needing quite a bit of plasticard to build them up internally. Having only built the UK versions of the kit previously I was surprised to see how much less detail there is in the long nose kit.

I’ve added some of the lumps and bumps that are specific to the AUP - the ECM antennas on the intake shoulders, the DIAS antenna under the nose (scratch) and the IFF antennas above the nose. (nicked from an F-16) I knocked off the air data probe from forward of the fin so replaced this with some brass tubing. The mount for the Litening pod is fitted to the forward left sparrow well and the pod (also from an F-16) is made up and ready to go. All the external ordinance, wheels and bang seats are done and awaiting paint and I’ve fitted the Eduard brass to the canopies too.

All that remains before paint is tidying up the joint between the Center canopy frame and the fuselage and she’s ready for paint! 

Chris

NfDWhcQ.jpg
5MHSBmD.jpg

Jb8xx3u.jpg
SzHlpdI.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks guys! 

4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Looks good. Are those AUP modifications scratch made?

I'm patiently waiting the Zeus Projects AUP conversion for the ZM F-4EJ kit.

I’m using the resin parts from the Icarus set. They are a bit plain so I added the kit PE parts, modified to fit the AUP layout. The shoulder ECM, tailcone and Litening pod mount come from the same set but the under nose antenna and IFF aren’t included. I scratch built the undernose sensor and used the IFF from spare Kinetic F-16 parts. The Litening pod included in the set is a bit lacking in detail so that too came from a Kinetic F-16.

I was going to wait for the Zeus projects set but I grabbed two of the Hobbytime kits as they are cheap and I couldn’t wait! The other one is going to be one of the Turkish jets that visited RIAT a couple of years ago.

Chris

• Like 2

Ok so I’ve managed a couple of solid days work on the ‘toom. I applied MIG black primer to act as a black base for the camouflage colours then using a very faint marbling technique painted the three main colours of the Aegean ghost scheme. I had a minor setback after priming when I found out that Greek Phantoms lack the triangular reinforcement plates on top of the stabilators so these had to be removed and the surface re-primed. Annoying as they do have the ones underneath and I had to add these from plastic card! 😆

Overall I’m pretty happy with how the camouflage looks, suitably low contrast with subtle fading. From photos this aircraft was pretty clean when it wore this scheme so unlike the majority of Greek F-4s I can’t weather this one to the extreme! The recommended paints for the drop tanks and tail flash have arrived, I’ll probably paint the latter as well to make sure there’s no gaps around the edges of the decals. Tomorrow though I’m going to tackle the radome and exhaust areas.

jJrcB1x.jpg
IcUDjXl.jpg

• Like 11

15 hours ago, vangos said:

Very nice painting.

Sorry for the disappointment but some of them have the triangular reinforcement plates on top of the stabilators. 

Phantoms are a minefield! 🤣 Fortunately the one I’m making doesn’t have them which is a relief!

Sandstorm day here today so did a bit of work on the metal bits around the exhausts. I might add a little more shading here later on.

gBgbibI.jpg

Edited by airbus320
Image link incorrect
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, vangos said:

Nice!

I agree with you about the shading.

What armament will you put on?

The jet in question went to Volkel for the 2019 show with a pair of wing tanks, a centreline tank and two baggage pods. Unfortunately I only have the one baggage pod so I think I will go for the common AUP load out of three tanks and a Litening pod.

Chris

Thank you for the kind comments folks!

So I found out last week that I don’t have the correct stencils for the Greek AUPs. I’ve ordered a set of Procal stencils but they probably won’t arrive until next week, by which point I’ll be out of the country! I’ve therefore applied the main markings over a gloss coat (Tamiya X22) and left them to dry. The model will therefore probably stay in this state for the next couple of weeks until I get back in mid-October.

Chris

p.s. please excuse the absolute disaster area that is my workbench!!!!

7YrdxC1.jpg

• Like 9

Looking sublime.  The decals appear to have gone down pretty well from here, any issues?  I've got Procal decals (and stencils) for the standard 338/339 AUP line jets for a future build.

• Like 1