Getting back in the groove! Fw-190A-7, Hasegawa, 1/72

Fw-190A-7 | 1/72 | Hasegawa

II./JG I "Oesau", Dortmund Field, Germany, January 1944

fQE8dJK.jpg

Finished this on 8/31/2021.  After a prolonged absence from the bench I decided I should get back in the groove with a "simple" build -- low part count, high quality kit, straightforward paint scheme.  This Hasegawa Fw-190A-7 checked all the boxes.  I wasn't too excited about the kit originally because the box art made the paint scheme seem much less interesting that it turned out to be!

The decals were damaged; the waxed paper covering had stuck to them and they were slightly yellow.  Therefore all the national markings were out of the spares box, and the cowl black and white stripes were painted.  I used the number 3, the unit crest on the cowl and the stencils from the original sheet, I just carefully cleaned the paper off with water before soaking the decal.  Worked fine.

Not much to say about the kit except that it was practically painless to put together.  I only had one trouble spot on the cowl where the gun insert went and that may have been my fault!

Practically OOB, except for some tape seatbelts and lead wire break lines.  Oh, and I had to fabricate the step out of styrene since Hasagawa molded it retracted.

WIP is here.

Finishing:  seams filled with CA.

Paint: Mr Color RLM 74/45/56, Mr Color White/Mr. Surfacer black on cowl, Tamiya Red for spinner and stripe, Hataka RLM 70 propeller.

aqVtozy.jpg

Elgn0N7.jpg

jnaNxP5.jpg

FCpMieR.jpg

p1QnJYQ.jpg

dvv4E2s.jpg

C1HOrU6.jpg

Uub9zUK.jpg

dZzzlAf.jpg

8MSO7nl.jpg

tT28Iw5.jpg

I hope you like it.  Comments, questions and constructive criticism always accepted! :) 

• Like 49

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done on this, its a great scheme. 

Thanks Dennis!  It has become a favorite because of the scheme.  Nice to have you along on this one too.

15 hours ago, janneman36 said:

This is a very nice looking 190 , I like the subtle wheathering👍👍

It does give you the feel as you are  looking at a bigger scale aircraft😁

cheers, Jan

Thank you! The comment about a bigger scale aircraft is high praise indeed!

14 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Love these shots, this turned out perfectly. I'd love to see you do this in 1/32.......great work!

Thank you Jeff!  I have some '70's era Revell 1/32 kits from my dad (but no Fw), I wonder how easily I could transition to that scale? 🤔  Nice to have you along on this one... I hope the pencil panel line method works out for you when you try it.

8 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Really impressive work in 1/72. I like the subtle weathering, great effort! 

Thank you very much. I've work very hard to learn how to be subtle with the weathering because I thank that's what makes or breaks the realism of a modle.

7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Masterful work as always, and another gorgeous result. The finish is beautiful and as others have said, the weathering is restrained and all the more convincing for it. Superb!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Nice to have you along for the ride, too! :) 

7 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nice indeed. Superbly finished!

Miguel

Thank you Miguel, I am very happy with it.

• Like 1

Opus,

Are you sure you haven't foisted an Eduard 1/48 kit on us? That's a fantastic build, and I really like the scheme and markings you chose- really stand out from the usual ones. In the hands of a skilled modeler, which you so obviously are, the classic Hasegawa kit can still hold its own against much newer and more detailed  releases. You nailed the colors, too! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, billn53 said:

Superbly executed!

23 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Wonderful Wurger, beautiful build and finish !

Wulfman

Thank you gentlemen! :) 

23 hours ago, Hoops said:

I hope that your mojo is restored!

Great looking build!

Hoops

Thanks!  Yeah... it was just the thing to get into the mood for more demanding subjects. ;) 

9 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

That`s a lovely 190 especially the always complicated black and white stripe nose section. :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you sir! The nose really makes the model... it just stands out on the shelf!

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Opus,

Are you sure you haven't foisted an Eduard 1/48 kit on us? That's a fantastic build, and I really like the scheme and markings you chose- really stand out from the usual ones. In the hands of a skilled modeler, which you so obviously are, the classic Hasegawa kit can still hold its own against much newer and more detailed  releases. You nailed the colors, too! :like:

Mike

Thank you, that is very kind!  I probably mentioned it but, the funny thing is that the box art really didn't make me excited about the build, but now it's become a favorite.

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Although not my era she looks awesome. A masterpiece build.

Serkan

Thank you sir!

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, Nanond said:

Great job! I like Hasegawa 1/72 Fw190A and you've done it nicely here. 

Nanond

Thanks!  It was a great kit.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, Winenut said:

Great 190 executed in a cracking scheme I've not seen before

Well done indeed

Thank you... I hadn't seen this scheme before either, but I really like it!

16 hours ago, BerndM said:

Excellent build and the colorful JG 1 cowlings are always a great choice.

Thank you... I agree! :) 

• Like 2