Lucky result at Bournemouth

pigsty

Thank goodness, apparently just minor injuries in this prang today: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19559520.plane-crashes-bournemouth-air-festival-display/ 

You have to love the journalism, though.  On one source it was "at an air show in Bournemouth", as though there were two or three.  And another feels it necessary to point out it's the tenth anniversary of the nasty Red Arrows incident ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, pigsty said:

Thank goodness, apparently just minor injuries in this prang today: Plane crashes during Bournemouth Air Festival display | Daily Echo

You have to love the journalism, though.  On one source it was "at an air show in Bournemouth", as though there were two or three.  And another feels it necessary to point out it's the tenth anniversary of the nasty Red Arrows incident ...

Unfortunately no real info in your post either, and the link seems to be circular to this post here ( at least on my phone here..).. what happened??

Thanks!

Ooohhh ... What happened?  Bliddy computers, that's what happened.  How I hate the things.  Best I can do is leave in the address as plain text - you'll have to copy it into your search window, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Can anyone make sense of Daily Howl coverage?

On 9/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, noelh said:

Unfortunately I can't make sense of the Daily Fail coverage.

What are you two talking about? I can only see that Daily Wail link.

I gather that one of the wingwalking display' Stearman aircraft had an engine problem which resulted in a ditching very close to shore, apparently right outside the RNLI area (handy).

The aircraft inverted on landing, both pilot and wingwalker got out OK.   Not sure whether the young lady had had time to get back into cockpit before the ditching -think so. . Sounded like badly misfiring engine.

The aircraft has been hauled out. Starboard wings fairly mangled and sea water will have seriously damaged the engine.

Main thing is, both OK. God job by pilot putting down neatly, avoiding all the boats around, in a spot where rescue could be fast.   

• Like 2

My understanding is that the "wingwalker" is usually strapped into the frame before take-off and remains there until after landing.  Presumably, however, there is a quick-release mechanism and this was used at some stage: it would be interesting to learn just how.

If the wingwalker had to release her harness and climb down into the front cockpit-section, whilst the aircraft was experiencing the engine issues, then she is one extremely lucky person. If she had been strapped in on the wing at the time of the incident, then her survival chances would have been extremely low. I'm very glad both pilot and wingwalker got out OK. 

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough money to do a wingwalker's job. I admire these ladies enormously. 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

My understanding is that the "wingwalker" is usually strapped into the frame before take-off and remains there until after landing.  Presumably, however, there is a quick-release mechanism and this was used at some stage: it would be interesting to learn just how.

I've often seen these guys perform - under various names - and have often seen the wingwalker climb back into the cockpit before landing. I think however when 'guest' wingwalkers are involved (charity events and the like), there people are more permanently fixed to the support as they won't have been fully trained on how to get back into the cockpit.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

I have often been impressed by the athletic behaviour of the professional wingwalkers. We had them, when flying as Utterly Butterly, briefly based with us - and we helped out with some minor aircraft repair.  The ladies were very lithe & fit, fast moving and sure footed.

Regaining the cockpit quickly in an emergency was regularly practiced, so if possible they'd have gone for that. If the pilot reckoned he had more than around thirty seconds before impact that would be enough apparently.  Being on the tip wing when the a/c inverted on water impact would be very unpleasant indeed and darn dangerous too (especially if the water was shallow.)

I thought them impressively brave just in normal circumstances!  The pilots said handling was quite different when a wingwalker was in place, as you'd expect - all that extra drag well above the centreline.

Glad it all went well.

• Like 1