Question for Middle East Experts -- what would have been sitting on a Syrian airfield 1945-1951?

28ZComeback

Sorry for the odd question but I have an idea for a Mosquito diorama.  Just learned that PR.34s flew all about the southern borders of Russia in the Cold War and made fuel stops from time to time in friendly territory. What types of aircraft would be sitting around the edges of a Syrian airfield in the immediate post-war years? So far I have located photos or profiles of Spitfire 22's, Machi 205's and Fiat G.55's. Also Percival Proctors, and NA T-6's. Were there any other odd-ball planes left over by the French such as Morane 406's, Dewotine 520s, or other types?  I would think most Vichy types were in the junk yard by then but not certain. Thanks for any response!

• Like 1

Hello!

I think the first Meteors arrived post-1951. Apart from types already listed it was mentioned on ACIG forum (which unfortunately I am now unable to find on the web) that four DC-3 airliners had also been impressed into service during Palestine war/War of independence as transport. Also, some FIAT G.59 two-seaters arrived from Italy in late 1940'. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello!

I think the first Meteors arrived post-1951. Apart from types already listed it was mentioned on ACIG forum (which unfortunately I am now unable to find on the web) that four DC-3 airliners had also been impressed into service during Palestine war/War of independence as transport. Also, some FIAT G.59 two-seaters arrived from Italy in late 1940'. Cheers

Jure

You need to be a member to access ACIG Forum. The articles are no longer there but most can be found on the Internet Archive, like this one for example: Syrian Fighting Texans.

HTH.

• Thanks 2

Glad to be of help, guys! Please take into account that Tom Cooper himself said that he didn't put back the articles online when he reformed ACIG because a lot of the information in them is outdated and the effort has been put into the Helion books instead. Caveat emptor!

• Thanks 1