Wet Effects, Fuel Stains, Fresh Engine Oil Brushers

Mike

Wet Effects, Fuel Stains, Fresh Engine Oil Brushers

Enamel Paint & Brush System for Modelling

AMMO of Mig Jiménez

wet-fuel-oil.jpg

We’re probably all broadly familiar with AMMO’s Oil Brusher range of colours, which offer easy access to diluted oil paints in a handy tube that incorporates a finely pointed brush in the cap for quick & simple application to your model.  AMMO have now extended this to a range of enamel-based brushers that give you the same instant access to other effects that can be applied straight from the brush onto your latest masterpiece without the drawbacks of having to mix them yourself or the risk of spilling an open-topped bottle all over your keyboard.  I’ve done that in the past with glues and the likes, which gets expensive in the long-run.

Each Brusher contains 10ml of product in the same slender tubular bottle with applicator brush in the screw-topped cap, with the name of the effect on the label that is wrapped around the circumference.  The label also covers the usual safety warnings and an admonishment to shake well before use, which is well-worth listening to, as enamel paints separate out over time.  The brushes are finely tapered, but in my sample the bristles were hooked over from being pressed into the base of the bottle, but this worked out quite well during application.

I sprayed one of my test fuselage halves with some Gunze WWII US AFV Green that was left over from my son’s Pershing project, and left it to dry for a while.  Then I applied the three effects, using (from left to right) Wet Effects first, then Fuel Stains, and finally Fresh Engine Oil, all after a good agitating with my bicep used as motive power.  You can see how they worked out in the picture below, and I was quite pleased with the end results, which were achieved after a few moments of work.

example.jpg

Fresh Engine Oil Brusher (A.MIG-1800)

This is the darkest of the three shades, and represents recent deposits of oil, straight from the sump, system or nearest leak.  It has a glossy brownish hue that is of course reminiscent of the real thing, and in the bottle it appears almost black with the vaguest tint of brown that become evident when you tilt it.  Surface tension seems to have drawn additional pigment from the “oil” to the edges, giving it a well-defined border, possibly because it is more viscous than the others tried here.

bin.jpg

Fuel Stains Brusher (A.MIG-1801)

Fuel isn’t generally too dark a shade, and this bottle shows this to good effect, having a light brownish tint that is obvious when looking at the liquid in the bottle.  On the model it creates a satin effect, with a brown/yellowish tint to wherever you brush it on.

bin.jpg

Wet Effects Brusher (A.MIG-1802)

This bottle contains a clear satin to gloss varnish, depending on what type of surface you apply it to.  It spreads a little on a matt surface like the example above, and it imbues a sheen to the surface that represents a wet surface, either from rain, spray or spillage.  The satin effect suspends the wetness in time, and the sheen will stay on your model unless you apply another varnish over the top.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

All of these effect Brushers should be used on your model late in the painting and weathering process to ensure that they are not obliterated by the application of other varnishes or filters, and always pay attention to how gravity draws liquids on surfaces, as well as the angle and texture of the surface itself, remembering to create random shapes, spots and streaks that conform to the scale in which you are modelling wherever possible.  They are intended for models that have been painted with acrylic paints, or after an acrylic barrier coat has been applied between enamel or lacquer paints to prevent them from dissolving the coats beneath. 

Convenience is key to this product, and it can’t get much more convenient than this.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

• Like 1