Prenton

My entry will be one of the highest winged, and one of the shortest STOL, aircraft of the 1930's/1940's - the Fieseler Storch.  I plan on doing this one in Spanish Civil War colours, as everyone else on the web seems to like to do it in the camo and markings of Rommel's plane in the Western Desert.  😀

I will be starting in a week or so, once I finish my entries in two other Group Builds on this forum.

I have both the Academy and the Heller (also reboxed by Smer) examples in 1/72 in my stash.  Anyone know which of these is the best kit to use?

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Prenton said:

I plan on doing this one in Spanish Civil War colours, as everyone else on the web seems to like to do it in the camo and markings of Rommel's plane in the Western Desert.  😀

👍

Well, I have decided to go with the Academy kit, rather than the Airfix/Heller/Smer one.

Here are the usual box and sprue shots, to start off with:-

spacer.png

The Kubelwagen will go into the spares box, for some future build.

spacer.png

Nice crisp plastic, and - unlike the Smer kit - no flash.

spacer.png

The kit allows two options, a war-time Storch and a post-war Criquet, so there are a number of items (principally a radial engine) that

I won't be using.  

As I mentioned in the first post, I also will not be using the kit decals, but these ones, by Kora, which covers the Storch as used by the

Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War:-

spacer.png

I found this etch set in my stash, so it might come into play....

spacer.png

However, the instructions for the etch set show a rather complicated assembly, and I am also a little bit concerned

about the two dimensional nature of the interior struts, which may not be very realistic when seen through the large canopy.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I may opt to use some of the etch details for the interior, such as the seats and seat belts, but replace the interior framework with the

kit items, or with scratchbuilt ones using plastic rod.   We will see...

To be continued.....

Philip

• Like 6

Nice choice Philip, unless you're very good at soldering the flat etch is you're best bet for more detail ? If you can solder then maybe brass wire/tubing. You’d need a small enough diameter to make the framing and using the etch as a guide for measurements. 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice Philip, unless you're very good at soldering the flat etch is you're best bet for more detail ? If you can solder then maybe brass wire/tubing. You’d need a small enough diameter to make the framing and using the etch as a guide for measurements. 

Thanks.  I was thinking of using plastic rod, rather than brass wire/tubing.  I think I have some that has a smaller diameter than the kit supplied plastic, but about the same one as the etch (though circular, rather than flat).  I am thinking of using the etch as a guide for measurements, though, as you suggest.  (I once did it with plastic rod on a Special Hobby Anson, in lieu of the rather brittle resin framework on that kit, and it worked....with a lot of effort....)

Thanks

Philip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks, I have to drop out. 

I was scrunched away from my modelling table in mid September, due to 1:1 scale necessities in my modelling den (aka the spare room) - the ceiling came in due to water ingress as a result of bird nests in the roof over the last couple of years (hint - if you hear birds in the attic, get rid of them - though not in the nesting seasons).  This led to having the entire roof replaced during October, and then the ceiling in the room restored and replastered, and a new carpet installed this month..  I am only back in the room yesterday, which is, in reality, far too late to get moving on this kit and finish it by November 24th 

Maybe next time.  Best of luck to all those who have, or are in a position to, complete in this GB.

Philip

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Prenton said:

Sorry folks, I have to drop out. 

I was scrunched away from my modelling table in mid September, due to 1:1 scale necessities in my modelling den (aka the spare room) - the ceiling came in due to water ingress as a result of bird nests in the roof over the last couple of years (hint - if you hear birds in the attic, get rid of them - though not in the nesting seasons).  This led to having the entire roof replaced during October, and then the ceiling in the room restored and replastered, and a new carpet installed this month..  I am only back in the room yesterday, which is, in reality, far too late to get moving on this kit and finish it by November 24th 

Maybe next time.  Best of luck to all those who have, or are in a position to, complete in this GB.

Philip

Hello Philip I think I can say no problem we understand. I’m sorry to hear of your troubles though. Closest Ive come to that is a family of Raccoons trying to pogo dance into my last house. I came home and Heard a bunch of grunting in one of the other rooms. When I tracked it down, I found a 1/2 dozen raccoons bouncing on a piece of drywall still hanging from the ceiling. Luckily they hadn't gotten it far enough for any of the fat lil buggers to actually get through the gap. 

• Like 1