Yet Another Challenger 2

Hamden

Thanks @PlaStix more madness to follow with the turret!

Spent some time today looking at turret pictures trying to work out what I need to add to make it look suitably busy and how I could represent the breech which takes up a lot of turret space.

A rummage through some odds and sods turned up this

IMG-0091.jpg

Any idea what it is?......................... if you thought Panther transmission then you would be right, checking the overall size and shape and eyeing it up inside the turret base shows this has possibilities

IMG-0092.jpg

So after showing the transmission some attention with Bill's @perdu SIHRSC tool of choice and a Dremel we have this

IMG-0093.jpg

IMG-0094.jpg

Think after an application of Miliput followed by sanding sticks I think we have something that will look like a breech block through the turret hatches, I've also started to add some electrical boxes to the turret walls

IMG-0095.jpg

Thanks for looking in and all your likes and comments.

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 14

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Thanks @PlaStix more madness to follow with the turret!

Spent some time today looking at turret pictures trying to work out what I need to add to make it look suitably busy and how I could represent the breech which takes up a lot of turret space.

A rummage through some odds and sods turned up this

IMG-0091.jpg

Any idea what it is?......................... if you thought Panther transmission then you would be right, checking the overall size and shape and eyeing it up inside the turret base shows this has possibilities

IMG-0092.jpg

So after showing the transmission some attention with Bill's @perdu SIHRSC tool of choice and a Dremel we have this

IMG-0093.jpg

IMG-0094.jpg

Think after an application of Miliput followed by sanding sticks I think we have something that will look like a breech block through the turret hatches, I've also started to add some electrical boxes to the turret walls

IMG-0095.jpg

Thanks for looking in and all your likes and comments.

Stay safe          Roger

As you are doing the turret you might as well treat us with doing the driver’s position as well😏

Ivan

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

As you are doing the turret you might as well treat us with doing the driver’s position as well

Thanks for your comment Ivan, the drivers compartment has already been fitted out with drivers seat, sticks, batterys and i.p.

IMG-0053.jpg

IMG-0048.jpg

None of this will be seen as the hatch will be covered by the turret bussell as the LH front fuel bag is going to be shown being changed, I job I really liked doing! (if you believe that you'll believe anything).

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the likes and comments they are very much appreciated.

I have had a small package arrive from Accurate Armour containing a set of late pattern road wheels (the kit has the early type which is wrong for the time scale I'm portraying) and a set of open fuel tank covers.

A small amount of work has been done inside the turret with a rudimentary turret basket has been added together with a representation of the back turret wall.

IMG-0096.jpg

IMG-0097.jpg

IMG-0098.jpg

IMG-0099.jpg

Not a lot done but at least it's progress more soon I hope

Thanks for looking stay safe                Roger

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes and comments they do make a difference and your time is very much appreciated.

Still working on the turret but as there is very little difference to show from the above pics: I haven't bothered to take any more of that area at present other than one of the commanders seat, as a change from the turret work I have returned to the hull and added the main charge bin at the rear of the fighting compartment although I don't think it will be visible once the turret is completed and in place. I have also fitted one of the AA fuel tank fillers as I want at least one in the open position, they are in the usual very brittle AA resin which makes them very delicate to cut out and handle. Any way back to the turret for a bit now I think

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Thanks for looking in and if anyone is going to the South West Model Show at Bovington Tank Museum this month I am sharing a table with a friend in I think the tank story hall please stop by it would be nice to put faces to names.

Stay safe       Roger

• Like 14

Really nice work, as ever, Roger. 

The engine bay is looking suitably busy and I do like the open fuel filler.

I'd love to be going to the SW show but alas getting a long weekend pass from the Mrs particularly for the two days before her birthday...:fraidnot:

Good luck, hope the show turns out to be as great as I'd imagine.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd love to be going to the SW show

Sorry you can't make the SW show Darryl it would have been nice to meet up and put a face to the name, there is a one day show on 10/09/22 at the same venue if that is of any interest.

Thanks for the like and comment your time is appreciated.

Stay safe    Roger

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

Sorry you can't make the SW show Darryl it would have been nice to meet up and put a face to the name, there is a one day show on 10/09/22 at the same venue if that is of any interest.

Hmmmmm.....Dorset early September,  almost sounds like an excuse for a summer holiday. :idea:

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look, like and comment your time is very much appreciated.

After a weekend off for the South West Model show at Bovington Tank Museum which attracted record visitors for the Saturday and was a very good weekend all round. My table is shown below.

IMG-0108.jpg

Right back to the bench this week and back on the CR2, some of the detail bits such as lights and exterior fire extinguishers were added to the front of the hull with associated wiring looms. Some details were added to the turret such as the commanders sight and various armoured covers for various optics for the gunner and loader as well as extra details around the rear of the hull.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Stay safe               Roger

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the Chally the turret is now together and primed and the tiffy has inspected the rear sprockets and decided they need replacement so I have been trying to cast some replacement sprocket wheels but unfortunately managed to break nine out if the ten I've cast so I have repeat the process for that this coming week.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

The worn sprockets are shown below

IMG_0127.jpg

And last of all the hull ready for priming and painting

IMG_0125.jpg

Thanks for the likes and comments and for taking the time to stop by

Stay safe              Roger

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Just a quick one mate the hull shows anti slip but not the turret! Was it already moulded on the hull?

Yes the hull has a good scale representation of anti slip whilst the turret shows some but not so pronounced under primer, may have to revisit the turret anti slip.

Thanks for taking the time to comment 

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1

Good to catch up with progress on this one Roger. Those are worn looking sprockets,  I'd never given any thought to how they must wear out. 

That's a fine looking display table from Bovington too btw:like:

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

worn looking sprockets,  I'd never given any thought to how they must wear out. 

Yes I've probably gone a little over the top on the wear, the sprockets are supposed to be reversed to even the wear on both sides although I have seen wear to this extent very very occasionally usually when the vehicle is due major/second line servicing.

Thanks for the comment on the Bovington display all things being equal I should be back there in September

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1