Yet Another Challenger 2

Hamden

Don't know if anyone is interested in this one? I acquired this Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger 2 from that well known auction site part started very cheaply and the intention is to display it in the BATUS heavy A workshop during winter repair/servicing c2008. The plan is to show the vehicle with pack and gue removed and track tensioner and hydro gas suspension unit being replaced as well as the front RH fuel bag tank. The time frame allows me to paint it in ether two colour green/sand yellow or desert sand brown as it was around then that the colour scheme was changed.  

I have made a start on this so will let the pics: do the talking

IMG-0042.jpg

IMG-0043.jpg

IMG-0044.jpg

IMG-0045.jpg

IMG-0046.jpg

IMG-0047.jpg

IMG-0048.jpg

IMG-0049.jpg

IMG-0050.jpg

I am aware that this kit has short comings but they will hopefully be negated by the way I'm planning to finish/display the model.

If anyone has any photographs of the empty pack compartment they would be willing to share I would be very grateful as I am working mainly by memory.

Thanks for looking in

Stay safe                     Roger

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Looks like an interesting project Roger, I shall need to keep an eye on this one.

Wayne

Seconded, it will definitely be interesting to watch your build.
For what rectangular holes in the bottom? Are these the hatches you want to open?

Vytautas

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vytautas said:

For what rectangular holes in the bottom?

These are the belly plates for access to the gearbox filters and engine oil drain and will left removed.

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm assuming that you have history with these vehicles, so I'll be following along.

John.

Worked for ABRO/DSG on AS90 and CRARRV, CR2 base overhaul with nearly three year secondment to BATUS for second line servicing and winter repair on CR2 and CRARRV's so have some history with these. Thanks for the interest

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looks an interesting project Roger,  I'll try my best to tag along!

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks for taking an interest Darryl  I'll do my best to make it interesting for you, take a seat near the bar 

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hiya Roger your build has tweaked my interest so I'll follow along if you don't mind 🙂👍

The more the merrier Andy, 

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 1

OK another very small update on this project but first thanks to all for your interest in this project especially to @Kiwidave4 for the info: sent via pm.

I needed two extra suspension units as I am showing this with a couple of the units being changed so having some well out of date casting resin and silicone moulding rubber on the shelf it was a no brainer to see if it would still be usable! Also having some/all the road wheels removed a hub would have to be fabricated so looking at the back of the inner wheels there is a reasonable representation of the hub so this was also used to make a mould for casting together with the bearing caps for the hubs. The moulds turned out OK and the suspension units and hubs turned out reasonably well and I think will be useable. I have also replaced the rear lifting eyes in the pack bay as the original ones I made were two small and in the wrong place. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking

IMG-0052.jpg

IMG-0054.jpg

IMG-0055.jpg

IMG-0056.jpg

The battery boxes have been added to the drivers although they won't be visible on the completed model and a cover added to the idler arm housing on the complete side

IMG-0053.jpg

IMG-0057.jpg

A couple of suspension units didn't mould to well as you can see above but I think I have a couple I can use.................

Thanks for stopping by stay safe             Roger

• Like 11

8 hours ago, ivan-o said:

This kit although cheap can build into a good one, I used the AA update on mine.

This will be an interesting job👍

I've got two Trumpeter Chally 2s on the go and also went with the InAccurate Armour upgrades.  I ended up swopping the wheels out on both as the kit wheels aren't great and the barrel are not the best.  You'll find the builds on ARRSE if anyone is interested.

Only thing to watch is the wheels and the comms kit.  New wheels (with the holes) came in in 2002, along with Bowman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on this as I have not had as much bench time as I would like!

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments and taking the time to stop by it's very much appreciated.

Right where was I on yes hull top has been fitted to the lower hull and the front engine bay bulkhead secured, the sponsion's for the fuel tanks and the main engine exhaust have also been blanked off and a start made on adding detail to the rear of the pack bay wall with the APU silencer put in place together with some off the cable covers. Then I discovered by looking at the picture kindly sent by @Kiwidave4 that I had forgotten about the drain area in the lower hull between the final drives so as the plastic is quite thick in this area I was able to grind an indentation to approximate this feature, it's not perfect but should be acceptable the pack bay was then painted white mixed with a little deck tan. 

Enough waffle here are the pics which show what has been going on better than me trying to describe things

IMG-0058.jpg

IMG-0059.jpg

IMG-0064.jpg

IMG-0065.jpg

Thanks for stopping by 

Stay safe                  Roger

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who have been kind enough to take the time and trouble to comment it's very much appreciated. 

Have been a bit short of bench time lately but a very small bit of progress has occurred.

A start has been made on the fuel pipes across the rear plate but there is still along way to go with these.

IMG-0066.jpg

Also the Logistic Corps have delivered a couple of crates with hydro gas replacement units to replace the unserviceable units from the vehicle

IMG-0067.jpg

Many thanks for stopping by

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 13

5 hours ago, ERK said:

Are you going to fully detail the inside of the turret?

Erk.

Afraid not, very little would be seen anyway but thanks for asking.

I was only involved in the automotive side of the servicing/repair the turret was left to the armourers to work there magic.

Stay safe          Roger 

• Like 1