Best alternative to Photobucket these days ?

robvulcan

My only quibble with imgur - is the many moronic comments you get in the comments section if you post public - but I always never reply and block them 

on the upside , I have had several very pleasant comments - so there is that .

I  think the one major fault with imgur is the total lack of any multiple upload facility for more than one photo at a time , you have to copy and paste 

the image code onto a word document , back and forth - before you can post the photos to the Forum 

I don't post more than about 3 or 4 images very often into a thread on this forum; however, I find it quite simple to copy and paste them direct and not have to incorporate a word document.

Open my image in Imgur

EEPXAK0.jpg

Right click once on the Bbcode "COPY" second from bottom on the right

LdyD3U0.jpg

Return to BM and paste straight into the thread here, like this:

]https://i.imgur.com/YOpKDOU.jpg[/ img 

When I check the Preview, on the lower right, the images appear.

YOpKDOU.jpg

It's no effort to just keep repeating that for however many photos need to be added.  I can then add any text around the photos, if needed, before previewing and then submitting.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

It's no effort to just keep repeating that for however many photos need to be added.  I can then add any text around the photos, if needed, before previewing and then submitting.

Agreed. I sometimes think that some people upload too many photos. There are sometimes as many as thirty to forty photos in one post, and a lot of the photos are almost copies of ones already posted.

There is another way to upload the photos from Imgur and that is to click on the second from the top "Direct Link". I'm new to Imgur, so maybe I'm doing it the wrong way around. It still works OK though.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

There is another way to upload the photos from Imgur and that is to click on the second from the top "Direct Link". I'm new to Imgur, so maybe I'm doing it the wrong way around. It still works OK though.

John.

Also being new to imgur that is what I have been using too. Is there any difference between the two suggested or is it just your own choice?

21 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Also being new to imgur that is what I have been using too. Is there any difference between the two suggested or is it just your own choice?

I honestly don't know, but if anyone does know, I'd be pleased to hear.

John.

16 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I would recommend trying both and see which method is best for you.  :winkgrin:

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that. I did just that and the BBcode one did not work for me. The writing just sat there and did not turn into a picture, whilst the direct one does just that.

• Like 1

Mmm.. did you do a Preview, to check if it had loaded?  The writing doesn't turn into a picture until you Submit it; however, the Preview will show if it has loaded OK.

Mike

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Mmm.. did you do a Preview, to check if it had loaded?  The writing doesn't turn into a picture until you Submit it; however, the Preview will show if it has loaded OK.

Mike

No I did not Mike. How do you do that?

Hi Jabba,

when you start a dialogue, such as this one, there will be two buttons in the bottom right corner; just below where it says "insert image from URL. 

The right button says Submit Reply and the left shows Preview.  When you paste the imgur file "img https:// "etc., click on Preview and a fresh page will open, hopefully showing the image. 

If you are happy with that, and have no more to write, then just hit the Submit button and it will be posted.  If you wish to continue typing, then go to the top right corner of the dialogue box and click on the round black button with the white x and it will return you to your post for further editing.  

Once you are happy with your post, hit the submit button for all of us to see and enjoy your work.

Cheers,

Mike

Note:  People who constantly complain about predictive texts, messing up what they write, should also use this preview feature; in order to check their typing before submitting. :dull:

• 1 month later...

I just re-found this useful thread.   Basically all my on-line images were hosted on Photobucket and I'm thinking that imgur will be where my images will now reside.
I intend to transition all my WIP and Finished images to imgur from Photobucket.   Has anyone been able to DIRECTLY transfer their images from one hosting site to the other?   Would it be less complicated for me to simply re-load all my previous images directly to imgur.   With all my images, it will be a daunting task to find all my threads with my images hosted at the current location regardless.   I'm hoping that someone has found an elegant and simple way to do it.

21 minutes ago, John B said:

I just re-found this useful thread.   Basically all my on-line images were hosted on Photobucket and I'm thinking that imgur will be where my images will now reside.
I intend to transition all my WIP and Finished images to imgur from Photobucket.   Has anyone been able to DIRECTLY transfer their images from one hosting site to the other?   Would it be less complicated for me to simply re-load all my previous images directly to imgur.   With all my images, it will be a daunting task to find all my threads with my images hosted at the current location regardless.   I'm hoping that someone has found an elegant and simple way to do it.

When PB went stupid 5 years ago, they still had the option to copy all your images and transfer them back to your computer/devise. I did that right away and glad I did, because soon after, PB dropped that option. My original installed images were still in PB until a month or so ago when they deleted my account. No loss to me!

Chris