Best alternative to Photobucket these days ?

robvulcan

Hi all Rob here.

I’ve not posted here for far far too long and need to get back to it.

one of the reasons is life’s challenges,

the other is Photobucket is horrendous these days and destroyed most my threads and has become awful to use.

what is the best easiest and hopefully cheapest or better yet “free” option to enable me to share photos on posting here.

Thanks in advance.

cheers Rob :) 

I got fed up with the 'free' hosts messing around and went over to smugmug ( I do hate that name though! ). Its a paid-for host. Costs me just under £50 a year. But I just look at it as another cost to my modelling hobby, or about the price of 3 decent model kits

https://www.smugmug.com/

• Like 1

On 04/09/2021 at 04:30, Black Knight said:

£50 a year. But I just look at it as another cost to my modelling hobby, or about the price of 3 decent model kits

I wish that I knew where to get three decent kits for £50! For my areas of interest, it's more like that much for one, on discount, before the inevitable extras! I've noticed my own average cost creeping up inexorably each year.

Anyway, Rob, I'll give a very qualified vote for Flickr, if you don't mind the limited options (such as sizes), messy settings, and awkward sharing (well, there may be an easier way than I think -- still new to it). As a pro, I used to use Zenfolio, which was brilliant, but it would be overkill for sharing a few photos on a forum.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 2:08 AM, robvulcan said:

Hi all Rob here.

I’ve not posted here for far far too long and need to get back to it.

one of the reasons is life’s challenges,

the other is Photobucket is horrendous these days and destroyed most my threads and has become awful to use.

what is the best easiest and hopefully cheapest or better yet “free” option to enable me to share photos on posting here.

Thanks in advance.

cheers Rob :) 

Anything other than Photobucket nowadays would be better it would seem, how to destroy a company through greed 😀

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Is Google Photos any good or do the URL links disappear after a couple of weeks like some other hosting sites?

Google Photos is not good for the very reason you cited.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Yep imgur gets my vote free and very simple to use 👍 

I agree and find it to be the easiest for loading images into Britmodeller threads.

Mike

• Like 4

I use Postimage and have had no problems.

It's a 'free' service but I suspect like all things free there will be an eventual catch.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for a paid subscription as there's no such thing as a free lunch. I've got an awful lot of pictures on there that I don't want to loose. The thought of them all disappearing, as did my Photobucket stuff, worries me. I'll just have to pay a bit. It's only fair I guess.

I use 'smugmug'

I went over to it after the big mess-up by photobucket 4 years ago

It costs me just under £50 a year. But I 'bit the bullet' as the saying goes

But even paid-for sites can go. I used a 'paid-for' host at the same time as p-b and the paid host just closed down one January with just a couple of weeks notice. I'm still replacing photos from that mess

I used to use Imgur but found it a real pain to use at times as it was slow and clunky. Switched over to Photo Hobby Host and really like it. Really easy to use and upload pics from my phone. 4MB size limit on a photo but thats not a problem for me as i just crop the image 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2022 at 18:42, fatfingers said:

I used to use Imgur but found it a real pain to use at times as it was slow and clunky. Switched over to Photo Hobby Host and really like it. Really easy to use and upload pics from my phone. 4MB size limit on a photo but thats not a problem for me as i just crop the image 👍

Regards,

Steve

Same as Steve. Haven't had a problem with them since I joined about 2 years ago.👍

• Like 1

I'm another one with Imgur and quite happy with it.

I didn't look at any other hosts as I had both Imgur and Photobucket accounts at the time Photobucket made their cash grab, so it was just a matter of cancelling one and carrying on with the other.

• Like 2