1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin

41 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Graf Zep was bigger than I realised (assuming she and Warspite are both 1/350!).

On the detailing of the boat bays / hull galleries, Black Cat do some really useful generic detailing sets - small lockers, buckets, hydrants, that kind of thing - which I have acquired with a view to busying up some of Ark’s equivalent spaces (where not obscured by boats, obvs).  Go to their website and search for “Deck Accessories”.

Great work with those struts; I feel your pain!

Yeah she's a big'un for sure, barely fits in my storage cupboard, she's slightly longer than Hood, 

Thanks for the tip on the black cat bits, I'll have a look later, 

thankyou for that link sam , it will come in handy . as the 1/200 scale , I have run out of room , and will be trying the smaller scales .

your work on these ships is outstanding , looking forward to more ,

• Thanks 1

Coming along a treat there Sam like the walkways makes it look busy have you thought of adding some cable reels and storage lockers similar to what you would see on Tirpitz and Bismarck deck fittings.

Just an idea I was thinking of for when I get back on to my build.  :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

I had no idea aircraft carriers were so complicated, :yikes:you’ve set yourself a huge task, but you are doing really well. 👍Mind you, you’ve put me right off building a ‘flattop’ 😜

Jon

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, S-boat 55 said:

My wife is somewhat aggrieved the straps won't be staying, I don't think it's quite right for even a fictitious situation though, 

I wondered if I'd miss-typed the web address somehow, and seriously at that. Then I realised you probably meant to type "stripes".

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I wondered if I'd miss-typed the web address somehow, and seriously at that. Then I realised you probably meant to type "stripes".

Lol, I really must check what I type, that sid there was earlier discussion regarding type of lederhosen lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Faraway said:

I had no idea aircraft carriers were so complicated, :yikes:you’ve set yourself a huge task, but you are doing really well. 👍Mind you, you’ve put me right off building a ‘flattop’ 😜

Jon

I was looking at Taiho the other day, as a kit straight out the box without the extra etch she'd look really good and would actually be pretty straightforward to build, especially as she was a uniform grey up top, albeit there are some omissions to the standard kit like funnel grills that would need sorting,

Edited by S-boat 55

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Coming along a treat there Sam like the walkways makes it look busy have you thought of adding some cable reels and storage lockers similar to what you would see on Tirpitz and Bismarck deck fittings.

Just an idea I was thinking of for when I get back on to my build.  :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

That's a great idea Beefy, in a ser of WEM reels  and there should be a few bits spare from the eduard set of Graf Spee though ull need to check what's doubled with the mk1 set for her again, following the suggestion I looked at black cat stuff and some lockers from them look appealing as well, 

Last few struts in place, I found a few I had missed and then lost, then discovered I had lost a few in the carpet but most are where they should be ish,;

y4mHIN-NhbpmD6yNQRki2xsCJIwAaq-vlS0JkHjH

So that and a few (well 16) doors later and the hull assembly is now ready to prime there isn't much else i can do without causing issues later. 

y4mHIN-NhbpmD6yNQRki2xsCJIwAaq-vlS0JkHjH

Oddly Eduards set doesn't have enough doors so I used a WEM one - which looks very very different, I may need to change that - where i'd get one eduard german door from though is the question, maybe spare from my Bismarck set but i don't like using spares as a contingency is always handy, 

There's still a lot to do with the upper hangar and side bays but i am essentially at a point where I will need to pick a paint scheme for her. She will now take a back seat while Taiho catches up, i finish off Dunky (so so so close) and wait for clement outdoor airbrushing weather, 

However - I have in the drawer colourcoats i bought for Bismarck and Graf Spee, so I'll us those but the question is how. Id appreciate and suggestions chaps keeping in mind that my chosen approach is to keep it all pretty clean, much more builders model than diorama - this is not to say anything against well weathered models, many are stunning (e.g rgl's zeppy which lead me to buy this kit really), 

So i have a few ideas but others thoughts and suggestions would be welcome;

1) Dunklegrau 51 as used on Bismarck on her upper hull, and likewise to use this on zeppy up to the flight deck level with hellgrau 50 taking over for the superstructure

2) Dunklegrau 51 up an initial band of the hull with the hellgrau taking over just below the casemates and above, effectively creating a band around the lower hull akin to ark royal when she was lost. 

3) Going with a camo scheme akin tirpitz or trumpys instructions or maybe even a speckle type like Scharnhorst in the channel dash - my only concern is i don't really want to hide the crazy yet elegent lines of the hull which a camo scheme might be

4) stick with the zebra print (okay this isnt really an option but it would certainly be different)

5) the other option is just to go overall dunklegrau or hellgrau 

Whivh is most likely and which would display best I don't know, in the words of Princess Leia - help me Britmodeller community you're my only hope!

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

How about a 3 tone geometric splinter scheme similar to Tirpitz?

It'd test me, and be striking, the plan is she'll sit with taiho on a shelf so the contrast would be good, do you think it likely that the camo would extend into the bays or they would just be a uniform colour?

Given that it's a bit what-iffery anyway I reckon you can decide that. Also, there's a lot of shadow there. Here's a British example of HMS Indomitable with a camouflage demarcation cutting across such a feature. You tell me what you see inside in reality :)

resized_e432cac4-8cfd-429f-8d31-84f8c14a

e7aa16e3-60fb-40f8-9f4b-b4dd7094c372.png

15 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Given that it's a bit what-iffery anyway I reckon you can decide that. Also, there's a lot of shadow there. Here's a British example of HMS Indomitable with a camouflage demarcation cutting across such a feature. You tell me what you see inside in reality :)

e7aa16e3-60fb-40f8-9f4b-b4dd7094c372.png

That's a very good point, hmmmm, see you're giving me ideas now, which which be fair I did ask for lol

Do you know if tirpitz used a white and black or light/dark grey for the pattern?

I've your recommended ones for bismarcks boot topping and turret tops, but don't have a white, that said I might just send you a large order to get everything i need in for future builds of hood repulse and ark royal, if they're kept un opened do you have a recommended shelf life?

5 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

maybe even a speckle type like Scharnhorst in the channel dash - my only concern is i don't really want to hide the crazy yet elegent lines of the hull

I recently purchased the scharnhorst anatomy book (thank you black Friday), excellent book, but I find even the drawings of her in this scheme make it hard to discern details. It would look quite cool (though too difficult for me to do it well). I like the idea of a 3 tone splinter as well.

So, zebra pattern? It can then be a gift to Mrs S Boat.

David

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I recently purchased the scharnhorst anatomy book (thank you black Friday), excellent book, but I find even the drawings of her in this scheme make it hard to discern details. It would look quite cool (though too difficult for me to do it well). I like the idea of a 3 tone splinter as well.

So, zebra pattern? It can then be a gift to Mrs S Boat.

David

That's my concern, I don't want to loose the look but then almost juxtaposed to that is that she is rather slab sided and a single colour may not look right,  turns out German ladies are awkward, 

Sam

I'd say that 3 tone Tirpitz-like camouflage would look pretty-cool. This is technically a what-if build, as the she wasn't fully completed. But I'll leave the final decisions up to you S-Boat; what ever you pick will look amazing😁

Edited by jacobs_models
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jacobs_models said:

I'd say that 3 tone Tirpitz-like camouflage would look pretty-cool. This is technically a what-if build, as the she wasn't fully completed. But I'll leave the final decisions up to you S-Boat; what ever you pick will look amazing😁

I'm not sure your confidence is well placed in me but i'll take the compliment, 

Whilst looking at pictures of the splinter camo Tirpitz wore in 1944 in the book on her class by Koop & Schmolke I found a diagram of the final scheme she wore, wondering about maybe this for Graf Zeppelin;

y4mJMc43e85q4hs6w6dXZ7JCNmRQiWh-xqAWcwY1

I'd likely split the colour on the Hull at some point or maybe take it to the flight deck depending on how oppressive it was. Which brings me onto mu question - The book I mentioned has a diagram but no key as to what colours they even roughly were, any one any idea what colours these would have been?

Thanks

Sam

p.s. Taiho is now moving along but at a snails pace, the platforms are taking forever (circa 1hr each and there are 25 of varying sizes - not actually got to the big ones yet) and are patience testing, starting to find one or two oddities about how the pe has been designed, when i have enough to notice a difference in a photo I'll post one, 

Edited by S-boat 55

I am not expert enough to say really, but it's possible these were the Baltic scheme colours of Dunkelgrau (RAL 7037) on the hull (or perhaps something mixed darker still) and Mittelgrau (mixed from RAL 7001 i.e. Hellgrau 50 and RAL 7036).

4 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I am not expert enough to say really, but it's possible these were the Baltic scheme colours of Dunkelgrau (RAL 7037) on the hull (or perhaps something mixed darker still) and Mittelgrau (mixed from RAL 7001 i.e. Hellgrau 50 and RAL 7036).

Jamie I honestly don't know how you retain all this info, thanks for the info, 

3 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Jamie I honestly don't know how you retain all this info, thanks for the info, 

Mostly by forgetting birthdays, anniversaries, what days the office is closed for New Year, that sort of thing :D

• Haha 7

Now i share this assuming your agreement to not laugh....., I took a bit of tracing paper to try and get an idea of how the simple Tirpitz scheme would look on her and behold my finest graphic design,

1)

y4mweA3OZEoaZaZm8H-RbSQrJrpWFoj6RtSryCs7

2)

y4mjF5ViCDjbJKq3-KdjFE6RdgGsi-jyehBFbMjw

I might knock one up with the splinter camo on it just for comparison but i have reservations, 

I lean towards one but I'm curious which others think?

Thanks

Sam

• Like 3