1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 6:50 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Hi All,

I'm in the closing stagesbon Taiho and having needed to paint some parts during assembly I mixed all of the paint, it's then taken me weeks and weeks to get to the point of doing the main spray and you guessed it the mixed paint in the tajiya mixing jar has started to cure in places, hoped it'd come back with a long mix as it needed thinning anyway, but no joys, loads of bits of 'film' in it that just clog the airbrush, 

Any idea what I could use to strain it? I've heard people suggest coffee filters but no idea of that's a legitimate idea or not. Can't get more paint as it's out of stock, 

Help!!!!!!! 

Sam

It is probably way too late to be of help for this instance, but I use Tamiya panel liners to stain the deck, the dark brown and black one to be precise for that dirty look. Otherwise the normal brown and grey can also provide interesting effects.

If you want a cleaner but still dark look I would suggest tea a dark tea as coffee filters could leave residue grains behind, due to which i ind the use of it a questionable idea.

Maybe it ll help in the future if you run out of oils again. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Thanks for bearing with me, made some good progress on Taiho (photo dump below). Graf Zeppelin will be back, i pulled her out the cupboard the other day and after an hour and half of masking that camo i realised she's going to be a little while as i just lack the drive to sit and mask for hours at a time so Zeppelin will run alongside me working on Graf Spee when Taiho is done. 

This is the initial air group I'll going to go with for now and I'll add more over time, it should hide the bleed on the deck fairly well, (still annoyed by that), layout look okay?

y4m7Nu5czNLpvGt2aVufnURrCRC2LBNrXMCrl_Ur

y4mJh-U8JsdyRdfe5jevw1yLLr6FMBYmKkRGHXQ8

Bit of paint on the underside, much left to do on them

Sorry nerding out a little with this one, just really like when you can see through elements of a model

y4mIZhJJzY3i1WRNASVKxKk68ctq2vfIzGZ4vXGr

Boats are 95% done, just two to redo the interior on as they hand to the sides and a don't look right to me, this is one i'm happy with, (i've since sorted the mast out on it)

y4mLC39H8dL-urXg5FBdvLTA-mAE0yFqF-eNhek0

few bits left to put on, 

y4mEQVC56q2PAtArCvBd9jpv3Ibkzt0RHO2X0KOb

Including, wiggling the ships boats into here, 

y4mAY-1MWbXof2-n4OsJj3coM1VE3ziLt_2zu_2o

You mar recall this marking has been causing problems, this was the start of the third and last attempt if not it was getting removed, greyed and then the decal used, 

y4mWZyFeMvVAhQ5GVchexaP5g-1uFx6M1Eme8jq0

Please to say it did come out okay though, 

y4mEcM0jxLfbWBMbyH_8mhp5maWWvDS7SO-Pt5dd

The guy wires were remarkably easy to do, always the way isnt it that the things you think will be awful are easy and then vice versa lol

y4mtO45FxT1kSxdneHurLaUHua5Mac9a1uP80zgV

Boats went in which some gentle persuasion, each going in on its side and then having to be flipped the right way up by tweezers from both sides... got there in the end, 

y4mDNApM5g3e3mledkopSCD9CS2N8b7IWtri36X7

y4mAhBwKtCzqpGEWt0G4PQ4eVIteApYkn0Naif46

y4mHP4I8SQQ0YxYsQ04CI3RqCDizdXMG16oskDpC

y4mkmRqOum8DijaSX7NG3MsutMYUebBipdR-6ocX

y4mjZkzhjEB68eQsk5tty1CSud0D8O_OMp6V7Fut

And with that she is essentially 95% done, there's two tiny bits of railing i have missed off but they are under the stern overhang and so i may not be able to add them now and really wont notice. Touch up is a problem as i have just a congealed gritty mess left, so i'll see if i can resurrect a tiny bit for it, if not I'm not really sure what best to do. 

I'm toying with the idea of a slight satin sheen being added, i know us lot often strive for a dead matt finish but a slight satin shows up all the raised details and curves etc without the need for a wash (which i would not be doing at this stage). What are people thoughts, part of me really doesn't want to risk getting brush marks all over her etc?

Aside that there is just paint touch up and rigging to go on her plus the planes. I'll be displaying her along with Dunkerque and a couple of small bits at Gloucester's IPMS show a week Sunday (21st May) so should be able to do most of that over the next week, 

Thanks for stopping in, 

Sam

• Like 16

Great little details all over this build like the ships boats and all the anti aircraft weapons.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

*long moan* Beautiful! May I join you in nerding out over that island picture? That type 13 radar and yardarms are incredible!

That deck and those boats are looking neat and tidy, and that wind breaker net looks lovely, sitting proud up front.

Re; satin varnish. Have you maybe thought about getting some spray cans if you don't want to risk brush marks?

Can't wait to see this rigged up!

James.

• 3 weeks later...

Not technically an update but i wanted to share a pic or two of my small display at the Gloucester IPMS show a fortnight back.....its taken that long to get around to it! I took Taiho along with Dunkerque, Dreadnought and my Type XII, 

Taiho had quite a few interested observers and I must say there is something very satisfying about seeing people look at something you have built and smile in approval, 

Unfortunately I didn't have time to rig her or finish the decals for the planes completed so far, painting photo etch canopies takes a while evidently!

y4m6C51ZzH_c1zlSmfUgMCYmaXo2tekz_oC9V27S

y4mfn0Tvvy0lrz0fkKimbCdIQtnUPo6shFIgYtB6

y4mcMbsRqvfQeGBKrck-NB49oowidwkmXW0NJpMj

y4msCHLJRCn3KOBt3_xbf-w7ZjK7zieRsEQMZmv1

y4mKoLkFxGd78xGxlnNPiSTkQth1TAph2g6QX-UD

Curious as to which lay out of planes people think works best, i cant decide, 

Think I'll do 10 zero's to go on her, rig her and call it done, save the other planes for another carrier at some point, (hopefully Kaga)

Thanks for looking,

Sam, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 15

To quote Heath Ledger;

"And here we go" - starting the rigging, why i dont know - you can  barely see it, 

Thought ahead for a change and got these in place pre nets - though did then forget and come up with another way of doing it only to rediscover id already put these on (i wonder about myself at times!)

y4mRa_N2vEXAZ6UPl2EOkZImt90H3ml3hL4oxqDX

Using Uschi 0.3mm thread

y4mm1RzpC9dcplLIkbnn5AdY4x1Nnoh0V5rEpksd

y4mjWKOWyIbQAziJEkEHHiQ89RVe7nOnh3mNWr9Q

y4mq4GPMES7j9coBTU9EytjQN0ri-jG-nG98Hkpd

2 hours to do 5 lines......

Also it would appear i some how missed a bit when painting - i shall have to get the brush out

y4mQueEoXMhTcZasmkI-PZUvQUaVyXDl6Q7pY_ET

Thanks for stopping by, 

Sam

• Like 14

Ugh rigging. I get tremors in my hands just by someone mentioning it!

Even 5 lines in its already looking better and more "complete" Sam, at 2 hours for that you're easily faster than me!!

James.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jagdtiger1 said:

Ugh rigging. I get tremors in my hands just by someone mentioning it!

Even 5 lines in its already looking better and more "complete" Sam, at 2 hours for that you're easily faster than me!!

James.

Rigging is, for me, a necessary evil.

Same as railings, a ship just doesn’t look ‘dressed’ without them.

It’s the little things............

Jon

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

Rigging is, for me, a necessary evil.

Same as railings, a ship just doesn’t look ‘dressed’ without them.

It’s the little things............

I have to agree with you Jon, just a tad more difficult at 1/700.

Back to the build, lovely bit of rigging.

Stuart

• Like 2

Hi All

In the process of rigging her I've knocked one of the nets again, this time rear starboard, its gonna take a lot of very very gentle caressing to rectify it, ive already had to repair the port side once, - lesson learned = pay attention to both ends when moving the wee blighter.

However thought I'd share where I'm at with the rigging, been focussing on the island and forward starboard area, 

y4mIhZfpGyspeW3rb_FmPuP9d3465n8HYgSgIsFl

y4mBxsNsfJPt9AA8GVuk46ikkmP1TRXOsMUMTsMG

y4mS5Yqbxlni8jaQ8lj5jBWclR-PWmvwhVQ5eiph

y4m5zmtACbuApKt1Lj4L6Na-cVPKx5Xq6fS_sXsS

y4mJi2mXJ5zSInqAcypEy5puV7WSPTey-DwcUGKz

To do this lot has taken 8 hours or so, over all the rigging is at about 12 hours so far with a little bit left to do, not much left not though,

thanks for stopping by

Sam

• Like 17

6 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I've knocked one of the nets again, this time rear starboar

You have so many fragile things sticking out all around that any movement must be perilous. Dusting it in years to come will be very entertaining. 😉

The overall effect of the tiny parts is to make the ship look massive. The detail suggests the size. It's all very impressive to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I'll confess that they were very sweary spiders lol

Sweary or not they deserve a lot of praise and a good rest after all that amazing thread work.  :thumbsup:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1