1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin

Hi All, 

Progress of late has been slow and what there has been hasnt been particularly noticeable, but the top hats for the stand are in - the epoxy tricked me, i looked then looked twenty minutes and thought it was still wet - actually rock hard - never had any set clear before, 

y4mKBpgJCYVS74d1zdx3dfUqjT27up9uQshHiRIn

That meant the hangar decks could finally be put in, I wasn't happy with the detail i added for the lift/well walls so I've taken that off and added in something else. Also been trying out markings for the hangar floor, keeping it simple as I cant be faffed with more masking. It occurred to me that you cant  see more than about an inch and half each way so why i masked it all off who knows, just need to do something similar for the forward section, 

y4m-Fdv7rfxvrRvIJ3Kl_zcgQfKZP8vtkhwbcHQ3

Also been working on the rear and forward flight deck etch/supports, hopefully share that later but off to go and see some film about a wizard and a beastie. 

cheerio

Sam

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all, 

So got a bit done on the front flight deck supports, these are the gang ways that would carry the catapult trays back into the upper hangar for re-use, innovative but bonkers, the eduard etch so far has been very easy to use, 

y4mnpQO-AKHeJa6PHdAtcSnWFv_LzOUa_P7qZ7kp

However they say nothing about what to do when you hit this issue below, the two gangways foul on the support structure on the foremost part of the flight deck, I don't think the infi set has this issue but that was out of my budget so survey was required,

y4mY1AZY3XjSQHJqV07svP_JDQ9QT5OklbggmQyL

For those of you who read this and will one day be building your own with the eduard set - (hint .. get it now as its discontinued) - then this is the adjustment needed, the yellow highlight parts were shortened as the new support structure is thicker than the kits and a different profile, without cutting them back then they would bent all out of shape. The Red part then had to be removed to allow for the gangways which leaves you with a central post to be fitted back later and makes space for the catapult shenanigans, apologies i didn't take a before shot of the part, 

y4m8VIgopUUDY3XN41AbDaZl4qQL5isPHEU-U3ly

This is the outcome, - ive not idea why the field of focus on my phone camera is so 'little' or however you describe it, things that are 3 cm's back are blurry for some reason, 

y4m6Arp0SQG6TWGW5ib3a3kJ_-WnusDeXZXxvy7i

Nearly finished and ready to be primed,  

y4mIIu_tSGtTMUtq37PMuG1ZmNYtBUOuPopOOOxu

Thanks for stopping in, 

Sam

• Like 8

That is a work of art, well done. Your PE skills are outstanding. 

I also have found PE doesn’t always fit, but never an insurmountable problem.

Jon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

That is a work of art, well done. Your PE skills are outstanding. 

I also have found PE doesn’t always fit, but never an insurmountable problem.

Jon

33 minutes ago, Martian said:

Gorgeous brass work that Earthling!

Impressed of Mars 👽

Thanks both 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Hangar deck markings done, pretty basic but happy with them

As the saying goes, ‘keep it simple’.

Looks good, how much is visible once the deck is on ?

Jon

4 minutes ago, Faraway said:

As the saying goes, ‘keep it simple’.

Looks good, how much is visible once the deck is on ?

Jon

Not a massive amount truth be told, about an inch and half each way unless you look at a very oblique angle so i've painted about twice as much as needed really, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-boat 55 said:

Not a massive amount truth be told, about an inch and half each way unless you look at a very oblique angle so i've painted about twice as much as needed really, 

We are a strange bunch, we spend hours creating detail, that will disappear. I can’t remember how many aircraft models I’ve built and spent hours detailing the cockpit, only for it to disappear when the canopy went on. 
Jon

• Like 2

you lot are to blame for this.....And So It Begins - 

y4m11YCPo_-O78N21Vus_SKDK1tQPkRNxuZu1jKE

y4mHDil738vdtis-2sxJ63uobyULTerOc4dGoJsl

y4mquOQmPbHWbl8rb9Tf4CL_O_1aiEhDW5D7T5V7

y4muA9LceWQ1NZgORRJpMbs60qQ4_BkJ2UwcunsC

Hefyt bit of bleed in places but theres darker shades next to each so thats fixable and a learning curve and overall i think its going to look pretty good when done. Had to do each end to allow for sequencing, wont be much more painting for a little while now essentially to allow for getting the main deck on and as much ready to paint as possible, hopefully get to do a bit tonight and take some better shots. You'll notice Taiho has her anti-fouling on in the background as well, 

thanks

Sam

• Like 6

On 09/05/2022 at 12:58, S-boat 55 said:

you lot are to blame for this....

I don’t mind being blamed for such an excellent result.

Jon

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

I don’t mind being blamed for such an excellent result.

Jon

Thanks Jon, have you heard about rhe show over our neck of the woods?

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Sam, she's going to look very striking when done. Regards, Jeff.

Hopefully.......Hopefully 

Hi All,

Got a the first couple of parts of the wooden deck stuck on, as per suggestions elsewhere I glossed the deck so hopefully they'll stay stuck, 

y4mEzHDhPTm7i8lQeRU3zVhJvXr36I9fOHww3hQ1

y4mYMBDymvZSAB6GsOlXfXnvhhthHPgpnpzECXNc

Painting the walkway floor between the railings was surprisingly without drama. 

Those being in place meant the flat top could have its flat top finally fitted and stuck in place (Supterstructure is just sat in place), you can see the next shade of blue adjacent the white on the bow, tried brush painting that on but will finish it off with the airbrush I think, cant quite work out colourcoats by brush yet, 

y4m0SrQhhLNqJ7utQRGKMGOoMPstgG1_o0NWcSlD

y4mmntPKN8vY9Dku2ZTjktiwtGR-DdDBEWpqFvX5

Hit a snag, not sure how to fix it yet. I can confirm that the slight warp on the flight deck mentioned in some reviews is real and as a result the locating pins for the deck supports are out, they were going to end up sitting at a 15 degree angle they were that off. I trimmed the lcoating pins off but slightly too short (see below), i could try sticking the to the deck but i think that would risk it getting pulled up and likely wouldn't stick anyway. Current thought is a bit of square 0.5mm card, painted and put underneath the upright as it the column is meeting a square mount. Theres a trim to go on the front of the flight deck edge as well which Ive yet to add. 

y4mtilKHEsYT7icsROo-g1KaOfyyn_4Bauhg7JFH

Were I to do it again I'd put some kind of door or opening where the gangways meet the foreward bulkhead. 

y4m90DfHO0oTCAK69NbXj8ykbsYGby3lzUjVWPFv

Close ups are never kind, bit of etch repair needed but nothing major, 

y4meK5_BtGvFVnys89FIYE9p3Wvcw-RZ05WEKQax

y4mETnij9xAbzg1IGFZcOsDt5uxIFn1rMVNU_8wI

Every ship has that angle that becomes a favourite, I think this one above is oddly Graf Zeppelins, captures the long lines of her and the bonkers funnel.

The real thing was the result of several fact finding missions carried out by German authorities, the two ships they primarily looked at were none other than HMS Furious and the Japanese ship Akagi. You can see the fight deck set back as per the bow of Furious and the extensive use of side bays for stowage as well as the heavy armament sitting at the same level for defence against cruisers. Granted the bow is highlighted by the added 'clipper bow' as she originally had a straight stem akin to many German WW1 ships.  Just like Akagi though there is a healthy overhang at the stern and of course the use of casemates for the guns as mentioned. Seeing the guns on both of the ships they visited must have pushed them towards needing them and i guess they were not alone in that at the time.

It seems a little crazy to think they were intended to be able to fight off a cruiser or two but that's hindsight for you. Saying that they didn't just give them the guns, in a lot of ways Zeppelin and her sister would have had a more comprehensive armour scheme than that fitted to the hipper class cruisers. There is also a hint of the Lexingtons about her with the long superstructure and oversized funnel, 

Anyway Taiho needs some love so while i work out the supports issue I'll get her going again, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Everything is looking very  'ship-shape :yes:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart 

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

That is looking stunning, excellent paint job and those railings !!!

I wish I could mine so neat.

Jon

Thanks Jon, 

• Like 1