1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin

On 9/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, S-boat 55 said:

There is this picture on Scalemates that are supposedly GZ but to me I'm not convinced, the step/angle in the bow is gone, the tip of the bow is different as is the rake, as are the missing casemates (which is possible) but the bulge comes a lot further forward and the superstructure is stepped out to one side which would be massive work to undertake during the brief times she was actually worked on post 1940, I wondered if these are perhaps pictures of Weser but I don't think she got that far in construction?

y4mLdTzV1xihNnrs3Tt-gisG5dbf5cceX_A3yUYf

Jumping into the fray a bit late, the second photo on SM is of the Italian Carrier Aquila (Eagle), herself never completed and derived from the Liner Roma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robertone139 said:

Jumping into the fray a bit late, the second photo on SM is of the Italian Carrier Aquila (Eagle), herself never completed and derived from the Liner Roma.

She'd be an interesting subject to do as well! 

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm in the closing stagesbon Taiho and having needed to paint some parts during assembly I mixed all of the paint, it's then taken me weeks and weeks to get to the point of doing the main spray and you guessed it the mixed paint in the tajiya mixing jar has started to cure in places, hoped it'd come back with a long mix as it needed thinning anyway, but no joys, loads of bits of 'film' in it that just clog the airbrush, 

Any idea what I could use to strain it? I've heard people suggest coffee filters but no idea of that's a legitimate idea or not. Can't get more paint as it's out of stock, 

Help!!!!!!! 

Sam

One of the very last bits to go on pre painting, of course in the process of having a nightmare with paint and airbrush these have already had to be repaired once! why do i do this to myself, i love it though, 

y4mDNOYWPVIGPoA-23gpEbxaKnutWwcKhs_pbXtu

Also going to add these at the stern, from querying them on a facebook group the consensus were that they're day shapes? not sure on that, but as they're port and starboard is it safe to assume they're either red or green depending on side? in put from those in the know would be very gratefully received, 

y4m2aFmA761_N18JDkcuZgegbIQHtwxheiVKHRhc

This is how they are used in Tetras Kaga set - keep looking at that and its really, really tempting, contemplating selling some of the stash to fund it, 

y4mu2OhnFO30EkilXYbWZX-1qHRZ8SWU-d0qFu2z

Cheers, 

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 6

Great work, sorry to hear about your paint issues, I have been a car sprayer for 30 years, we strain paint all the time so I wondered if there was such a thing for model paint.....

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/green-stuff-world-tools-sculpting/83388-airbrush-cup-strainers-x2?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsCgBhDEARIsAE7RYh1TaA8daG3u9G9ixp47X5NNhWAD4OaI60pRl6a98nTcS0jdVfs9-fIaAvyQEALw_wcB  

Maybe you could try these or something similar hth good luck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Btw I'm sure you've mentioned it in your thread but what paint are you using? I've generally found when it starts to go off it can be quite difficult to get back....

Hi Rich, 

I'm using Colourcoats from Sovereign hobbies, Jamie from there kindly replied to a query I put in the paints section here a d made the same recommendation re straining it, I've got some to try in readiness for hopefully airbrushing on Thursday....fingers crossed, 

• Like 1

Hi All, 

Not a lot to say but wanted to share some photo's of the project, 

Paint issue sorted - thanks to @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies for the suggestion, @Rich75 the filters i got worked! .... just one or two bits in the paint as you can see, 

y4mqjyR5VZTylVXKpUYbOBpdzj-ZmX9G7iRVlHJu

With that sorted the main paint job could be carried out, this is where she is at now, 

y4mzNaHdI3M701SDfQ-XcaBhMNUiErzTYD0EoaCb

y4mif-MeG0lRiOu6E9MD7TWcBTc6oOZ1CfsCDoe9

y4m_Jgp04_wR67ZoUyb9OnxzRcqwAnfCZgzWxL2t

y4mLNAHe50cNXaPMBbwP3fEdWsFDQXN3weMXsSHH

Apologies the photo quality isn't great for the photo's, my phone doesn't like artificial light 

More masking for other deck markings to do then its adding lots of fiddly bits for the deck and all that fun stuff....nearly there on Taiho now though,  then there's just the small issue of Graf Zeppelin to sort, oh and 70 odd planes between them,

Thanks for stopping by

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi, I'm mortified to see that was my paint with crap in it! 

Don't be, it was my fault for mixing it up weeks before using it and leaving it in a jar twice as big as needed, it started to get a crust around the lid and a film on it, I then tried to thin it rather than just remove said film, so user error on my part, the type of filters you recommended worked a treat as well, 🙂

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Don't be, it was my fault for mixing it up weeks before using it and leaving it in a jar twice as big as needed, it started to get a crust around the lid and a film on it, I then tried to thin it rather than just remove said film, so user error on my part, the type of filters you recommended worked a treat as well, 🙂

Ahh ok. Maybe I should think about whether there's anything I can do about that for the future. Glad those filters worked though - we keep a stack of them as sometimes even the 20 litre drums we buy in have some crud on the bottom of them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Ahh ok. Maybe I should think about whether there's anything I can do about that for the future. Glad those filters worked though - we keep a stack of them as sometimes even the 20 litre drums we buy in have some crud on the bottom of them. 

What would be really useful to me as a consumer would be being able to source a few of the tinlets, I find when I mix up paints, if I've thinned them for use then there's too much to put back in the tin and Tamiyas mixing jars are either too big or too small and stuff seems to cure in them unlike when it's in a tinlet, don't know if others find the same, it might be just me, but I find paints last in the tins but not in the jars, 

Glad the filters worked, paintwork looks great

5 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

hen there's just the small issue of Graf Zeppelin to sort, oh and 70 odd planes between them,

Just the easy stuff left then! BTW you can get empty 14ml tinlets as well. I wonder if it would still go off in the tin after you'd thinned it though?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Glad the filters worked, paintwork looks great

Just the easy stuff left then! BTW you can get empty 14ml tinlets as well. I wonder if it would still go off in the tin after you'd thinned it though?

Thanks, 

Ive looked for the tinlets before but had no luck sourcing them, any ideas where they're available from?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Having spent weeks wrestling on and off dealing with parts of this size i finally completed the triple mount AA guns, I say complete but there were many a part that disappeared into the carpet monster and so some are missing bits and bobs but nothing major. Frustratingly VeryFire give you spare for some things but not others and it always seemed to be the parts that went on first time that had spares and the ones that were fiddly that didnt but hey ho, 

y4mTaDVh9eGwP6yb7d8_9zC5kKggTYuDY7-ew7Fx

Ths is the end result, ready for painting, 

y4mn8fVHv0sPyV7qEvTes3xCybgvAJ_Nrv_096JH

This meant I could get on to finishing the deck markings and painting up said AA guns, airbrushing (which I'm still new to), was a mixed bag, managed to overlaod this area and so that needs sorting out, pain of it is i destroyed the pre made mask in the process of taking it off, I'll see what i can work out I guess, 

y4mVi7QrGLOw1JiKTZWZyl6DGGKTaNTjE_hNSMUR

Alos got a bit of bleed on the deck, don't know why but ti was almost like the flow was pulsing so i'd get a splurge of paint out of no where, not much i can do about the deck, it isn't too noticeable unless you're staring at it and it will have a bunch of planes and wires etc to busy it up and distract the eye, it is frustrating though, 

y4m1wYaO58aEfDmF2x9s_nYoau7HyAOlgrrkmfpf

This is where she is at though, just got to blacken the barrels on the triple mounts, then they and all the deck furniture can go on to 'dress' the ship, 

y4mapqD7ehghVwDvrd-ShTCN2v6hmgC65r7ntTT9

y4mW-x-1LEXXEvZfV3kFeD5FYOInyS0YBIoyMnJf

y4mPRcxnT08OxmeJ-62JNb3P3qVCCOxwCQUYRGlQ

Getting close on her now, want to get her done for Gloucester's show in May in hopes i can display her, 

Thanks for stopping in

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 12