1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin

If interested AJ Press of Poland ( now gone sadly ) did a book on the Carrier 

GZ ( I have it ) with world class diagrams and artwork . 

If you need a photo of any PM me , and I can post them via email or post them here .

I also have a few WW2 original wartime photos of her at Gotenhafen and Stettin , including her under camo nets in the river later in 1943/44 moored further away from Stettin up river .

best one is the one taken of her under completion in 1940 in the shipyard 

with one taken on her deck ( I was only bidder ) next to the Funnel and the 2 masts .

4 hours ago, 73north said:

If interested AJ Press of Poland ( now gone sadly ) did a book on the Carrier 

GZ ( I have it ) with world class diagrams and artwork . 

If you need a photo of any PM me , and I can post them via email or post them here .

I also have a few WW2 original wartime photos of her at Gotenhafen and Stettin , including her under camo nets in the river later in 1943/44 moored further away from Stettin up river .

best one is the one taken of her under completion in 1940 in the shipyard 

with one taken on her deck ( I was only bidder ) next to the Funnel and the 2 masts .

Hi,

thanks for the offer, it's going to be slow going but I'll likely drop you a line at some point

Sam

• Like 1

So exciting news, well exciting for me - I feel like I'm five again!  the other ship has nearly reached port and is expected tomorrow/saturday, its this..;

y4mEuCwIYTbnvJGSiQyplDsaMacP5p8qyh3xen0p

When it arrives I shall take many sprue shots for you all, 

Now this is balanced by the fact that work has suddenly gone unbelievably busy which is why this build and Dunkerque being finished off has gone a little quiet, but I've decided that I'll definitely be working on both as a pair for a while at least. So question - is a joint thread okay or would separate ones be better? 

Thanks

Sam

• Like 2

• S-boat 55 changed the title to 1/350 Carriers Taiho and Graf Zeppelin
14 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

So question - is a joint thread okay or would separate ones be better?

A joint one would be fine for me. :thumbsup: And that looks to be an interesting ship, I will have to have a look for this.

Jon

• Like 1

Okay, so here are many sprue shots, I've promised myself to not photo everything and slowly bore you all to death, I'll put a link to more the photos on one drive for a while at the bottom. I'll leave the images at their original size so they may zoom in better... i think...i dont know how these things work, 

Apologies, these are taken on my phone so aren't great but its the best I have access to at present, 

The hull comes in pretty standard form but well fixed onto its own cardboard leaf, how they fix it in i dont know, i had to destroy the carboard to get it out lol

y4mIeCRlyIwPv57Var5B_Mq8spGtarO0UZOj2huB

I personally think the detail on the hull is amazing, there are one or two areas where the hull platting varies in depth 'mid run' but aside that its very very good, and includes the grills on the bottom of the hull. 

y4mCnanvV_mpl7jEP5UEI_2N7Squ54nrIjUJlq3A

y4mIVRG48wKVZK0jmDNZH-WQt7La9Zs5qI1sJC2I

y4mx7gmCiyKAC3u3RRvAvxj1ME2pgClVhwc7nfZx

I was thinking of infilling certain runs so that they sit slightly prouder than their neighbours by layering up a bit of primer or paint. I'll confess i dont know what the semi circle of dots is? any ideas?

As you move into the parts they are equally detailed;

y4ma0seFpM8zjgOAzCOABbFUtIhVX0asWv4_3UUj

y4mQW6CkHxdntu-evkVGFV_lBMhJvm2IlCiBPdE2

Very fire arent the first to do high detail stuff but it is to my eyes very cleanly/crisply moulded

y4mMYTgsNLFRmqTzI0CK13VWTbdvDDNtzoKVvzzE

y4mwweYLwVHWtd_5NbUNUHhUWGhwkK8TKfnFlw8c

Its not perfect of course, there are some ejector marks in places and odd bits to fill but im not to worried on those as they are so minor, and a lot of this detail has to come off anyway but more on that later, 

y4mVIvFTT_VH1bG4fcndp289oNGVNrlKETNI6O7y

Oddly they've gone to the trouble of moulding on detail underneath the lifts and at the base of the wells, not sure why as it just wont be seen irrespective of where you position the lift, 

y4mD4SGEJ60SAOaHzpHup8DriRzCq6nR7a33YBU5

This will sound ridiculous but my favourite part is the rudder, rivets for rivet counters, 

y4mH_MSE3nooKETeYzv2KtUojCxx5H5qTcGoU8xt

y4mwljmUeHXv3qmICuQiEXXbGTPab99rWY525wIN

Boats are pretty good, 

So there must be a reason for it but they give you four copies of sprue J, i guess at least i'll have spare props, 

y4mcXoM4FXzbHRY08V1PveqyjID9Lw2n0k2HOGwZ

I did find a couple of awkwardly positions seams but they are very very minor, 

y4mUZi4Ahxu6RdAlpY9xXXX8RUL7xDIl-h2o7y5K

Some parts are tiny for plastic! i'll have to endeavour not to melt the blighters when fixing them in place, 

y4msroMJc2S02ZmsuZjF8_tFtNQQs_wGxBJc5j0S

The planes (of which there are only 8 unfortunately) are actually models in their own right, its often said but these are certainly, better than the trumpeter planes ive seen,

y4mOg3Gk3SxcKP1KJQ_2E5t2aNDwJ2jbkp8ijPeM

y4mBTasJe1rcybztFKTlzBsWqJ4Zt2ec5iaP4Ltm

The aa guns are very thin for plastic again, im not certain that aftermarket stuff will really improve them, certainly when it comes to the barrels, 

y4mZe-KDII90PbBizn5O3dL6RiQIiDuAnVJxPPm3

They do include pieces to replicate the steel beams supporting the ends of the flight deck, they've done them like this for a reason, they're fine if plain and oversized, 

y4mN1iozRr4AmcPfV33arIv8Acd1l_dimMbj5hDi

The flight deck is in 2 parts which planking detail, theres been argument over whether she had a latex of planked deck. Photo's that have surfaced of a pilot standinf with his plane on board clearly show planking. The model is set for the battle fo the phillipie sea, during which she was sunk. From the little i have read her deck was painted black/darkened just before the campaign so that'll be interesting to ponder when it comes to paint. At present im thinking do it as 'wood' then overcoat it to darken it but we'll see. 

y4mtUsg7Ukf50kXtnNFEe1Bxtf93biJGQaHvCPb0

The join is in line with one of the arrestor wires so shouldnt be too noticeable with a bit of 'gentle' work. 

y4mJLBaJPxg-5dRYKJEKzlCmJsDQNPLDQWktVAKq

Now i got so excited for this that I spent a bit more for the dx version, - now we do not discuss this with the wife! Its a chunk more but includes brass barrels, masts, a several sheets of photo etch for nets, navigation lights etc and several resin parts for search lights etc, 

y4mwoM_hQnPcL5y1C1jXJxUmQy-gwX45ARczLnhn

y4mylTPPyPTrHEKn2n2mm0xTlS2JTmirTsybXILI

y4myD8dCIP5bw4pKAvQ7V_QZbNC6ae6ivJ5Bqial

y4m-2vhfY_8g5-sqltMvkp9sxX_DdrHw-mIt2aay

y4mRNeej02GYsHPmpqRywcvLENdh7ZX3bCF6Y7TL

It includes things like individual ladder loops witha  drilling guide - im not confident on this one, but I'll give it a go, 

y4mU0zzpWsEQdmhZ6vC1SEYf7fz30mrW8Kkw0W_w

y4mQKVUV6bgwIrOiQ3DmrFiKcH5LiGOuk9_l0bVh

You'll notice a lot of perforated beams for the deck support and under the lifts etc, as some of it just wont be visible, im hoping to rehome some of it to graf zeppelin to raise her level a bit. 

Whether i'll get anywhere near this standard i dont know, but one can but try, 

y4mI9iedatHcpA0YhvV9VV-JNpbLSbeZDcayWUoI

The DX kit comes with the main photo etch as part A, there is also part B which is the arrestor wires and a wooden deck for her but its £91, which for a deck and very little etch seems too high to me, i may wait and see if ti drops (significantly) whilst i build slowly but i doubt it will for a while. There is also a part C which is extra aircraft and the associate photo etch, that again is £90 odd. It does have 45 aircraft complete with photoetch canopies and resin cockpits, yes resin cockpits! I've not invested, it looks very good in the photo's from veryfire but its a lot of money and to you'd have to be completely sure of getting a good result from that kind of investment. Very very impressive though. 

So there are a few shots of the kit, there are more on the link below which i'll leave open for a while,

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Arco4SQ9xxLFoRnzrqSwF0TJViGt

Thanks

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2

And here we go...... made a start on Taiho, 

Rather forntuatly from the modellers point of view there is very little info out there on her as a ship. The Japanese were very successful in keeping all details secret, as a result i think there are only a few photos - so far I have found 3, and none of her construction. She was supposed to be a new type of armoured carrier, not susceptible to anything other than several bomb and torpedo hits, taking major damage before being put out of action. The reality was far from it, she had design flaws exacerbated by inexperienced crews and was sunk during the Philippines campaign by a single torpedo from an American submarine in 1944 little more than weeks after being commissioned.

y4mQQDPU2rDg9o1rxK6FFBOmIw27Men8FB-G_IB0

Im pleased to report that the fit of the two hull halves was akin to a glove and hand as they say, the locating pins held them together and it was just a bit of tamiya thin and slight pressure to fix them proper like. 

y4mgH5-R30m5uLZQVxj8osIF305s-ktOziftF1iR

Thanks for stopping by, 

Sam

• Like 5

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

I'll confess i dont know what the semi circle of dots is? any ideas?

I had the same question on a Japanese Destroyer and @Adm Lord De Univers supplied the answer.

It is a type 93 Hydrophone.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention, what is a very impressive collection of plastic. VeryFire do seem quite good at doing detailed moulding. For a brief time, before I sold it after realising it was too small for me to make, I had a 1/700 kit by them. The detail on that was stunning. Looking forward to this build.

I also forgot to ask, where did you get it ?

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

You will find a detailed history of her here

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Taiho.htm

The now defunct AJ Press did a two volume set of books with many drawings and pieces of artwork, some drawn from original ships plans. If you intend adding a lower hangar as you are doing with GZ watch out for the armour layout on the lower hangar floor. Drawings seem to show part of it with a slope over the boiler uptakes that I am still trying to fully understand. It makes no sense in terms of parking aircraft down there.

You will also find some photos, deck plans and cross sections (including one with that awkward hangar floor) here

https://www.armouredcarriers.com/japanese-aircraft-carrier-taiho-armoured-flight-decks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I forgot to mention, what is a very impressive collection of plastic. VeryFire do seem quite good at doing detailed moulding. For a brief time, before I sold it after realising it was too small for me to make, I had a 1/700 kit by them. The detail on that was stunning. Looking forward to this build.

I also forgot to ask, where did you get it ?

Jon

Antics online, they're based over our neck of the woods, they were great, kept me up to date, replied to emails prompt and dispatch next next day delivery 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EwenS said:

You will find a detailed history of her here

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Taiho.htm

The now defunct AJ Press did a two volume set of books with many drawings and pieces of artwork, some drawn from original ships plans. If you intend adding a lower hangar as you are doing with GZ watch out for the armour layout on the lower hangar floor. Drawings seem to show part of it with a slope over the boiler uptakes that I am still trying to fully understand. It makes no sense in terms of parking aircraft down there.

You will also find some photos, deck plans and cross sections (including one with that awkward hangar floor) here

https://www.armouredcarriers.com/japanese-aircraft-carrier-taiho-armoured-flight-decks

Thanks Ewen, I'll have  a look at the sites, I'd seen a bit on the armoured carrier site but not the other, 

The kit comes with elevator Wells for both fore and aft but no hangar to join them, I'm going to see if you can see past the well enough to warrant any additions, 

Thanks for the sites

Sam 

49 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Antics online, they're based over our neck of the woods, they were great, kept me up to date, replied to emails prompt and dispatch next next day delivery 

I use the shop in Bristol often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

had the same question on a Japanese Destroyer and @Adm Lord De Univers supplied the answer.

It is a type 93 Hydrophone

Did I? Hopefully the right answer then! 😄 - a friend of mine filed one of those in (thinking a small mouse had been at the mould or something, I dunno).

There's a lot of bits here and that detail is stunning, I think this is going to be fun. Oh and that rudder is a thing of beauty.😍

David

• Like 2

Hi All, 

Apologies for a lack of update, I've mainly been making a plan of attack for graf zeppelin, taiho looks simple by comparison (I should not have said that). 

I've stumbled into a issue with the Zep though, the flight deck is warped, its not major but I think it'll have to go on earlier than I had hoped as I don't want to do lots of pulling it around once the hull is painted. So this has got me contemplating how to paint her. I've settled on an earlier period for her so I can utilise the bi planes. 

From the little I understand on the kriegsmarine schemes at the time they were broadly as Bismarcks, namely dunkelgrau 51 on the main hull and 50 on the uppers. I could do that on Zep, would it then be 51 to the flight deck then change to 50, or due to her height perhaps change from 51 to 50 halfway up? Could just be 51 all over....... I'm in a quandary, any thoughts would be very much welcomed, 

Thanks

Sam

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

I've mainly been making a plan of attack for graf zeppelin, taiho looks simple by comparison (I should not have said that). 

I wouldn't say you will be eating those words sooner rather than later but I'll lay the table for you: silver service if you like?

Mars' answer to Jeeves 👽

• Haha 3

I have had a realisation, Carriers require an awful lot of thought in planning out what and how to do it, i feel like Dorothy realising she isn't in Kansas anymore,

y4m1rxTxsP1Vj61h9XhDpWxgxK9MKiFI3AtYfOYd

Liking doing two together though, thinking as these are two axis carriers, maybe after this a pair of allied would be a good balance, (still one must not get ahead of ones self)

However i have drilled out the necessaries on Zep, treid some cheap drill bits, bent on the second hole, took 20 odd turns to get through, bought some proxxon 0.8mm bits - chalk and cheese, 3-4 turns per hole, little burring, lasted all 700 odd holes.

y4m-Xe4lVJBMcwzBpUqJ_EZqFIqnwBzhiKQpbiKP

y4mGR23ORiESIOsLhZqrzOYkKcpPW5Y6YCDKIwX1

Thanks for stopping in, 

Sam

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

If that was me, building two together. I’d be sure to get parts muddled and get German parts on Japanese and visa versa.

You have my admiration.

Jon

Well...at the moment the plastics are two different shades of grey, when primed or painted that's where the confusion may start ..... it'll be fine....at least that's what I'm telling myself 

• Like 2