Airfix 1/72 Mig-17F Fresco

Done as an experiment for myself in doing a NMF.

It came out reasonably.

Primed with Tamiya LP Black Gloss

Painted with Xtreme Metals Polished Aluminium

Alclad Duraluminium,Dark Aluminium, Airframe Aluminium.

Tamiya Nato Black, Rubber Black, Medium Sea Grey.

Finished with Aqua Gloss Varnish

I knew that metallics like this would be fragile but how much surprised me.

There were numerous touch ups and resprays due to them rubbing off even after coating with aqua gloss.

I have learned so much doing this though and thought I'd stick it up for viewing.

TZubCoA.jpg

Uu3su8r.jpg

GBl70KK.jpg

kPppUXz.jpg

Quf01w4.jpg

y2PYfQx.jpg

DjRS1ql.jpg

As always and comments, criticism and help gratefully received.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 34

13 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

You kept this one quiet! Perhaps you felt you had enough going on in the WIP pages?!

Very successful exercise in metal finishing I'd say. Nice result sir.

Q

This is the one that was going on in the background to give me something to do when other things are drying, gluing or I'm having to think about how I'm going to do a certain bit.

It's far from perfect but as a first attempt and a learning process it's done what I wanted.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

It looks very nice and there is no sign of your problems with the paint rubbing off.

I find that AK XM is a very robust NMF paint whereas Alclad will blow away in a gentle breeze so I wonder if it was the Alclads letting go in your case? I generally don't bother with a black base for my NMF but spray a coat of Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the aerosol as a base layer on top of a smooth primer, that way if there is any lifting it's a silver colour showing through.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Duncan B said:

It looks very nice and there is no sign of your problems with the paint rubbing off.

I find that AK XM is a very robust NMF paint whereas Alclad will blow away in a gentle breeze so I wonder if it was the Alclads letting go in your case? I generally don't bother with a black base for my NMF but spray a coat of Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the aerosol as a base layer on top of a smooth primer, that way if there is any lifting it's a silver colour showing through.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan,

It was mainly the AK that was rubbing off but I think it was because of the Tamiya lacquer gloss black underneath. It was so smooth that I think there was nothing for the AK to grip to and I've not had a problem with AK in smaller areas previously.

I'll give your method a try on my next attempt.

Was that what you did with your stunning Duck?

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

More than just a reasonable outcome - that's really nice work and a super metal finish! Well done

I agree. It looks great!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, opus999 said:

That is beautiful!  What did you think of the kit itself?  I love how that looks in such a reflective metal -- the more I see and use the AK extreme metals, the more impressed I am.  Great work!

Thanks very much 

The kits is very nice. Finding room for the necessary nose weight took some thought. The only issue I had with the plastic was that nose ring, which is 3/4 in shape required shimming to fit properly. Apart from that it kind of fell together

Cheers 

Alistair 

21 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Duncan,

It was mainly the AK that was rubbing off but I think it was because of the Tamiya lacquer gloss black underneath. It was so smooth that I think there was nothing for the AK to grip to and I've not had a problem with AK in smaller areas previously.

I'll give your method a try on my next attempt.

Was that what you did with your stunning Duck?

Cheers,

Alistair

I don't think I was using the Tamiya AS-12 underneath at the time I did the Duck but that was painted with AK XM paints. The first builds I used the AS-12 as a primer on were my Eduard Mustangs last year but I've been using it regularly since then.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1