Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR9A Starter Kit -

Bodmin

Thought I'd have a little fun building this starter set that I bought to allow me to at least build something in he small confines available to me at the moment.

Even better, I'm going to build it like I probably would have done had it have been 35 years ago, which means using the paints in the box. May as well as I'm brush painting anyway as I cannot use my airbrush atm as most my paints and stuff are boxed away.

Let's see how it turns out.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Well here's the starter for ten. You wouldn't think any problems, but oh no not in my world of modelling.

I'll have to share it with you because you couldn't make it up.

The forward fuselage shot out of the spring clamp and of all the directions it could have chosen to go, it chose the open window, only to rest in the gutter of my garage roof. Needless to say I recovered it.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Looks good so far.

Chris

Cheers Chris. God only knows what the neighbours were thing looking at me clammering about on the roof.

I've never found brush painting that bad. However, definitely going to have to give it an undercoat spray of something of other.

6 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Cheers Chris. God only knows what the neighbours were thing looking at me clammering about on the roof.

I've never found brush painting that bad. However, definitely going to have to give it an undercoat spray of something of other.

😄 you could always tell them you were carrying out flight tests on a Harrier.  I love brush painting myself and have never used an airbrush.  I find it most therapeutic.

Chris

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Solvent Parrot said:

Interested to see how one of these can turn out in an experienced pair of hands. 

Experienced???🤣🤣

You're looking at the wrong thread my friend. But I get your point about airbrushing. However, once you own one...cheap/expensive ..either way... you learn and get better like anything else. I've had mine years and I still muck up my models, but like a bicycle you have to get back on the saddle and crack on. 

• Like 1

Peppering along. Came to the decals that unfortunately became rather soft extremely quick and I messed a few up. Hoping to get some replacements. The box paints haven't worked out too bad though.

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

....hope you can get some replacement decals okay.

Cheers Chris, me too. I've put in a ticket to airfix to try and order some replacements. I'll need them because I buggered up the the entire port side tail fin and tail number decals. It may take a while to get them but I'll carry on as normal and stick them on at the end should I get them. I think the quality of them caught me out, I'm normally used to soaking them for ages to get them to move...these were floating around in my solution with by back turned after a few seconds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bodmin said:

More than welcome. Please excuse any inaccuracies; this one's oob.

No worries, I'm quite keen to see how this kit goes together.

Out of a fit of nostalgia I've rather foolishly bought Airfix's old tooling of the GR7 as I really like the green era Harriers. I was pondering about getting the newer kit and going down the aftermarket route for decals, however they do seem to be thin on the ground in 1/72.

Hopefully Airfix will rebox it with GR7 schemes someday.