Special Hobby Dornier Do-27A-1, Portuguese AF, 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

I went with straight Faded PRU Blue for this.  In my paint selection it was the closest I could come to the Basalt Grey they asked for.  

I think it will be surprisingly accurate next to the Yellow Olive.

51515748396_290d985cbc_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

The Yellow Olive looks good.  I also masked and sprayed the anti-glare panel, the rubber wheels, the prop.  I think I might be ready for decals folks!

51522940355_259fd1589d_c_d.jpg

Masks off!  Ha! I made an error and masked the top piece of glass upside down and then inserted it.  I have no idea why.  So, I have, this morning, removed the glass and it is sitting in some thinner to remove the paint without damaging the clarity (I hope)  I'll carefully put it back in later today.  Duh! 😝

51521220602_c8bf66e291_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

The paintwork's looking very nice John.  I'm a bit puzzled by the supposedly 'yellow' olive though- is that the correct name or something that Special Hobby have invented? 

I hope your canopy panel turns out OK :thumbsup2:

Cheers

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the supposedly 'yellow' olive though- is that the correct name or something that Special Hobby have invented? 

I'm not sure about the Yellow Olive either.  Seems to be dark green to my eyes.  And I am pretty sure I used Basalt Grey on the F-104 I built, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway...the Basalt Grey seems to be much darker grey (RAL 7012) than what I have chosen.  I may try to fix this.  The Yellow Olive is RAL 6014.

Window looks alright.  Wheels on...

Ok...I bit the bullet and just now airbrushed on some Dark Slate Grey (the Vallejo alternative for RAL 7012) over the PRU Blue.  No masks, folks...There are a couple of lines I'll have to fix with the hairy brush but nothing went onto the glass...easy peasy.

Compare and contrast...the one on the right is much more Luftwaffen-ish.

51522911787_493da90767_c_d.jpg

Much happier now!

Cheerio!

John

• Like 7

The spinner decal went on surprisingly easily.

51526371622_ed8cf3dc00_c_d.jpg

The door handle directionals...

51526371602_6335e0602d_c_d.jpg

There are other teeny decals and they are on too.  The roundels, emblems, flash, etc...all on now.

51528100425_a14a63f407_c_d.jpg

I am very happy I repainted it.  Almost done!

--John

• Like 7

I really must say that I have developed a very large soft spot in my heart for this aircraft and liaison aircraft in general.  They really are something else.

I am finished with this one.  I'll wait until tomorrow with better light for better images, but the final touches have been the assorted radio antennae, the satin varnish, the prop and the cabin doors.  The radio antennae are made from .005mm stainless steel cardiac/thoracic thread, courtesy of Small Parts in the USA. I bought a burn if this stuff about 18 years ago and have yet to run out.  very thin stuff and kind of dangerous.  It's very sharp when cut and can pierce skin easily.  I wear safety glasses just in case.

51532784265_7403f57bc9_c_d.jpg

51532581184_6316b1b6ba_c_d.jpg

Radio antennae...

51531858941_309b2a6aed_c_d.jpg

One of the 'ears'....there is another on the opposite side...you can see it peeking out.

51531858891_75d81ab782_c_d.jpg

And finished!  I think I will leave it as is.  No need to mess it up with exhaust and dust.  I have a feeling this was kept pretty clean.  Tomoor I'll make some better images and post into the gallery.

51532784290_e3d0ea0f1b_c_d.jpg

I want to build another liaison aircraft.  I'll have to find one.

--John

• Like 11

Hi John,

What a great result with an attractive subject. I agree that with you, the GB has also raised my interest in the liaison aircraft. @CliffB has certainly given us the opportunity to showcase some interesting subjects.

Ray